• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tractors

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I doubt that tractor has a hydraulic filter, if anything (since its based off a N series ford) it might have a screen attached to the drain plug, I know a N series engine drain plug is that way but I don’t recall about the hydraulic/transmission “main plug” Its possible you have multiple drain plugs for the back end, N-series ford has at least 2, possibly 3. Im only bringing “N-series ford” into this because harry ferguson based his tractor off of the N-series. Yes the engine is different (flathead vs ohv) but most of the rest of it is very similar to those fords from ‘39-‘51.
In case you dont know what Im referring to, heres dads ‘46 2N, bought new by his parents the year he was born. First picture was about 1977, 2nd picture was just a couple of years ago after I gave it a refresh and paint.View attachment 84554View attachment 84555
So according to my research, Harry Ferguson went to Henry Ford with his tractor idea that he started in Europe, which became the TE-20 in European markets and the partnership with Ford produced the N-series, which are very similar to the Ferguson tractors and used his 3 point hitch design. Apparently Ford got irritated that Ferguson was producing his own tractors and the partnership dissolved. Ferguson built the TO-20 series (60k total) which mine is and then produced the TO-30 before selling to Massy Harris which then became Massy Ferguson. Also, the expedition mounted by the British to the South Pole used Ferguson TE-20 tractors.

Mine has a few drain plugs and the oil filter is under a plate in the bottom of the oil pan. There’s some oil in the pan and some in the steering because I have minor leaks, lol. There’s also some oil in the rest of it because there’s a bit on the two dipsticks and I can see some through the opening in the top of the transmission. What I could see of the gears looked good even though the shifter feels a little sloppy. Clutch needs adjusted or something too

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
N series Fords preferred 80/90 for the hydraulics, not sure on ferggies.

I run 10-30 in all my tractor engines except my B jd.

She's a lil tired so she gets 15-40.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
So according to my research, Harry Ferguson went to Henry Ford with his tractor idea that he started in Europe, which became the TE-20 in European markets and the partnership with Ford produced the N-series, which are very similar to the Ferguson tractors and used his 3 point hitch design. Apparently Ford got irritated that Ferguson was producing his own tractors and the partnership dissolved. Ferguson built the TO-20 series (60k total) which mine is and then produced the TO-30 before selling to Massy Harris which then became Massy Ferguson. Also, the expedition mounted by the British to the South Pole used Ferguson TE-20 tractors.

Mine has a few drain plugs and the oil filter is under a plate in the bottom of the oil pan. There’s some oil in the pan and some in the steering because I have minor leaks, lol. There’s also some oil in the rest of it because there’s a bit on the two dipsticks and I can see some through the opening in the top of the transmission. What I could see of the gears looked good even though the shifter feels a little sloppy. Clutch needs adjusted or something too
Good luck getting it to stop leaking if you actually try to lol.

The older N fords (9N/2N) actually said "ferguison system" under the ford oval on the front of the hood. I believe that went away on the 8n after henry and harry parted ways.

Either way the chances of any spectacular mechanical failure on these things are pretty low. The drivetrain is more then robust enough for the output of the motor

Not to sound like a worried father but take it easy on it during chore time espicially if youre not familiar with tractors. The Fords/Masseys are probably one of the safer tractors of that era but they are known to be very nose light. It doesnt take much to get the front end airborne if you get stupid. Always cover the clutch when pulling on things that might not move and hitch as low as possible.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
N series Fords preferred 80/90 for the hydraulics, not sure on ferggies.

I run 10-30 in all my tractor engines except my B jd.

She's a lil tired so she gets 15-40.
Since they were virtually identical, I’m gonna say that sounds like a plan

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Good luck getting it to stop leaking if you actually try to lol.

The older N fords (9N/2N) actually said "ferguison system" under the ford oval on the front of the hood. I believe that went away on the 8n after henry and harry parted ways.

Either way the chances of any spectacular mechanical failure on these things are pretty low. The drivetrain is more then robust enough for the output of the motor

Not to sound like a worried father but take it easy on it during chore time espicially if youre not familiar with tractors. The Fords/Masseys are probably one of the safer tractors of that era but they are known to be very nose light. It doesnt take much to get the front end airborne if you get stupid. Always cover the clutch when pulling on things that might not move and hitch as low as possible.
Lol, I saw a thing recommending shellac for sealing the oil pan, so when I drop it we shall see, might try painting some gasket shellac on. I’m not too worried about minor leaks, at least right now. Maybe someday when I have more time to mess with things I might actually make an effort.

Correct on the Ferguson System badges. Supposedly the System part usually got ignored or fell off and a lot of people started calling them Ford Ferguson’s which isn’t exactly right.

I’m fairly familiar with lawn tractors, my big Craftsman has 5-6 gallons of RV antifreeze in AG tires and 55# wheel weights which gets it to where I can do dumb stuff with it. I try to avoid being too dumb with it though. This being a larger and more powerful tractor despite only being about the size of a larger CUT tractor of today, I can see being able to do more dumb stuff and had every intention of taking it easy until I figure out how it handles. I learned my lesson many years ago on a skid steer that the best way to run a machine hard is to first gently explore what it is and isn’t capable of. I put a skid steer into a bad bounce because I “thought” I knew enough and went over a concrete curb and into a dip in the dirt and back out at full throttle with the bucket up a bit. If you’ve never experienced the bounce in a skid steer loader, you haven’t lived. Teeth jarring, bone rattling, standing alternately on the back tires and front tires with an alternating view of ground and sky… I did some arguably crazy things with that machine after that and became a better operator at it than dad, but I never put it in a bounce again. I can’t imagine picking the front wheels up on a tractor and having them slam back down would be any less fun and there’s no cab around you for protection…

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Lol, I saw a thing recommending shellac for sealing the oil pan, so when I drop it we shall see, might try painting some gasket shellac on. I’m not too worried about minor leaks, at least right now. Maybe someday when I have more time to mess with things I might actually make an effort.

Correct on the Ferguson System badges. Supposedly the System part usually got ignored or fell off and a lot of people started calling them Ford Ferguson’s which isn’t exactly right.

I’m fairly familiar with lawn tractors, my big Craftsman has 5-6 gallons of RV antifreeze in AG tires and 55# wheel weights which gets it to where I can do dumb stuff with it. I try to avoid being too dumb with it though. This being a larger and more powerful tractor despite only being about the size of a larger CUT tractor of today, I can see being able to do more dumb stuff and had every intention of taking it easy until I figure out how it handles. I learned my lesson many years ago on a skid steer that the best way to run a machine hard is to first gently explore what it is and isn’t capable of. I put a skid steer into a bad bounce because I “thought” I knew enough and went over a concrete curb and into a dip in the dirt and back out at full throttle with the bucket up a bit. If you’ve never experienced the bounce in a skid steer loader, you haven’t lived. Teeth jarring, bone rattling, standing alternately on the back tires and front tires with an alternating view of ground and sky… I did some arguably crazy things with that machine after that and became a better operator at it than dad, but I never put it in a bounce again. I can’t imagine picking the front wheels up on a tractor and having them slam back down would be any less fun and there’s no cab around you for protection…
A lawn tractor even weighted down is nothing like a real tractor. If a 600lb garden tractor flips backwards and lands on you....yeah its gonna hurt but youll pry live. A 2500lb farm tractor not so much.

I had the nose up a time or two on the 8N my dad had. The landing sucks but youre just thankful it landed on the tires and not the steering wheel. Thats partially why i like my cub...yeah its not the most powerful thing but itll stall or spin (even with loaded tires and rim weights) before it even thinks about lifting the front, atleast on flat ground.

as113f3.gif

The fords and masseys were much safer though then say, a Farmall C/H/M or similar, atleast with a lower center of gravity and wide stance an unexpected woodchuck hole wont put you on your side....just might break your thumb from the steering wheel rotating.

And yes i have rode a bucking skid steer...i literally almost shit myself and ended up in a pond on the edge about 3 feet in water.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Non-ethanol isn’t overly hard to get here, usually costs same as premium, but I know a lot of older engines were designed to run leaded gas or you destroy valves and stuff, so I was wondering how important each would be. I don’t know how much gas I’ll burn through with it, but non ethanol is not a huge problem as long as I don’t find myself dumping 20 gallons a week through it or something. Not sure what the gas line is for sure, but I was debating making a new one
Unless you know that the valves have been swapped out for hardened ones, I would look for a place to get the fuel additive that does the same job as the lead in fuel used to. You might have to get that from a dedicated tractor place but search around. Auto parts stores might still have it due to older classic cars.

As far as oil, if the tractor calls for straight 30, you might want to stick with that. I know you can run 5W-30 synthetic with modern air cooled engines instead but with that old of an engine, synthetic might cause leaks that weren’t there before just from the varnish cleaning synthetics do.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Unless you know that the valves have been swapped out for hardened ones, I would look for a place to get the fuel additive that does the same job as the lead in fuel used to. You might have to get that from a dedicated tractor place but search around. Auto parts stores might still have it due to older classic cars.

As far as oil, if the tractor calls for straight 30, you might want to stick with that. I know you can run 5W-30 synthetic with modern air cooled engines instead but with that old of an engine, synthetic might cause leaks that weren’t there before just from the varnish cleaning synthetics do.
I would definantly stay away from synthetic.

Autozone, TSC, etc carry lead subsitute.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would definantly stay away from synthetic.

Autozone, TSC, etc carry lead subsitute.
I seem to remember petroleumjunkie412 talking about certain oils with zinc or some other metal to help with cam and tappet wear. I don’t remember which ones.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tractors generally don't run hot enough for lead additive to be required valves.

Cam is well past broken in to fuss over zinc.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Older cams did like the heavier zinc oil. But that tractor turns all of 2000RPM. Youll never wear it out.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Ill take that bet with the following stipulation...

Both trucks must be parked in the middle of a wide open corn field during the deep january freeze (-10 to -15 degrees with windchills double that) the night/day before competition and no extension cords will be present.

:sneaky:
That's like saying "I'll fight you, but first you have to let me tie you up and I get to use a knife".

However, since you didn't stipulate that I cannot use additives, your on. The next time we expect anything below -20°F here in Florida I'll let you know so you can make the trip.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So… I decided not to pay $30 locally for a sediment bowl and ordered one for $15 this morning. So once it gets here I’ll have to spend a few hours with the tractor to see how it runs

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
That's like saying "I'll fight you, but first you have to let me tie you up and I get to use a knife".

However, since you didn't stipulate that I cannot use additives, your on. The next time we expect anything below -20°F here in Florida I'll let you know so you can make the trip.
It’s his only chance of winning.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tractors generally don't run hot enough for lead additive to be required valves.

Cam is well past broken in to fuss over zinc.
Running the chisel plow behind our Cockshutt 1800, we had it running hot enough that the exhaust was glowing. It was just as the sun was setting that we shut down for the evening but manifold was definitely at dull shade of red. In morning, we pull the extensions off the chisel plow to make things easier on old the girl.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals