If your 1995-2002 Ford Ranger lost its reverse, or is having troubles shifting, you may have a blown valve body gasket. See the TSB below, followed by information on fixing it.
Ford TSB 03-22-10
You can see the full .pdf version of Ford TSB 03-22-10 HERE
- 1995-2001 Explorer
- 1995-2002 Ranger
- 1996-1997 Aerostar
- 2000-2002 Explorer Sport Trac
- 2001-2002 Explorer Sport Trac
- 1997-2001 Mercury Mountaineer
This article supersedes TSB’s 03-11-9, 02-13-8 and 02-08-2 to update the model coverage.
Some vehicles built prior to 12/1/2001 may exhibit the following shift and engagement conditions:
- No 2nd Gear
- No 3rd Gear
- No Engine Braking In Manual 1st.
- Out of specification pressures controlled by the transmission main control valve body separator plate may be the cause.
Verify the condition, the main control valve body separator plate may need to be updated to the latest level. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
CAUTION: A NEW SEPARATOR 7Z490 MUST BE USED WHEN INSTALLING THE SPECIAL SERVICE KIT 7M203 OR ADDITIONAL TRANSMISSION DAMAGE MAY OCCUR. REFER TO THE PARTS APPLICATION CHART IN THIS ARTICLE FOR CORRECT SEPARATOR PLATE PART LISTING.
NOTE: THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER CONDITIONS OR COMPONENTS THAT MAY CAUSE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS AND IS ONLY WRITTEN TO COVER THESE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.
NOTE: AN IN-LINE SERVICE FILTER IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE ADDED OR REPLACED FOR THIS TSB.
1) Verify that one or more of the following conditions exist.
Low Line Pressure While In Drive At WOT
No 2nd And/Or No 3rd Gear
No Engine Braking In Manual 1st
DTC P0732, P0733 Or P1762
2) Install Kit (3L5Z-7M203-JA) to update the main control valve body assembly, refer to the installation procedures found in the kit.
3) Reinstall the main control by continuing to follow the installation steps listed in the Workshop Manual, in-vehicle service, main control valve body.
4) After completing the procedure, verify the condition has been corrected.
5) Clear all DTCs.
PART APPLICATION CHART
95/96 Models ONLY
- 95/97 Models Separator Plate to Case Gasket 1 2L5Z-7C155-AA ALL
- 95/97 Models Separator Plate to Main Control Gasket 1 2L5Z-7D100-BA ALL
95/96 Models – ALL
- Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 F5TZ-7A008-CA 95GT-AA/BA/CA/DA/EA/FA/ GA;96GT-BA/CADB/EB/FA/ GA/HA/KA/MA/NA
97 Models ONLY
- 97 2.3L Ranger Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 F77Z-7A008-AB 97GT-GC
- 97 3.0L OHV Ranger/Aerostar Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 F77Z-7A008-AB 97GT-EC/FC/MC/NC/RE/SE
- 97 4.0L OHV Ranger/Aerostar Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 F77Z-7A008-CB 97GT-KE/LE
- 97 4.0L OHV Explorer/Mountaineer Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 F77Z-7A008-DB 97GT-KF/LF
- 97 4.0L SOHC Explorer/Mountaineer Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 F77Z-7A008-EB 97GT-AE/BE
1998-2001 Models ONLY
- 98/01 2.5L Ranger Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 1L5Z-7Z490-DA 98GT-GA; XL5P-CA
- 98/00 3.0L Ranger Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 1L5Z-7Z490-EA 98GT-EB/FB; XL5P-AA/BA
- 98/00 4.0L – EI Ranger Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 1L5Z-7Z490-FA 98GT-KB/LB; XL5P-DA/EA/FA
- 98/00 4.0L – EI Explorer Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 1L5Z-7Z490-GA 98GT-CB/DB; XL2P- EA/FA
- 98/00 4.0L – SOHC Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 1L5Z-7Z490-HA 98GT-AA/BA; XL2P- CA/DA
2001-2002 Models ONLY
- 2001/2002 2.3L Ranger Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 1L5Z-7Z490-AA 1L5P-CA
- 2001/2002 3.0L Ranger Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 1L5Z-7Z490-BA 1L5P-AA/BA
- 2001/2002 4.0L-SOHC – ALL Plate – Valve Body Separator 1 1L5Z-7Z490-CA 1L5P-DA/EA
- 1995-2002 ALL as Listed Above Valve Body Service Kit 1 3L5Z-7M203-JA ALL
PART NUMBER / PART NAME
- 3L5Z-7M203-JA / Valve Body Service Kit
03-11-9, 02-13-8, 02-8-2
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
(Decaying valve body gasket)
(New bonded gasket installed on valve body)
Some people repair the valve bodies by replacing the gasket. Here’s some information and a video that you may find useful:
Ford used the 5R55E in many rear and 4 wheel Drive applications. It is a good transmission but is susceptible to the valve body gasket “blowing out.” The symptom of this in our vehicle was that the transmission missed second gear under acceleration but found a higher gear when we let off the gas pedal. This is an easy problem to diagnose and only requires basic tools. Pull your transmission pan down, remove your valve body and see if either the gasket between the plate and transmission is damaged (as on our Explorer) or the gasket between the plate and valve body is damaged. If they are then you have an inexpensive rewarding fix. If they aren’t you can put your transmission together and know you may have a more expensive problem. This transmission was used in Ford Aerostar, Ranger, Explorer, Thunderbird, Mustang Mazda B-Series pickup, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type. This problem is more common to the mid to late 90s models. Torque specifications for the valve body to transmission bolts are 6-8 foot lbs or 70-90 Inch lbs. The bolts that hold the transmission pan on are 10 foot lbs.
1. Raise and Support the Vehicle 1:20
2. Pull down your transmission pan 1:22
3. Remove your filter 3:22
4. Remove valve body 3:42
5. Replace the gasket 5:51
6. Reinstall the valve body. 6:08