• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent electrical issue, Please read CAREFULLY.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
God is great, beer is good, and rangers are awesome!
The crank sensor controls spark I thing, correct me if I'm wrong, but when the plastic sensor heats up, it expands and loses signal from the magnet multiple times per minute, and that's when the hard jerk occurs. Once in a while it will shake the magnet thingy back in place so to say and will do fine for a month or more until it decides to be a dummy again. I think this sensor also controls the reading of the rpm guage, which means that when it loses signal, the guage will go all the way down to almost 0, even when the engine is actually still going alot faster even when it's not getting power, for example, if your sensor was good and you turned off the engine while going down the highway, the engine has no spark or fuel, yet the sensor will still read how fast the crankshaft is going so your guage will still be at, say 5000 rims if your racing a mustang or something of that nature but I don't think turning off your engine while racing would receive a winning outcome :D. Hope info helps :D

Last edited:

billy14870

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Update

I replaced the PCM relay in the relay box under the hood a few months back. I also replaced the crank shaft position sensor a few months ago. So both of these are ruled out....

A friend of mine said that he had a similar problem that involved his trailer harness lol any possibility there?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals