• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunner RC Build

njdriver02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
once you your up an running adding some weights in certain places will help if perform more like the real thing, will it have brakes, i know its not conventional for RC but what the hell

TayCo 7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when i started reading this thread i never imagined it would be such a freaking realistic build holy cow ! im subscribed

njdriver02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
any updates on the build??

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm afraid not. Since I'm relying on other people and their machining I'm kind of at their pace..... With the holidays here that pace is sloooow. I'm mainly hung up right now on getting the material for the frame rails. Apparently 3/4" x 3/4" 18 or 20ga steel tube isn't really too standard.

twonole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Man, like many others i cant wait to see this done, and is that a Mamba Monster Maxx? I got a Mamba Maxx system in one of my rustlers and it hauls ass, I couldn't imagine one of those in a 1/10th.

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I personally would have left the fake motor under the hood so you could hide the electric motor underneith it. I was looking at building a 1/10th truggie, but this is sweet. I hope to see this as a complete project someday. Even though this is only 1/6th scale, it still qualifies as a ranger... besides, Its all to scale to look like the real thing

BTW What program are you using to map out you TIB front suspension?
I'm hoping to build a motor compartment more detailed and realistic than the one that was in it. Plus I want to be able to keep the body mounted but be able to get to the motor/trans etc....

I'm using Autocad R14 actually.

This motor is bigger than the motors that are in the Mamba Monster setup. They are 15 series motors and this is a 17 series motor. It's about 1/4" larger in diameter and I believe around 80mm in length.

My goal is to at least get the frame rails and cross members done this week. I've been told the front beams will be laser cut any day now but that keeps dragging out........

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This build is going waaaaaaaaay to slow but finally a little progress. Cutting these frame rails in half was not fun....... They're not close to even either so that'll be fun evening out. Anyway, couldn't help myself. Had to do some mock ups.

I thought these wheels would work out night since they're good to scale but they look odd right now. Maybe after the flared fenders are on and the wheels are cleaned up and painted.

I put the bed on just to see how much extra the fenders will need. Looks about right.

Next will be getting the frame rails smoother out and brazing in the cross bars. Maybe getting the motor and trans mounted and making body mounts.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
This thing is awesome. Let me know if you see another Ranger body somewhere. My nitro truck needs one![/QUOTE]

I saw the exact body he is using at a toys r us.

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Little more progress. Brazed the front and rear of the frame rails together.

I think this is about where the front of the body would rest on the frame? Some is showing but there is normally a bumper there. What do you guys think?

Set the interior back in to see how that is going to work out. It's surprisingly close actually. I'm going to have to cheat the floor boards a little and make room for the frame rails.

Radius arms ready to go.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dude this is sweet. i wish you would go into more detail this is sweet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals