• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Steering vs Manual Steering

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Is it worth the horsepower gain to go to manual steering, the manual box is half the weight of the power steering box and really clears up some room in a very cramped area, but how much HP would I free up and how much of a bear would this be to drive in town?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can't even begin to guess about the HP gain but people have gotten so use to having power steering. It's not that hard without PS really. Lots of the older "F" seroes trucks came with out it but had the steering wheel the size of a bus.
Dave

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
When I was driving my little Sidekick with manual steering it was fine once you got rolling. At slow speeds it took a little effort but anything above parking lot speeds was a breeze. The removal of weight and drag on your engine makes manual swaps make a lot of sense.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
My first ranger was a 1987 with a 2.0 L and manual steering, it wasn't bad at all, then I swapped in a 2.8 out of a 1984 ranger, I kept the manual steering. Sometime during the swap I installed a Grant steering wheel which was smaller than the original ford steering wheel, I still didn't have any real problems even in town, but my girlfriend refused to drive the truck if she had to go to town, kinda like that bonus, saved me quite a few dents and clutches I am sure, hehehe. Think I will go manual, can always add the power steering later if I feel the need.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
HmmmmmmmI installed a Grant s/wheel too......I replaced all the seals in the p/s box......./shimmed all the slack out of the output shaft.....but the adjusting screw is down to its last turn....I could use the extra room in the little '36 engine bay since everythings v-e-r-y close...maybe i better check into a manual box....

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am also debating this swap for my V-8 swapped 98.... I replaced EVERYTHING suspension wise EXCEPT the inner and outer tie-rod ends, but I already have had the truck aligned after replacing the upper control arms and all ball joints/endlinks :( (hate paying for things twice)

The manual racks from AZ are only like $130 and come with inner tie rods already and all new bushings etc........... Do you need to change any linkage for the steering for the swap, anyone know?

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
I am also debating this swap for my V-8 swapped 98.... I replaced EVERYTHING suspension wise EXCEPT the inner and outer tie-rod ends, but I already have had the truck aligned after replacing the upper control arms and all ball joints/endlinks :( (hate paying for things twice)

The manual racks from AZ are only like $130 and come with inner tie rods already and all new bushings etc........... Do you need to change any linkage for the steering for the swap, anyone know?
I wish I could use rack and pinion, mine is a 1988 and has the twin I beam suspension, without changing to control arms the rack and pinion wouldn't work for me. For me with a steering box no linkage changes were necessary so far, but cannot comment on a rack and pinion setup.

Does anyone know of an available rebuild kit for a standard steering box, mine has like 250K on it, still not too bad but I would like to rebuild it if possible.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If I were using the truck for off roading, I would not use manual steering..

It's tough enough in parking lot. I can't imagine trying to turn the wheel with rocks in the way...

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
maybe you should just rip off the belt for the power steering for less drag on your motor lol, my 79 has power steering and apparently it was a pretty rare option back then

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
If I were using the truck for off roading, I would not use manual steering..

It's tough enough in parking lot. I can't imagine trying to turn the wheel with rocks in the way...
Yeah I agree, mine is straight line accelerator only, lowered 3/4 and narrowed ford 9", nothing to steer around except the slow Chevy and Dodges at the track. Weight reduction and horsepower are main considerations.

Last edited:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
look into the electric assist steering motors for 05+ gm cars, it has spline input and a u-joint output, and literally 2 wires in. to simplify: it has a control module on it so it works just like a p/s pump and goes in line with your steering column, for another project i got one from a j/y for a 2005 saturn ion for $90. and you can wire it so that you have power steering even when the engine is off.....we used it in a buggy but i bet with a little imagination you could make it work on a ranger

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Manual steering is not that bad with a v8. My father-in-laws 88 ranger with 306 is fairly easy at the local track have'nt had it in a parking lot yet sence it is a truck that is mint for the track.

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input guys, I have decided to go with the manual box and put the power steering gear on the shelf in case I decide I want to use it later, also I found a rebuild kit for the manual steering box at rockauto.com for under $60.00 before shipping, man they have everything there.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
My truck was originally manual steering. I just finished the power steering swap. The power loss is not noticeable with the P/S. There is however, a nice ford power steering pump whine.

Now that I've driven both, I can offer a comparison:

Manual Steering:
Offers LOTS of feedback (meaning the steering wheel jerks with every imperfection in the road). Forget about talking on the phone and parking at the same time. Manuevering around a parking lot at low speed is a two-handed ordeal and is a workout for your arms.

Power Steering:
Much less feedback - the roads feel smoother now. One-handed parking is now a breeze.

Also, the P/S gear box didn't seem much heavier or larger than the manual box. Make sure you get the pitman with the gear box though because they are different between manual and P/S and not interchangeable (I learned this the hard way)

jfl1960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1993 5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input Sevensceondsuv, I had both gearboxes on the bench at the same time, the PS gearbox, pump and pulley system was easily a good 15 to 20 LBS heavier than the manual box alone, wish I have weighed both, will do the PS unit next time I am in garage and post an accurate number, that is forward weight, meaning in front of the front axle line, rule of thumb is every 50 LBS reduction can result in 1/100th sec on the 1/4 mile (that's what I have been told and read in many posts, if I am wrong please let me know), so I think the weight reduction is a good trade off for some arm workout in the parking lot, and besides where I live driving and chatting on cell will get you a $350.00 donation to the local policeman's association the, lol.

Forgot to mention I do like the feel of a good manual steering setup, most PS units make me feel disconnected with the road and make driving boring, IMO. Wonder if a manual would be easier in a short bed or long bed, mine is a long bed truck, standard cab.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals