• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

truck uneven

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 ford ranger xlt, 3.0 flex fuel, extended 4 door cab, 5 speed. I started hearing a squeek in the rear end today so I checked it out.... One of my sway bar bolts on the left rear was a little loose so I tightened it up but was not the problem, I investigated further with pushing the truck up and down trying to find the squeek, I found that the squeek seemed to be coming from my driverside leafspring somewhere, I sprayed it down and took it for a drive to a gas station and it seemed to quite down some, but when I came out of the store I noticed my driver side rear was sitting lower then my passenger side rear, I have no idea whats causing it so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas? I just replaced both sides hangers and lift shackles, rubbers in the leafsping and from the shackle to the hanger and double checked them and they still look brand new, both sets of springs look like the exact same thing, no cracks in the springs or anything so I'm stumped lol. Please help me guys!! :icon_confused:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
welcome to owning a ranger! common problem. your springs are worn. either buy new ones, and another leaf on one side (if thats your thing), or swap sides for the springs and wait for the other one to sag.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Lets see....the gas tank is on the left side for starters!!!! There are a few threads on this site about the trucks leaning on the driver's side. Read them and see what else there is that causes the 'lean'!!!!!!! 4x4 parts on the left side....my ranger does the same thing as well. I hate when that happens!!

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering if it could have something to do with the shocks also?

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
I was also thinking of the bushings and or one of the clamps but they seem to be in order

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I put brand new shocks on my 99 Ranger along with the new lift coils and the new suspension lift that I did all at once many years ago... and the slight lean is still there. A friend of mine told me that since I am the one and only in the truck most of the times I should add some weight (about 150) to the floorboard area of the passenger side and try to leave it there for about 3-4 weeks and see if that helps out. I did this for 4 weeks and the lean went away...but then by the third gas fill up.... the lean came back. So should I do it again...nah!!! Just live with it!!!!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I was wondering if it could have something to do with the shocks also?
This here is a VERY common misconception that still has me completely baffled.

Car parts are usually named for what they do (steering wheel, brakes, seat, etc). A "shock absorber" isn't a part that holds something up, it "absorbs shocks". I don't get why people think that they cause sag, lean, give lift, or affect anything other than handling and ride quality.

Rangers lean because all the weight is on the driver side. Battery, gas tank, 4x4 system, and the driver. Cars (hopefully) don't go many places without a driver. It just wears out the springs on that side faster.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Ford actually has a fix of this....

Rear Lean, Ranger

Measure the rear ride height by measuring the height of the right and left rear fender lip openings.

Compute the difference.

A side-to-side lean at the rear of the vehicle can be adjusted approximately 6mm (1/4 inch) by installing a shim between the rear spring (5560) and axle on the low side of the vehicle.
A "low at the rear" vehicle can be raised approximately 6mm (1/4 inch) by installation of one shim on each side.
Use the following procedure to install the shim(s) (E37A-5742-AA).

Raise the vehicle until the weight is off the rear springs but with the tires still touching the floor.
Loosen the spring U-bolts to allow the axle to separate from the spring approximately 13mm (1/2 inch).
Position the shim (E37A-5742-AA) between the spring and the spring seat with the tie bolt head through the hole in the shim.
On 4x4 vehicles, position the shim between the rear spring and axle spacer. Tape may be used to hold the shim in position.
Make sure the spring leaves are properly aligned and the spring U-bolts contact the edges of the spring assembly or axle seat.
Tighten the spring U-bolt sufficiently and make sure the spring bolt head extends through shim into axle seat hole.
Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 88-102 Nm (65-75 lb-ft).

But yea....they all pretty much do it.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Its the Ranger lean. Or gas tank lean. Whatever you wanna call it. I replaced my coil springs on my truck thinking the problem would go away. Nope. Still leans. Oh well. I guess I have to live with it.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
When did they release that TSB? I can't believe Ford has actually made something to deal with it. You have the number handy? If not I can look into it tomorrow:D

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
That is straight out of the older shop manuals...not a TSB

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
If that's not the weirdest thing, I got to run the P/N tomorrow and see if they are still available:D

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
I found out that believe it or not it was my shock on my right rear..... I kept jacking up and down on the right rear trying to hear where the squeak was coming from so my right rear shock stayed decompressed before it settled after a little while so it went away a couple hours later, that my friends is how shocks can screw with ride hight for a short while lol, I can't believe I was dumb enough not to think about that after I had it up and down so many times, the squeak is gone too finally, it was my leaf springs rubbing my hitch mounts, I put on lift schackles and the one bolt was touching the hitch on the side so I pulled the hitch down and adjusted it to the inside of my brackets instead of the outside of them which game me like a quarter inch but it was enough to safely clear the bolt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals