• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Disappearing coolant

91Rangerxlt21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Truck info:
91 Ranger XLT 4x4
5 speed
2.9L v6

originally I had this issue and found it was leaking into my oil so I replaced the head gaskets and had the heads checked out they are okay and not cracked before reinstall. All new hardware ie gaskets headbolts oil(change 2x to flush the engine) new coolant the works. Everything seemed fine until today now I have the coolant disappearing again but it's not going in the oil it's not spilling out of any hoses checked the valve in the radiator and that is okay and not leaking there is no visible leaks that I can see. Though the radiator never goes completely empty it will go down to a 1/4 full and that truck has an overheated and the temperature gauge never goes above half and there's no fluctuation of up and down in the gauge indicating it's it's overheating. Someone mentioned that possibly the water pump is leaking it but I don't see any visible leaks from that area. I've even left cardboard underneath the truck to see if it would drip any on there that's not doing that either. Also there is no white smoke coming out of my exhaust. Going to get a pressure tester tomorrow to test the radiator pressure. The coolant system was flushed but I don't know if it was flush too well enough because the coolant does look kind of nasty now but again my oil is clean an clear. I went to an orv park today and have had to put about 3gal of water/coolant in it with in a 6-7hr period. Anytime thoughts ideas are Much appreciated an welcome.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And oil level is staying the same?

Best bet is to rent a cooling system pressure test kit
These have a solid radiator cap with a hand pump and pressure gauge on it
You put it on a Cold engine and pump up pressure to 20psi, engine normally runs at 14-16psi

Then watch for pressure drop, a leak, and since engine is not hot any leaking coolant will drip down to the ground, not evaporate on a hot surface
And you can safely feel around for the source of the leak

Check with auto parts stores, they often "loan" them, no charge, but with a deposit

EDIT:
OOPS, I see you are going to do that :)

91Rangerxlt21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Yes the oil level has stayed the same so far. Been keeping an eye on that. And okay thank you for the info on what to test the system to. Another question what if I cant find any leaks but lose pressure still?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not possible

Check passenger side floor board for leaking heater core, if nothing in engine bay shows up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals