Overlanding (adventure travel) has been gaining popularity, but it has been around for a while. In 2012, forum member ‘Flexfab’ turned his 1992 Ford Ranger in to an ‘Expedition Truck’.
According to Flexfab:
I bought this truck new in 1992 and promptly took it to Baja for 3 months. The truck has been nothing but “Old Faithful”, TTB and all. After wallowing around North America with the worst bump-steer ever engineered into a vehicle, it was time to turn it into a proper camping rig. Just thought I’d share a few of the build shots and some poser finish shots.
Quick List of Modifications:
- 35 x 17 Pro Comp Extreme MTs
- 79 full-size Bronco front axle
- 4.56 gears and an ARB
- Bilstein 2.5 x 12 coil-overs
- Bilstein air bumps
- 5.0 Atlas transfer case
- 92 F-150 8.8 rear axle
- 4.56 gears and a Detroit Locker
- All Pro Baja leaf rear springs
- Bilstein 5150 rear shocks
- 3″ Deaver shackles with flipped brackets
- 15 gal extra fuel cell
- 12,000 lb. winch
- 160 amp alternator
- Bushwacker cut out flares
- Tepui Kukenam roof top tent
Check out Flexfab’s ‘92 Ranger Expedition Truck‘ build thread.
Click the photos to enlarge – click the arrows to load more.