• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Little Green Turd

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Haha no offence, but probably not:D What do you do for work?
Automation Engineer is the title. I do everything from design to trouble shooting on a variety of different things. Its nice because I am rarely caught in a boring rut. Common work for us is programming PLCs, CAD work, and putting industrial instrument packages together. I am going to Utah for a meeting about a program I worked on for the Holly Refinery.

Hey if you are still having trouble with the spring retainer bolts on the axle beam just use a long extension and go through the top of the bucket. thats how I put mine on the last time.

BTW I still never got around to pulling that crossmember out. I've been working on my new toy I bought.
I did use the lone extension but I didn't have a straight shot. I had to use a universal joint in the extension and I wasn't getting anywhere. Before I try again, I am gonna heat the nuts up. I think I had to do that last time. And I distinctly remember anti-siezing them before I put them back together, but that didn't do as much good as I thought it did.

Don't worry about the crossmember. Get to it when you get to it. I'll bug you more when I really need it. I have plenty to keep me occupied at the moment.

Is the new project the F350 you bought? What are you doing to it?

Last edited:

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
Is the new project the F350 you bought? What are you doing to it?[/QUOTE]

Thats it. I'm painting the frame and cab/bed underside. gonna prob repaint the whole truck eventually. I bought all the badges, bumper, grile, lights, etc to convert to 06 style. Its runs great has about 3k in aftermarket goodies on it.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Is the new project the F350 you bought? What are you doing to it?
Thats it. I'm painting the frame and cab/bed underside. gonna prob repaint the whole truck eventually. I bought all the badges, bumper, grile, lights, etc to convert to 06 style. Its runs great has about 3k in aftermarket goodies on it.[/QUOTE]

Pictures?

I want to put the 05 Harley Lights on mine and just replace the broken stock grill. I may be able to use your leftover grill if its in good shape. Also want to add factory fogs.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I finally got the front axle out! :yahoo:

Started at 10 pm Friday night and worked till 5 am. Finished pulling the axle Saturday afternoon.

Here is the progress:

Fuel for productivity... West Newton Pizza House (the best pizza ever) and a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon (great cheap beer) :icon_thumby:

First Coil Out... I had 4.0L explorer coils on here. This is them next to the new Duff coils. Lower retaining hardware is laid out.

Here is the removal process. I needed an external coil spring compressor to help get the nut lined so I did not need a universal joint. I applied pressure to the bottom of the axle housing with a floor jack. This allow me to get a 27mm socket on the drivers side and 1 1/8" on the passengers side (thanks to rust and rot) to remove the nuts. To get them started, I had to use a 4' breaker bar extension.

Some of the toys in the garage. My F250 in the background, Joey's 2005 Honda 400EX, and Joey's dad's 2007 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic. :icon_cheers:

To remove the studs to separate the radius arms is warmed the studs with a small propane torch and then cooled them in water to loosen up the loctite and rust that has been building on them for 18 years. I used a 1 1/8" ratcheting combination wrench with a second wrench as a cheater. The deepwell socket I had would not clear the stud, so these came out but hand. I used the same setup to loosen the radius arm nuts as well. But I was able use an impact wrench once I broke them loose. :D

As it sat 5am Saturday morning...
:icon_cheers:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Saturday around 2 pm work resumed... :icon_twisted:

First Radius arm off

Front out... Passenger side needed a B.F.H. to get the radius arm off. :thefinger:

I separated the tie rod ends and the slip yoke to make for easier movement. I removed the sway bar brackets because I see no use for them. I just have to beat the axle pivot bushings out so I can get the new James Diff ones in. Given the past track record with bushings... that should be a real fun time :icon_thumby:

Nearly empty frame... Joey torched a few rivets off. Still working on removing riveted brackets. :annoyed: But once they are all off, I will clean stuff up and hit the frame with some rustoleum so the new lift can go on! :icon_bounceblue:

Here are two comparison shots.

This is the old and new drivers side beam drop bracket. The difference in quality between one manufactured of 0.250" plate and welded and a factory bent one is staggering :shok:

And the big one... the driver's side stock radius arm to the Duff radius arm. :icon_surprised:
I don't think much comment is needed for this one. See for yourself...

That heim joint has a 1" bolt in it for a size reference. :yahoo:

Ended the weekend by going out on the quad for a ride. It always nice to get away and clear your mind. :icon_cheers:

More to come... And Happy Birthday to my dad! :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Lookin good man! I would gusset that drop bracket tho, just to be safe. I cant believe I missed this build, TTB ftw!!

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Lookin good man! I would gusset that drop bracket tho, just to be safe. I cant believe I missed this build, TTB ftw!!
Thanks!

Where would you gusset them? The passengers side already has an additional mount to the frame. They have a good quality fell to them, unlike the stock ones :icon_rofl:

I can believe it, there are too may builds on here to keep track of!

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
There's a writeup in the article in the tech library on where to gusset them.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
There's a writeup in the article in the tech library on where to gusset them.
I believe this is what you mean: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/repairing_superlift_brackets.htm

The only reason I will hesitate to remove Duff's nice powdercoat is because the brace they added on the side will mount forward onto the frame adding the front to rear flex support. While it is not on the tabs you mention, I think it will support the bracket as a whole. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention though, I overlooked that in a heart beat. :icon_thumby:

To support this, I have yet to hear any complaints of Duff's brackets and I am more than willing to try them in stock form. I have found tons of odds and ends to change as I go, but my goal now is to get this thing back on the road. I love driving it and I am getting anxious :icon_bounceblue:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
honestly, i dont think you'll need to gusset a duff bracket. i cant recall of ever heaing of one breaking. the duff brackets are probably more stout than the newer skyjacker brackets. they have that piece that mounts to the frame above/in front of the bracket. i doubt you'll have problems unless they start rusting, but that should be a while

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I feel ya 100% on that one brother!
The F250 tends to hurt my wallet, or what's left of it :icon_rofl:

honestly, i dont think you'll need to gusset a duff bracket. i cant recall of ever heaing of one breaking. the duff brackets are probably more stout than the newer skyjacker brackets. they have that piece that mounts to the frame above/in front of the bracket. i doubt you'll have problems unless they start rusting, but that should be a while
They do feel exceptionally strong. I sure hope they won't rust quick. Rust is like a big ol' kick in the teeth. All that hard work... aaaaaannnnnddd its gone. Just gone. (South Park Quote) :annoyed:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Well I got back to get some more work done this weekend. I've been traveling for work. I was in Salt Lake City two weeks ago and Detroit last weekend. Heading back to Detroit again this week... Fortunately I have a quad riding trip next weekend (a.k.a. Man weekend) and an Alan Jackson concert Saturday night. It will be a much need weekend.

Anyway, I got a bunch of those damn rivets off. Passenger side coil bucket and tranny crossmember mount are off. Passenger beam axle pivot bracket and stock radius arm brackets are off too. I'll post pictures this week.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I got a bunch of those damn rivets off. Passenger side coil bucket and tranny crossmember mount are off. Passenger beam axle pivot bracket and stock radius arm brackets are off too. I'll post pictures this week.
:icon_rofl: I know EXACTLY how you feel! I just got done doing my coil bucket mod this weekend and had to grind all those POS things off.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl: I know EXACTLY how you feel! I just got done doing my coil bucket mod this weekend and had to grind all those POS things off.
Agreed. I found it was easier and less painful to grind them. I torched the passenger side and the pivot bracket. I set fire to a lot of patches of oil residue on the crossmember and the old shock boot and bushing on the coil bucket. I also manage to catch my jeans on fire. Burnt for a good bit before I noticed it, caught me by surprise lmao!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals