• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where can I get a standard rear brake drum puller?

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Being an auto tech. myself I just wanna say :thefinger:
All is fair in love and war and this isn't love.
No sir, I've got no love for most mechanics I've run into back home so :thefinger: back at cha.

jwsewell

July 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So your fighting a war now?!?! Again, Its a BRAKE DRUM!! HAHAHAHA!!! Call in the troops, we are getting this drum off!!

Just let me know what YOU do for a living and what YOU will do for a customer for free!
And I am not talking about pointing a customer to a product while collecting an hourly wage.
Remember most auto techs. are paid for the work they do only on a flat rate basis, no houry wage at all!!!!!

I am willing to bet you are a do it yourself guy until you bust a knuckle or break a finger nail.

Now if you have NO LOVE for the mechanics in your area then why in hell would you take your truck to them for anything???!!!

Last edited:

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic
So your fighting a war now?!?! Again, Its a BRAKE DRUM!! HAHAHAHA!!! Call in the troops, we are getting this drum off!!

Just let me know what YOU do for a living and what YOU will do for a customer for free!
And I am not talking about pointing a customer to a product while collecting an hourly wage.
Remember most auto techs. are paid for the work they do only on a flat rate basis, no houry wage at all!!!!!

I am willing to bet you are a do it yourself guy until you bust a knuckle or break a finger nail.

Now if you have NO LOVE for the mechanics in your area then why in hell would you take your truck to them for anything???!!!
Most of us don't. I have met more ASE certified mechanics that have a hard time opening a hood or changing a plug, total dimwits...............but certified dimwits:icon_thumby:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i didn't realize you couldn't get the drum to move on the hub at all. honestly if i was in the shop where i work and could NOT get this thing off. i would pull the c-clips slide the whole axle out with the drum and press that mofo out. you might want to try a very big dead blow hammer to break it loose. just keep bashing the outer edges until it moves

i've had a bearing stuck inside a steering knuckle so bad that a 20 ton press broke the knuckle in half and the bearing never moved at all.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
if you're gonna replace the brakes anyways, just cut the drums in half and be done with it. And if it were me and i was having that hard a time just getting the drums off to inspect.... i would go buy the parts for a brake job.

maybe it's living in california that keeps things easy to take apart, but i've never had so much trouble getting things apart as some of the horror stories i've read on here.

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

It's not a war with the drum.
Go back and try some reading comprehension, I'll wait....
The war is against the noobs who lie and try to cheat me then are left speechless when I know my vehicle, know about what they are trying to lie to me about, then are told to their face they are full of sh*t.
You may not be that kind of mechanic and I hope not but my exerience tells me if you are honest you are the minority.
I've been a do it myself guy since I started driving, about 25 years ago.
Most years I see a mechanic exactly 1 time a year...when I get the vehicle inspected. That's when I deal with the BS and lies only because I have to.
Then I go back to maintaining my own vehicle better than the lazy and rushed stooges would. I've restored a few classic muscle cars without a "mechanic's" help. I worked OUTSIDE in junk yards from 13 to 18 years old for roughly 10 hours a day in all kinds of weather, busted more knuckles and saw more grease and dirt than you will ever know.
What was that about fingernails????
I thought so.:thefinger:

Last edited:

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
jwsewell, it's nothing personal against you.
I'm sure you have your horror stories about customers as well.
Just let me give an example of what I'm talking about...
I always do a full inspection on my vehicles myself before taking them in for state inspection. I took my car in for one inspection in particular (I have other stories too) and I get a message on my voice mail that I need brakes and rotors or the car will not pass. My pads and rotors were less than a month old because I just checked and changed them knowing inspection was due. So I calmly go there in person and ask him to explain. He then goes into the same story about the brakes and brings me a worn out brake pad that's down to the backing plate. Not only were my brakes new but if by some bizarre defect that happened(pad fell off the backing plate or something) I would have noticed some kind of grinding. So I ask him to show me the rotor on the car thinking if he's not lying I'll clearly be able to see.
He flatly refused to let me look at it.
I then told him that if I forfeit the inspection I want it in writing why it failed then I will have it towed(so they can't say I messed with it) to another inspection shop. If the story at the other shop does not match what the written form says I will be back with the authorities.
The dude and his manager were speechless then asked me to wait while they wrote up the paperwork. A little while later they came back claiming there was a mix up with a new tech and they were very sorry, the car passed.
If it was REALLY a mix up with a new guy I'd be annoyed but I'd get over it.
I don't know about other parts of the country but in the northeast part of the country this crap is common. They know that inspections up there are expensive and non refundable pass or fail so you don't want to lose that money by not letting them complete the work. They then feed you lies and hold your vehicle for ransome.

Now, here in Texas I haven't run into that at all so maybe I can learn to like mechanics.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
jwsewell, it's nothing personal against you.
I'm sure you have your horror stories about customers as well.
Just let me give an example of what I'm talking about...
I always do a full inspection on my vehicles myself before taking them in for state inspection. I took my car in for one inspection in particular (I have other stories too) and I get a message on my voice mail that I need brakes and rotors or the car will not pass. My pads and rotors were less than a month old because I just checked and changed them knowing inspection was due. So I calmly go there in person and ask him to explain. He then goes into the same story about the brakes and brings me a worn out brake pad that's down to the backing plate. Not only were my brakes new but if by some bizarre defect that happened(pad fell off the backing plate or something) I would have noticed some kind of grinding. So I ask him to show me the rotor on the car thinking if he's not lying I'll clearly be able to see.
He flatly refused to let me look at it.
I then told him that if I forfeit the inspection I want it in writing why it failed then I will have it towed(so they can't say I messed with it) to another inspection shop. If the story at the other shop does not match what the written form says I will be back with the authorities.
The dude and his manager were speechless then asked me to wait while they wrote up the paperwork. A little while later they came back claiming there was a mix up with a new tech and they were very sorry, the car passed.
If it was REALLY a mix up with a new guy I'd be annoyed but I'd get over it.
I don't know about other parts of the country but in the northeast part of the country this crap is common. They know that inspections up there are expensive and non refundable pass or fail so you don't want to lose that money by not letting them complete the work. They then feed you lies and hold your vehicle for ransome.

Now, here in Texas I haven't run into that at all so maybe I can learn to like mechanics.
not all mechanics/shops are like this. the shop i work in is completely honest and will cut costs just to help out the customer.

its the ones like that.. that ruin business for the honest ones like me and my co-workers. we work hard to maintain our reputation of trust and always sending the car out fixed right the first time, even if it takes giving them a few freebies. the biggest freebie i've seen was where some trashy guy came in for a full inspection (done by me) and complaining about brake problems and front end vibration... he was right there with me when i showed him the brake pads metal to metal and one of the calipers was completely seized. i wrote everything that was wrong with that POS truck and he declined all of the work except brake pads, even after we told him they would fail again if he did not get calipers. next day they called the shop saying the brakes failed completely while going down a hill. my boss drove the tow truck 1hr to go pick it up and we found that the same caliper was seized and the new pads on that side were completely destroyed. we put $800 worth of parts/labor on that truck for FREE, just for the sake of sending it away done right and safe. they still yelled at us for "****ing up" the brake job the first time.

maybe you should find a good shop to do your inspections.

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not all mechanics/shops are like this. the shop i work in is completely honest and will cut costs just to help out the customer.

its the ones like that.. that ruin business for the honest ones like me and my co-workers. we work hard to maintain our reputation of trust and always sending the car out fixed right the first time, even if it takes giving them a few freebies. the biggest freebie i've seen was where some trashy guy came in for a full inspection (done by me) and complaining about brake problems and front end vibration... he was right there with me when i showed him the brake pads metal to metal and one of the calipers was completely seized. i wrote everything that was wrong with that POS truck and he declined all of the work except brake pads, even after we told him they would fail again if he did not get calipers. next day they called the shop saying the brakes failed completely while going down a hill. my boss drove the tow truck 1hr to go pick it up and we found that the same caliper was seized and the new pads on that side were completely destroyed. we put $800 worth of parts/labor on that truck for FREE, just for the sake of sending it away done right and safe. they still yelled at us for "****ing up" the brake job the first time.

maybe you should find a good shop to do your inspections.
Sorry to hear about that.
You have to watch for shady people everywhere you go.

Well, since I moved from the northeast I haven't had any problems at inspection time so I'll try to stay open minded and turn a new page.
I still don't plan on going to mechanics any more often than I do now, which is next to never.

Last edited:

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Today was nice so I got the drums off with a lot of banging.
A puller would have been nice but at least I won't have to go through that again.
A light coating of anti-sieze on the hub should prevent this from happening again, just like on past vehicles.
The brakes are cleaned out and adjusted but while I was under there I noticed a leaking pinion seal.
So, onto the next job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals