• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ray's 83 Build Thread

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
I recently picked up an 83 4x4 long bed that's in pretty good shape but has a bad motor. This thread will serve to document my progress as I slowly put her back together.

20240410_173206.jpg
20240410_173214.jpg
20240410_173236.jpg
20240410_225548.jpg
Screenshot_20240411_091403_Brave.jpg

I had another 83 a few years ago. I really loved that truck, but sadly severe frame rust did it in. Ever since, I've been keeping a loose eye out for another. A little over a month ago, facebook stuck this very blue little 83 in my marketplace feed for a hard to pass up price. The previous owner had bought it as his first truck and pulled the original motor after it lost compression in one of the cylinders. He bought another 2.3 out of a mustang, but lost interest before installing. Unfortunately for me, he left the "good" motor open to the elements and it was full of water when I pulled it out of the bed and put it on my engine stand. It was locked up tight. I found another motor via the wanted section here, and made the long trip from Missouri to Michigan to pick it up. I brought my brother and niece along for the ride. We drove the 4 hours from my brother's place to our hotel with my doors off, and the next morning we got to see one of the Great Lakes in person for the first time. Picking up the motor was a great experience. The PO and his brother were great to talk to and very helpful. They were very happy to have part of his truck being saved from the scrapper, and I was very happy to be able to help keep a piece of it on the road.

20240518_185532.jpg
20240519_102432.jpg
20240519_233641.jpg

The "new" engine is fuel injected from an 85 parts truck. The original was carb'd. I have a 91 parts truck that's complete, but with a knocking 2.3L, so I have all of the fuel injection pieces. Just need to figure out what needs to transfer over. That's the next step.

Uncle Gump

Boomers gotta Boom
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Cool project... looking forward to your progress.

One of these days... I plan to go meet that fella from southern Michigan... check out his Bronco II and drink all his coffee.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
a fine start.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I agree, nice start...

If you want to use the fuel injection stuff from the '91 on the '85 block I've made a few posts about what's needed to get the crank sensor mounted up, if you can't find it I can search at some point... or type it up again... whateves... :), staying with the TFI ignition isn't hard either but if the wiring is set for one way...

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cool project... looking forward to your progress.

One of these days... I plan to go meet that fella from southern Michigan... check out his Bronco II and drink all his coffee.
Wait, there was coffee? Nobody said anything about coffee!

I agree, nice start...

If you want to use the fuel injection stuff from the '91 on the '85 block I've made a few posts about what's needed to get the crank sensor mounted up, if you can't find it I can search at some point... or type it up again... whateves... :), staying with the TFI ignition isn't hard either but if the wiring is set for one way...
I'll have to research that. I assumed the blocks were the same. Well damn. If it's too difficult, I can get pretty much anything from the truck I need. Just have to pay the shipping, which is awesome. He's been great to work with. But I assume the fuel injection from 91 gives a little more power/efficiency?

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The dual plug stuff (yeah, heads and intake are different, not a big deal, can switch to single plug easy enough) does run a little better, I think it gained like 10 hp or so over the '85-88 setup.

The swap isn't too bad, it's mostly making a template for some bolts on the front of the block for the crank sensor, I don't remember if you can use the old oil pan with the new front seal housing but an '85 block has the oil pan gasket in the rear bearing cap and the aluminum pan uses a gasket in the pan, I've filled the rear cap with JB weld before which worked but I made the mistake of using the slow cure stuff...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Nice looking truck!

Don't see many "3 hole" radios these days. If you're going to change the radio to a DIN, consider grabbing a later dash trim panel, and save that 3 holer dash.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The dual plug stuff (yeah, heads and intake are different, not a big deal, can switch to single plug easy enough) does run a little better, I think it gained like 10 hp or so over the '85-88 setup.

The swap isn't too bad, it's mostly making a template for some bolts on the front of the block for the crank sensor, I don't remember if you can use the old oil pan with the new front seal housing but an '85 block has the oil pan gasket in the rear bearing cap and the aluminum pan uses a gasket in the pan, I've filled the rear cap with JB weld before which worked but I made the mistake of using the slow cure stuff...
You don't happen to have a link to the thread where you did that, do you? I tried searching, but had no luck.

Nice looking truck!

Don't see many "3 hole" radios these days. If you're going to change the radio to a DIN, consider grabbing a later dash trim panel, and save that 3 holer dash.
Thanks :) I don't plan to cut up the dash. This is how I'm upgrading my tunes:

20240522_093549.jpg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks :) I don't plan to cut up the dash. This is how I'm upgrading my tunes:

View attachment 111266

Cool!

For some reason . . . that gives me the urge to go see a drive-in movie.

Reminds me, that I used to have a pretty good collection of the old cast zinc drive-in speaker boxes; which I used to forget about until I was driving away . . .

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Instead of doing anything that gets it closer to running and driving, I spent my evening getting this:

20240521_180837.jpg

Bought it from a really nice kid with a 2000 4.0 that has some nasty sounding electrical gremlins. He was selling the bar to fund repairs. I hope he gets it going.

I wasn't sure if it would fit my 83 without modification, but it went right in. Ford really didn't change much with these trucks. Even looks like my truck had one before, which explains the rust on the wheel wells.

20240521_212943.jpg

I bought some Blazer International 100W off road lights to finish off the look and they arrived this morning. Gotta love that one day shipping. Not bad for 23 bucks a piece. They're really just for looks anyway. I might paint them eventually, I hear they like to rust. I also picked up some "inspired by KC" smiley face hard covers for them off eBay. I figured knock off KC covers for my knock off KC lights was fitting.

light covers.jpg

I drug the truck out into the light to see how it looks. I'm pretty happy with it. The camera makes the lights look small from the front, but it's just the fisheye effect. They look better in person.

20240522_151643.jpg

20240522_151716.jpg

20240522_151733.jpg

20240522_151820.jpg

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cool!

For some reason . . . that gives me the urge to go see a drive-in movie.

Reminds me, that I used to have a pretty good collection of the old cast zinc drive-in speaker boxes; which I used to forget about until I was driving away . . .
My brother's wife has a 62 Fairlane and he bought some old zinc drive in speaker boxes to convert to bluetooth speakers so that when they go to the drive-in, they can hang them on the windows. Don't know if he ever actually did it... lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You don't happen to have a link to the thread where you did that, do you? I tried searching, but had no luck.
Found a few, slightly different context each thread so I'll just throw a few out

ONE TWO THREE

I'm sure I could find more but this might cover it, I've tossed my template each time I think, if I didn't my garage is a disaster so might as well have...

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So are you just drilling holes into the front of the block and tapping them, then? Don't suppose you have any pictures from when you did it to yours, do you?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yes, it's just drilling and tapping 3 6mmx1mm pitch holes in the front of the block. I just looked and I don't have any pictures, I know one of them went through into the crankcase but none went into water jackets or anything that I remember.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I guess the one in the crankcase gets sealed by the bolt. Did you use Teflon tape on that one? Have you had any leaks from it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals