• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rich bank 2 and 1, Bank 2 is worse. I have a LTFT of around 29%

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You are down to
Mis-labelled injector size, and if these are 2nd set with same issue then not likely
or
The computer, which would make sense if you had same issue before engine work

Yes, O2 sensors would be at 0.0 or 0.1volt when out in the "fresh air", lol

Ok so I put the heads in and its still rich. So now Im gonna start tomorrow rechecking that fuel pressure. This sucks. Anyway to test PCM? Just gotta put another one in to find out dont you. And back to clogged catalytics? Head is SPINNING.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, no test for PCM

You basically eliminate every thing else and whats left is the PCM
And in 2002 that means dealing with PATS(passive anti-theft system)

So you need a PCM with at least one "programmed" key

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
PCM go bad like this? Thats crazy man. I guess ill start looking around for deals. Im still gonna check fuel pressure ONE MORE TIME. Fingers totally crossed on this one. But PCM hunt is underway.

Pupski

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Hi just wanted to share my experience with my 2003 Rager XLT 3.0 GAS U VIN. I have had a mis on #2 for a while. I thought it was diagnosed as bad compression however thought I would try injectors so I bought 6 from Amazon and stated exact fit. After installation truck ran like crazy both banks rich black smoke. Ordered a damper regulator and it shed exact fit but came as flex fuel so got the right one. Replaced may and both oxygen sensors figured wouldn't hurt never changed. So still running rich and then then I remembered that the oem injectors had blue and green orings. So figured they sent me flex injectors. Order oem injectors and truck ran good got money back from Amasonl to make thing right but just don't make same mistakes I did. The mis is gone 👏.

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi just wanted to share my experience with my 2003 Rager XLT 3.0 GAS U VIN. I have had a mis on #2 for a while. I thought it was diagnosed as bad compression however thought I would try injectors so I bought 6 from Amazon and stated exact fit. After installation truck ran like crazy both banks rich black smoke. Ordered a damper regulator and it shed exact fit but came as flex fuel so got the right one. Replaced may and both oxygen sensors figured wouldn't hurt never changed. So still running rich and then then I remembered that the oem injectors had blue and green orings. So figured they sent me flex injectors. Order oem injectors and truck ran good got money back from Amasonl to make thing right but just don't make same mistakes I did. The mis is gone 👏.

Thanks for that, well I bought a pressure gauge and I have 62psi of fuel at idle. So the fuel pump is ruled out I am hoping. So I had the OEM injectors in, and this rich thing started, so I bought another set that was for a mustang, then I accidentally bought flex injectors, the same thing with the black smoke, so I went back and bought "U" type and made sure of it this time. So I'm reluctant to buy another set but hell, I'm this far in ill do it.

So I have
ULTRA-POWER FJ463 is installed now. Do you think I should really go back and get these? Motorcraft 4L5Z9F593A

Or do I buy another refurbished PCM and go that route? Both are gonna make my wallet cry.

Again thanks to everyone for your help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you got the "V" type, gas only, and still got Rich Codes that would rule out everything BUT the computer
If Rich codes went away then there is a gas only computer in your Ranger, and you would know

That's really the only difference between flex and gas only, the computer
People have been swapping in flex engines into gas only Rangers and visa versa for years, head chamber designs don't seem to matter at all, as long as you have the same heads on both sides

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you got the "V" type, gas only, and still got Rich Codes that would rule out everything BUT the computer
If Rich codes went away then there is a gas only computer in your Ranger, and you would know

That's really the only difference between flex and gas only, the computer
People have been swapping in flex engines into gas only Rangers and visa versa for years, head chamber designs don't seem to matter at all, as long as you have the same heads on both sides
So I forgot to mention, shes got erratic shifting as well, could this all possibly be a bad or failing PCM? And I thought "U" type was gas only?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then yes, if V is flex and thats what you are using then try U

Automatics have several possibilities if shifting is not smooth, computer would be way down on the list

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have U type in but they aren't Motorcraft so Ford keeps saying that's gotta be the problem but I had the OEM's in when this whole issue started. It's got me so confused but I may just bite the bullet and get the Motorcraft brand. $300 and I know the issue is still going to be there darn it. Could the timing chain be stretched causing this? When the heads were off cyl. one was dead on the damper timing marks 0. I just don't get it. Now I'm looking at PCM's but I just kinda assumed that if something like that failed she wouldn't start at all.

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Then yes, if V is flex and thats what you are using then try U

Automatics have several possibilities if shifting is not smooth, computer would be way down on the list
The timing is spot on, I just ran out there and checked it with a timing light. I don't understand. Injectors DO make sense, but let's say I buy these Motorcraft brand injectors and the issue is still there what next? PCM right?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I looked but could not find the LBS/HR(pounds per hour) on 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0l fuel injectors, flex or gas only
Which to me is odd, I found guess's but nothing Ford confirmed

Read that the Mustang V8 injectors worked, 19/21lbs/hr

On one Ford OEM site had:
2004 Ford Ranger Edge, Tremor, XL, XLT 3.0L V6 - Flex, 3.0L V6 - Gas
2003 Ford Ranger Edge, XL, XLT 3.0L V6 - Flex, 3.0L V6 - Gas
2002 Ford Ranger Edge, XL, XLT 3.0L V6 - Flex, 3.0L V6 - Gas
2001 Ford Ranger Edge, XL, XLT 3.0L V6 - Flex, 3.0L V6 - Gas

So same injectors for flex and gas only, and it was 21lbs/hr

Curious on if the ones you have now are close to 21lbs/hr?
The 1998 3.0l Flex were 24.5lbs/hr but that was with fuel sensor, so way too big for 2002 3.0l computer

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The timing is spot on, I just ran out there and checked it with a timing light. I don't understand what's happening. Injectors DO make sense.
I looked but could not find the LBS/HR(pounds per hour) on 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0l fuel injectors, flex or gas only
Which to me is odd, I found guess's but nothing Ford confirmed

Read that the Mustang V8 injectors worked, 19/21lbs/hr

On one Ford OEM site had:
2004 Ford Ranger Edge, Tremor, XL, XLT 3.0L V6 - Flex, 3.0L V6 - Gas
2003 Ford Ranger Edge, XL, XLT 3.0L V6 - Flex, 3.0L V6 - Gas
2002 Ford Ranger Edge, XL, XLT 3.0L V6 - Flex, 3.0L V6 - Gas
2001 Ford Ranger Edge, XL, XLT 3.0L V6 - Flex, 3.0L V6 - Gas

So same injectors for flex and gas only, and it was 21lbs/hr

Curious on if the ones you have now are close to 21lbs/hr?
The 1998 3.0l Flex were 24.5lbs/hr but that was with fuel sensor, so way too big for 2002 3.0l computer
The gas-only ones I have installed are flow rated at like 17 or something. Don't know exactly but the Flex-fuel injectors were what you said, like 24 or something. And man it ran like dog s*** with flex injectors. The U types cleaned it up a bit but I'm wondering if I went too cheap with it. Should I just get the Motorcraft U-type Injectors? I found a computer for $125 with no key, when they flash it to my VIN will my key still work?

The THING with the Motorcraft injectors is they want $300 buckeroos. This all started with those same brand injectors in. I feel like I'm chasing my tail here. lol

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This all started with those same brand injectors in. I feel like I'm chasing my tail here. lol
What brand did the rich code start with?
What was model number

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The earlier 3.0ls ran 14lb/hr (14.5), up thru 1997 when fuel pressure changed to 60psi, and they switch to 21lb/hr

TonyG1989

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The earlier 3.0ls ran 14lb/hr (14.5), up thru 1997 when fuel pressure changed to 60psi, and they switch to 21lb/hr
21 pounds an hour had fuel pouring from the tail. Swear on my life. 14 sounds right. Model number for the injectors I thought were bad and threw in the dumpster? lol. Motorcraft 4L5Z9F593A Thats the OEM injector and thats what I had in when this whole thing started. Im about to buy them again lofl. Im good at throwing money away thats for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals