• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

vavoline nex-gen recycled oil?

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I saw it being advertised at the parts store today... I wouldn't buy it!

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The USPS has been using recycled oil for years. Supposedly the oil doesn't really wear out, it just gets dirty and the additives quit doing their job. Fix those two problems, and old oil is as good as new, literally.

IMO, the pricing would be want determined if it were worth it. How was it priced compared to similar oil?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
v-6 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
the price was about the same, they gurantee it or someething, i dont see why it would be so bad

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I don't see any reason why properly recycled oil would be bad for your engine. Just as long as they filter all the nasty stuff out of it and add new additives to it, it should be as good as new motor oil.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I don't see any reason why properly recycled oil would be bad for your engine. Just as long as they filter all the nasty stuff out of it and add new additives to it, it should be as good as new motor oil.
:iamwithstupid:

Oil doesnt break down, it gets contaminated. Just ask the guys running OTR trucks with bypass filters that can go almost 500K miles without changing the oil. Granted they change the filter, top off the oil, and send a sample out for analysis on a regular basis.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
:iamwithstupid:

Oil doesnt break down, it gets contaminated. Just ask the guys running OTR trucks with bypass filters that can go almost 500K miles without changing the oil. Granted they change the filter, top off the oil, and send a sample out for analysis on a regular basis.
That's interesting. That's a lot of miles to go on oil. :icon_surprised:

Btw, what's an OTR truck?

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
That's interesting. That's a lot of miles to go on oil. :icon_surprised:

Btw, what's an OTR truck?
Over The Road = tractor trailer, big rig, semi, etc (what ever name you want to use).

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
oil never breaks down as someone said. it gets contaminated and the additives wear out.

recycling the oil just costs less by using less additives to replenish the mixture. ALSO the next gen meets the highest API standard.

next oil change im going to use it cause its cheaper than anything else and it will work fine.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have it in my Explorer right now. It's good stuff. A lot of people don't like it because I guess they picture Valvoline taking nasty used oil and pouring it right back in the new bottles or something. This of course, is NOT the case. The old oil goes through all the same refining steps as regular conventional oil.

Conventional oil is made from crude oil. Remember the BP oil spill? Remember those balls of tar washed up on the beach? Would you put that crap in your engine? Of course not, but after it's refined into nice clean motor oil, you would! My point is, whether it's regular conventional oil or recycled oil, they take nasty, dirty, gross oil and refine it into good clean motor oil. NextGen meets all current API and ILSAC specs and is good stuff. Valvoline wouldn't risk their reputation putting out a crappy horrible product. Use it with confidence. :icon_thumby:

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I put the nextgen oil in my brothers Camary when I changed the oil couple months ago and seems to be just fine with it.

jhammel85

I would consider it since I see nothing wrong with it. I agree with everyones comments on this. Why would they put out something that would ruin an engine? Oil is what they do...

However, my next oil change will see Valvoline Max Life 10W40. Same as always..Why change whats not broken?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have it in my Explorer right now. It's good stuff. A lot of people don't like it because I guess they picture Valvoline taking nasty used oil and pouring it right back in the new bottles or something. This of course, is NOT the case. The old oil goes through all the same refining steps as regular conventional oil.

Conventional oil is made from crude oil. Remember the BP oil spill? Remember those balls of tar washed up on the beach? Would you put that crap in your engine? Of course not, but after it's refined into nice clean motor oil, you would! My point is, whether it's regular conventional oil or recycled oil, they take nasty, dirty, gross oil and refine it into good clean motor oil. NextGen meets all current API and ILSAC specs and is good stuff. Valvoline wouldn't risk their reputation putting out a crappy horrible product. Use it with confidence. :icon_thumby:
^This^

Keep in mind, if you change your oil when you should the stuff that comes out of the engine is much much cleaner than what it started out as when it came out of the ground.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
10w40? Is that a 2.9 thing? I know mines basically, what, a bored out 2.9?

Stuff doesn't sound bad and ya, why would they put something out that would destroy engines then half their customers switch brands. I know some people like to find one they like, and stick to it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals