• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where can I get a standard rear brake drum puller?

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All I can find is the kind that hooks to the wheel studs like for the rear drum of a front wheel drive car or the old classic front drums.
What I need is the typical 2 or 3 jaw puller that hooks to the lip of a rear drum, the kind of drum that slides over the studs.
I've looked at Sears, Snap On, Ebay, Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply Co, JC Whitney, Google search...and I'm simply amazed that this tool is not easy to find.
I should have been tripping over it with only one search.

Does anyone know a place that still sells a typical drum puller?

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic
You dont need a puller. Ive never seen one, needed one, or used one in 30 years of automotive work. the drum should just pull off if it wont you need to use the adjuster to loosen the shoes or tap the edge of the drum rotate and tap rotate and tap until it works loose

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i use a big hammer and smack the flange. pops right off assuming the shoes aren't stuck

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You dont need a puller. Ive never seen one, needed one, or used one in 30 years of automotive work. the drum should just pull off if it wont you need to use the adjuster to loosen the shoes or tap the edge of the drum rotate and tap rotate and tap until it works loose
You're right, they should just pull off...but sometimes they don't.
It's not hanging up on the shoes, the adjuster is loosened and the drum/axle spins free. It's hanging up on the center where the hub on the axle flange goes through the drum.
I sprayed it with WD-40 and tapped, pulled, tapped and pulled, tapped some more.
I've been doing this for 25 years and never used a drum puller before either(although I have seen them). I'm telling you I need a puller for this one.
I know you don't actually use the puller to do all the work but I'd like to put some tension on it while I work on getting the drum off.

94twodoor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
Try your local auto parts stores. The ones here in Michigan have a tool rental program. Check at Orielys if ya got one.

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
or a big screw driver while you tap works for me

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks but that one pulls on the wheel studs, it's only good for drums that have the studs in it.
The wheel studs on most rear wheel drive applications are connected to the axle flange, not the drum.
You can pull on the studs all day and you're not pulling on ther drum.

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try your local auto parts stores. The ones here in Michigan have a tool rental program. Check at Orielys if ya got one.
I tried at other stores and they kept trying to give me the wrong kind or didn't know what i was talking about at all.
I haven't tried Orielys though, I'll give them a try.

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic
I tried at other stores and they kept trying to give me the wrong kind or didn't know what i was talking about at all.
I haven't tried Orielys though, I'll give them a try.
You will not find one other than the one I posted. your only chance would be a massive gear puller and that will cost you as much as a rear axle

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if the center bore of the drum is stuck on the rear axle hub, hunt down a lil propane torch and heat up the drum itself around the hub, the heat will expand the metal around the hub and wheel studs and u can use a hamer and pop the drum off, oh and btw mr 30 years experience should of known about this trick its been done many times befor

Last edited:

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
on tough ones i was always taught to us a prybar and gently (or roughly if you dont mind messed up threads on your studs) go around the edge of the drum and keep prying it off.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
are you sure its not getting caught on the shoes? does it have any movement at all?

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
This will work for you and it's cheap
8" Three-Jaw Puller

A must for removing gears, sprockets, bearings, pulleys, and much more.

Rugged heat-treated carbon steel
Highly polished chrome finish
Hex end size: 18mm

Screw diameter: 5/8"; Reach: 7-3/8"

ITEM 40970-3VGA

$13.99

john112deere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2009
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 / 4.0
Transmission
Manual
First time I pulled my '97 rear brakes apart (truck had 230k or so on it; I know they hadn't been apart in at least 30k before that) I had the same problem.

Took probably 20 minutes of heating with a propane torch, Liquid Wrench-ing, tapping around the circumference of the drum with a hammer, and prying gently (so as not to damage the backing plate), all as close to simultaneously as I could manage with only two hands.

I don't think a standard three-jaw puller would work- can't figure where it would be able to grab on the drum. With a welder, grinder, and some scrap steel you could certainly modify it to work...and I've certainly custom-fabbed pullers like that for other purposes, but I'd say heat, good penetrant (not WD-40), tapping, and patience are probably easier in this case.

Or you could take the axle out and knock it off from the other side. That's actually how I did it on the second side of the '97 that first time...but only because the reason I was working back there was a leaking seal, so it was all coming apart anyway. If it's about time to change the diff oil anyway it's worth considering, I guess.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals