• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project "ForD55" - 4D55 Turbo Diesel - 94 Ranger 4x4

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Eh.. I don't have a welder. Eh.. I do but it's a Arc Welder.. Eh.. It never turns out right. I've been planing on a MIG for a while, just haven't pulled the trigger. Looking for the right unit. Watching CL for one with a cart, bottle.. etc.

I like the newer front end styles, so I think that it is going to be the way to go. I could bring it somewhere to be modified I suppose.. but eh.. I think I have my mind pretty well made up. I don't think it would be tough to do in the grand scheme of things.

It shouldn't take me long to find out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Huh, my arc welds usually turn out ok, but my MIG welds suck. I don't weld so much as punch big holes in the material.

I do like the newer front ends better as well. I really like the one that Dweano is selling right now. I'd buy it in a heart beat if it wasn't in Canadia.

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I don't weld much, and know that I need a lot more practice before hacking up something without knowing I'll burn through it.

Yeah Man! Dweano's Thread was the reason I wanted to do the front end swap. His ended up great, and he went both ways with it. I didn't know he had it for sale. I like the TTB setup myself, I know that there is a mixed crowd out there about it. But having that, with the new nose, I think is pretty neat. I think I can make it happen.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, his blue one is up for sale, at a ridiculous price because he doesn't want to sell it. He hurt himself and can't keep up with working on it.

I'm kinda attached to my Ranger after 24 years though.

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that's unfortunate. Bad ass truck. Feel sorry for the guy.

I've had 4 Rangers

89 2.9 2WD Extended Cab
93 4.0 4WD Single Cab
02 2.3 2WD Extended Cab
and now,
94 2.3 *Diesel* 4WD Extended Cab

Been attached to all of them. Really liked my 89 2.9. We rebuilt it for my first vehicle when I was 16 after it had already went 280,000 miles. It grendaded a rod. My 02 I have now has the 2.3 duratec .. I can get 28-30 MPG on Highway in a Extended Cab with a 3" lift! Smallish tires though (235/75/15)

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Alright, so I'll admit it. When I first got the idea to start this project, I had / still have a very elementary understanding on a lot of the fundamental aspects of the swap. I had to do a ton of reading, trying to educate myself on what to do and what not to do. I hope that those who read my thoughts and see my process can achieve a understanding that I had to get piece by piece thread to thread. I also want to welcome those that may have a greater understanding to share their thoughts on what they like or don't.. and improvements. To get as far as I have I relied on those who have done similar projects to explain what they did and how they did it, If I can be a tool for anybody else attempting something similar, I would like to be.

So.. that said, here is my starting circuit:

And here is my 'engine harness' that I'm going to be putting together. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make sure that the stock instruments can read the values of the engine. I would Ideally like to make it look as factory as possible. I'm big on factory looking mods.

joecool85

Reaction score
What type and year vehicle did your donor engine come out of?

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
The 4D55 came in a variety of different things:

1985-1987 Ranger (not the 1983-1985 .. that was a N/A Perkins Diesel)
1983-1985 D50 Ram
*Bunch of Overseas Vehicles*

It could also be found in some heavy Mitsubishi forklifts / equip.

The engine I have is an 86 I believe, and they still produce this engine (although much upgraded) in Europe. It is labeled as a 2.5 4D56. All the upgraded components can be fitted on the 4D55.

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Busy doing work! So I re-geared the truck, was previously 3.27's now 3.73's. Beauty is the axle / front pumpkin were out of a low milage truck (130k) so I can say truthfully say I've touched the entire drivetrain here. I also replaced all the bearings and seals, brand new front brakes, and rear brakes. Synthetic Gear oil, and C-Clip eliminator mod. Also shimmed up the springs to level out the truck, with brand new shocks on the front and rear. Got the flywheel machined, and started to put it together. Brand new clutch and throwout bearing with custom line. She is ready to go in now!

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You certainly are being thorough! That little rig should be good for a few years once its all done. All I did was swap the engine and bell housing (had to modify the front cover of the tranny to accept the older style slave cylinder).

Interesting that you had trouble clearing the rad cap though. I didn't have that problem and I wouldn't have figured the 1st gen would have more room under the hood.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Really nice!!! That truck will kick ass. Keep up the good work.:icon_welder:

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!

I think that maybe the water 'spout' might be sitting higher because of my motor mount placement possibly? It didn't have the holes already in the frame for the bracket on the passenger side. Regardless, I think I have that issue defeated. I'm glad you you can see my progress and see what I'm doing. You've been a big help outside of the forums.

joecool85

Reaction score
Great progress, you're going to have a new truck when you're done!

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Guys.

Here is some work on the interior.

Power for Electric Seats , OHC , Pyrometer , Boost Gauge
Glow Plug Momentary Switch With LED Light & Water in Fuel sensor LED
Electric Fan bypass Switch
Fog light Switch

Also made a custom shifter to try to make it a little more different. I Also put in a New Pioneer Head unit with Bluetooth for hands free.

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual

http://youtu.be/jKdV51NhBA0

Sorry haven't been very good about progress, it's been crazy here. It's working out really good, I tried to take a short video driving, but it was kinda difficult by myself. That, and my phone started to run out of memory. I've been tinkering with fuel and timing, and there is a lot you can tweak on these things. EGT's look good, I haven't seen anything over 1050 ish, and that was crawling up the base of snoqualmie pass. Boosts good, sounds good, a ton of fun to drive. OH! and about 33-35 mpg city and 39-40 hwy. I've never filled up below 30 mpg!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals