• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No codes

Johnny Creeps

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I am, therefore, you are
My truck, 94 4.0L Ranger, runs like perfection, then when I put it in park, it dies. When I restart it, the check engine light comes on (but I can't get it to flash codes for me) and it chugs and is dumping gas into the system. To me, it was obviously the O2 sensors... changed both of those and it's still doing the same thing. Any ideas?

Creeps:icon_surprised:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for liquid fuel. It has a rubber diaphragm in it that can rupture and allow liquid fuel into the vacuum system.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

O2 sensors wouldn't cause that, they are not used at idle or for starting.
But if engine has over 150k miles then they needed to be changed.

On the fuel rail, passenger side front, on lower intake will be the FPR(Fuel Pressure Regulator), by the alternator.
It will have a Fuel line connected, the return fuel line, and it will have a vacuum line connected.
You need to check this vacuum line for fuel or fuel smell, it runs from FPR to rear of engine then around the back of upper intake to the Vacuum manifold on drivers side upper intake, where brake booster is connected.
If FPR diaphragm is leaking then raw fuel will be sucked into the intake via this vacuum line when vacuum is high, like at low RPMs/idle.
If there is fuel in the vacuum line then replace FPR.

Another possibility is the IAC(idle air control) Valve.
This wouldn't cause a gas smell though, but can cause engine to stall and be hard to restart.
It is on the upper front of the intake looks like a tube mounted sideways and has a two wire connector, this can be cleaned.
How-to with pictures here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-iac-valve-cleaning-thread-w-pics.84220/

Has your MPG dropped recently?

Last edited:

Johnny Creeps

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I am, therefore, you are
I'm okay with wasting the money on the O2's as I'd have needed to eventually anyway... you're the third to mention the FPR, so I will check that tomorrow. As for mileage, yeah, it was running fine, used about an 8th of a tank to go 90 miles... the return trip used 3/4 of a tank, so it was definitely dumping the fuel. The tailpipe, which is new and still shiny stainless, is all black and when the engine is chugging, it puffs thick black smoke and smells like straight gas.

Welcome to TRS :)

O2 sensors wouldn't cause that, they are not used at idle or for starting.
But if engine has over 150k miles then they needed to be changed.

On the fuel rail, passenger side front, on lower intake will be the FPR(Fuel Pressure Regulator), by the alternator.
It will have a Fuel line connected, the return fuel line, and it will have a vacuum line connected.
You need to check this vacuum line for fuel or fuel smell, it runs from FPR to rear of engine then around the back of upper intake to the Vacuum manifold on drivers side upper intake, where brake booster is connected.
If FPR diaphragm is leaking then raw fuel will be sucked into the intake via this vacuum line when vacuum is high, like at low RPMs/idle.
If there is fuel in the vacuum line then replace FPR.

Another possibility is the IAC(idle air control) Valve.
This wouldn't cause a gas smell though, but can cause engine to stall and be hard to restart.
It is on the upper front of the intake looks like a tube mounted sideways and has a two wire connector, this can be cleaned.
How-to with pictures here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-iac-valve-cleaning-thread-w-pics.84220/

Has your MPG dropped recently?

Johnny Creeps

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I am, therefore, you are
Thank you... I will get on that tomorrow and see what happens!

Check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for liquid fuel. It has a rubber diaphragm in it that can rupture and allow liquid fuel into the vacuum system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals