• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What’s going on here? AC or not

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
88 Ranger 2.3L

When I purchased this truck the previous owner told me it never had AC. But from what I understand it seems like it did at one point. Did someone rip out a bunch of components and alter things? Can anyone confirm for me and maybe tell me if I have options of getting AC back again and what that would entail. Please and thank you.

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Yes, it had AC, and "some" of it is still there.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It looks like AC was an option on that trim but was never installed, so not something removed by previous owner

The heater box would have the old evaporator still inside with metal tubes sticking out like this pic:
Even if someone remove compressor and hoses and condenser(in front of radiator), there would be no reason in the world to remove the Evaporator

Yes, would be a lot of work, but doable on any Ranger
Hard part would be to install the evaporator(have to pull that housing off the firewall) and finding the brackets for the 2.3l Compressor

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My guess is someone at some point replaced the heater box and that's what they found? The sticker looks to be an '88 part number at least...

My '97 Ranger has blocked off evaporator port holes in the heater box so it's just got a bunch of dead space in it but I think there was only one heater box by that time... On my '90 I'm on like the third heater box but it's always just been the non AC version...

Look at the belts, if the water pump pulley has two rows of serpentine belts and there's a bracket under the front end of the exhaust manifold which is where an AC compressor would mount there's a chance it did at one point have AC... those things were not on the non AC versions...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The charge sticker and an AC HVAC control head makes me think it was originally equipped. Maybe a repair after a front end collision in the past the condenser and compressor was ditched, but most don't go through the trouble of removing the evaporator.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Very likely had A/C. I would about guarantee it did from the factory.

It has the evap housing for sure obviously. The evaporator probably plugged up with who knows what and got deleted in the name of better airflow. Been there, done that personally.

You have the button on the dash which is kind of an obscure thing for someone to go out of their way to change. If not factory A/C it wouldn't have the button. If dealer added A/C it would have a different button (usually round and cheap looking)

Kinda neither here nor there but it looks like you have the full A/C style fan shroud as well.

For the most part you need all the stuff you would need to revive a dead system anyway. Evaporator, drier, orifice tube, compressor belt and probably a condenser. It might be lurking under the rad support and it might have been capped. Probably not but a guy can hope.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i dont remember exactly...but doing v8 swaps i would make a plate for that style box...usually we were deleting ac but sometimes we were just modding it a bit and keeping it...though with lower flow...from being tighter.

anyway...i remember not having to completely pull the box to get the evaporator out every time...but that may have been because i was making a sheet metal piece to make room...and just hacked it out...

so it might be pretty easy to replace all your stuff and take it to get pulled down and charged....maybe 800 bux all in.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont remember exactly...but doing v8 swaps i would make a plate for that style box...usually we were deleting ac but sometimes we were just modding it a bit and keeping it...though with lower flow...from being tighter.

anyway...i remember not having to completely pull the box to get the evaporator out every time...but that may have been because i was making a sheet metal piece to make room...and just hacked it out...

so it might be pretty easy to replace all your stuff and take it to get pulled down and charged....maybe 800 bux all in.
I didn't have to pull a valve cover when I put my airbox in with a V8. 'twas tight though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals