• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunner RC Build

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
One thing the desert guys always stress on is have the shocks at 90° at bump.

You should angle the shocks back a bit. If you have the room then locate the shocks further back near the radius arm. (Back side of the beam). This will give you more useable shock and get more travel with a shorter shock.

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
One thing the desert guys always stress on is have the shocks at 90° at bump.

You should angle the shocks back a bit. If you have the room then locate the shocks further back near the radius arm. (Back side of the beam). This will give you more useable shock and get more travel with a shorter shock.
I had a reply with an image but that wasn't making sense. 90 degrees at bump for the shock? 90 degrees to what?

I do plan on moving the upper shock mounts on the chassis back just a bit.

Last edited:

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
when the beams are at full bump, you want the shock at a 90 to the beam. this gives it a progressively stiffer rate all the way up to full bump. if they were past 90 you would have a falling rate as it got closer to bump which is not a good thing, if it were less then 90 your not getting the full performance possible out of the shock.

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What part of the beam though? The centerline of the hub? You can't measure angles based on the beams surface because those surfaces don't have anything to do with suspension tuning. Does that make any sense?

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the part of the beam where the shock sits whereever that may be. Kinda hard to explain in writing, and I gotta leave work right now, but think about the motion of the shock in relation to the beam for awhile, maybe itll click.

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is the angle you are referring to measured from the side view or front view? I don't understand how you can base an angular measurement off a surface of something that isn't relative to anything else. The beams surfaces change on looks. Ill try and make a few drawings tomorrow and throw some angles on them so you can reply. I like this stuff. It makes me think!

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well the bed is cut off, pulled the headlights and grill and cut out the fake engine.

Started on the cab wall. After I got the piece cut out I realized that they painted the clear window blue to try and make it look like part of the cab wall. I'm going to redo it and cut that part off the window so the window is clear only and make the cab wall all one piece.

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
After thinking about this last night I think I know where you guys are coming from so I did a quick drawing to show what angles my setup had. If it's not 90 degrees to the beam them leverage works against you.

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Still waiting on a few things to work out before getting into the good stuff. Managed to cut out the cab wall and get it glued into place. I'll get it smoothed out next.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
After thinking about this last night I think I know where you guys are coming from so I did a quick drawing to show what angles my setup had. If it's not 90 degrees to the beam them leverage works against you.

Now from the side shot it should also be about 90° to the rad arms.

Just so you know that your not the first to use this body for a RC model. Old user by the name Jubean made a crawler out of his. Was pretty badass.

This one of yours is shaping up to be pretty wicked also.

Last edited:

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just so you know that your not the first to use this body for a RC model. Old user by the name Jubean made a crawler out of his. Was pretty badass.
I've known about these bodies for years. I know of 3 or 4 (one being local) that have been made into crawlers that are great looking rigs. Haven't seen a prerunner yet though :icon_thumby:

admiket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im watching this one.

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
I personally would have left the fake motor under the hood so you could hide the electric motor underneith it. I was looking at building a 1/10th truggie, but this is sweet. I hope to see this as a complete project someday. Even though this is only 1/6th scale, it still qualifies as a ranger... besides, Its all to scale to look like the real thing

BTW What program are you using to map out you TIB front suspension?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals