Engine Ignition Component Location:
(4) Motorcraft DG578 Ignition Coils
(4) Retaining studs P/N W715638
(4) Spark Plub Boots P/N WR6160
(4) Motorcraft SP578 Spark Plugs
Ignition Coil-On-Plug Removal:
1. Disconnect battery terminals.
2. Remove the following items:
1. Remove the wiring retainer.
2. Remove the wiring guide.
3. Disconnect the Low Pressure Fuel Hose.
4. Detach the electrical harness and hose retainers.
NOTE: If equipped with a sliding cover over the locking tab, then slide the cover back to gain access to the tab.
Depress the locking tab on the ignition coil-on-plug electrical connector, and disconnect the electrical connector from the ignition coil-on-plug.
5. NOTE: Use compressed air to remove any foreign material from the ignition coil-on-plugs and surrounding area before removing the ignition coil-on-plugs.
NOTE: When removing the ignition coil-on-plugs, a slight twisting motion will break the seal and ease removal.
Remove the ignition coil-on-plugs retainers and the remove the ignition coil-on-plugs.
Spark Plug Removal & Installation:
1. Remove the ignition coil-on-plugs. (above)
2. Use compressed air to remove any foreign material in the spark plug well before removing the spark plugs.
3. NOTICE: Do not remove the spark plugs when the engine is hot or cold soaked. Spark plug thread or cylinder head damage can occur. Make sure that the engine is warm (hand touch after cooling down) prior to spark plug removal.
NOTICE: If a spark plug is dropped, internal damage may result and the spark plug must be discarded. The use of a damaged spark plug may cause cylinder misfire resulting in engine damage.
Remove the spark plugs.
Inspect using Ford’s Spark Plug Inspection Guide if necessary.
4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Torque: 106 lb.in (12 Nm)
Ignition Coil-On-Plug Installation:
1. Inspect the ignition coil-on-plug assembly for cracks, rips or tears. Replace any damaged coil-on-plug assemblies.
2. Install the ignition coil-on-plugs , then install and tighten the ignition coil-on-plugs retainers.
Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
3. NOTE: If equipped with a sliding cover over the locking tab, then slide the cover back to gain access to the tab.
Connect the ignition coil-on-plug electrical connectors.
Attach the electrical harness and hose retainers.
4. Reconnect the following items:
1. Install the wiring retainer.
2. Refix the wiring guide.
3. Connect the Low Pressure Fuel Hose.