• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ranger rack removal need help

FORD2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel...71 351 W
Transmission
Automatic
have a 98 ranger 4x4 3.0, the input shaft on the rack and pinion is leaking, im about to pull it out and install a new seak kit in it. ive looked around and noticed everyone says its almost impossible to get out, theyre saying to remove the torsion bars....WHY??? is it possible to snake it out with a little patience? whats your input?

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure why you would remove the torsion bars but I didn't. Assuming you know how to drain the PS fluid and all that i'll cut to the chase. When you remove the outer tie rods etc and unbolt it from the cross member, you have to turn the shaft all the way to one side and slide the rack that direction so the inner tie rod will clear. Sorry if it's not descriptive enough, it's been a year since i've done it.

FORD2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel...71 351 W
Transmission
Automatic
thats what i was thinking, but other people on forums are saying all this crazy stuff and im just sitting there thinking why???? im hoping i can get it out resealed and put back in it one day

FORD2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel...71 351 W
Transmission
Automatic
that was a terrible job, took forever, was a pain in the ass to get out, and to top it off i resealed it without putting in a c-clip only way to put it in at that time was to risk damaging the second seal to get to the main seal, and that bitch popped out 35 miles from my house...not good!

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How much was the price difference in a new rack and the seal kit? If I had to take out the rack just to put new seals in, I would have just threw a new rack in...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How much was the price difference in a new rack and the seal kit? If I had to take out the rack just to put new seals in, I would have just threw a new rack in...
^This^

I do not reseal racks. Period. For the wear and tear that they see and as bad as they are to take out, I just put a new one in.

FORD2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel...71 351 W
Transmission
Automatic
200$ compared to 40 $ it was a easy seal to do, just the one on the imput shaft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals