• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum Hose and Electrical connector question

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
I have a hose that I can't find out where it connects, I "capped" it with some red electrical tape since that was all I had. I'm not noticing any driving issues, it didn't even run rough before I capped it, so this confuses me greatly:icon_confused:

Here's the disconnected end of the hose, it's near the vacuum reservoir but I already have a hose running there as you can see in the picture.

This next one is the other end of the hose, I'm not exactly sure which one it is but I'm pretty sure it's the one on the far right covered in RTV(I made a mess).

I also have an electrical connector near the fuse box that is disconnected and doesn't appear to have any place to connect it. I have no idea where it goes to. It's the one disconnected in the center of this picture.

Here's a close up of the connector.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm not sure about that vac line. May not be enough of a leak to cause a problem on a 94.

The electrical connector is the diagnostic port. It isn't supposed to be connected to anything normally. That is where you would plug in a scan tool.

It originally came with a cover that denoted it's purpose, but many of those have long since been lost.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just took a look at my 91 4.0l. One hard plastic line goes to the fuel pressure regulator, the other I labled "air" and suspect it would go to the air filter box if I still had one.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That vacuum hose should connect to the air box. What engine do you have?. As for the connector it is the OBD1 as asdm08 said. Check the side of the power distribution box, the cover might still be attached to it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
He has a 4.0. It's a 94 with a coil pack near the rear of the engine and an oil filler cap off to the side. The 3.0 would be a dis engine that year and the 2.3 would have the oil filler near the center of the engine.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The electrical connector is the diagnostic port. It isn't supposed to be connected to anything normally. That is where you would plug in a scan tool.

It originally came with a cover that denoted it's purpose, but many of those have long since been lost.
Thanks! It joined up with a massive conglomerate of wires that was impossible to follow, I figured someone one here would know what it was. I haven't hooked up a scanner to it since I haven't thrown a code yet, which is surprising considering the condition of this engine.

I just took a look at my 91 4.0l. One hard plastic line goes to the fuel pressure regulator, the other I labled "air" and suspect it would go to the air filter box if I still had one.
That was it, thank you! It wasn't connected when I removed the intake manifold before so I didn't know where it plugged in.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
He has a 4.0. It's a 94 with a coil pack near the rear of the engine and an oil filler cap off to the side. The 3.0 would be a dis engine that year and the 2.3 would have the oil filler near the center of the engine.
Sorry I forgot to mention the engine, I keep forgetting every time I post. It is a 94 4.0 OHV.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Is it possibly for a cruise control actuator been removed? Is it a direct vacuum leak when the engine is running? If not being used jus disconnect it at the vacuum tree and put a cap on the nipple.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sorry I forgot to mention the engine, I keep forgetting every time I post. It is a 94 4.0 OHV.
You can add the engine size to your profile and then we don't have to go all Sherlock Holmes on your pictures.

EDIT: Huh, it would seem that information isn't displaying. I have the engine size in mine and it isn't showing up.

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can add the engine size to your profile and then we don't have to go all Sherlock Holmes on your pictures.

EDIT: Huh, it would seem that information isn't displaying. I have the engine size in mine and it isn't showing up.
you can also put it in your signature like i did many many years ago. just keep in mind that tapatalk users dont see signatures.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
you can also put it in your signature like i did many many years ago. just keep in mind that tapatalk users dont see signatures.
I put it under the model of my truck, that seems to show up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals