• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tractors

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, draining the trans/hydraulic/axle overnight because it was coming out slow. Drained the engine and there was only 3-4 quarts in there. Seems like kind of a strange setup, there’s like a cup in the oil pan over the hole and a mesh basket that fits inside and lifts the solid cup like 3/4” off the bottom of the pan. Filter fits inside of that. Someone had the mesh basket upside-down and smashed a bit, so I had to work it back close to the proper shape. Put all of that back together. Got the new PTO dust cover on.

Tried to change the steering wheel but that sucker is stuck it seems. The nut came off easy enough. Sprayed a bunch of penetrating lube on there and it makes it’s way through. Won’t pop off though, I whaled on it a bit with a 4# dead-blow with no noticeable movement. No good way to really pry on it without risk of damage. Not quite sure how to rig a puller to pull on the three spokes because that’s all there is to get a puller on. If it was running I could get it over to my torch but I’m not sure if I would risk scorching a seal or something.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
those steering wheels can be a real pain, usually what had worked for me is having one person pull up on the wheel with someone else smacking the center (nut started on so you dont mushroom the threads) When you do get it off, anti-sieze that shaft so the next time it’s easier.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I pulled a lot of seized see steering wheels off of Deere tractors. If you maneuver your feet correctly you can likely push up with your feet and putting pressure on the wheel. A ball pin hammer in reverse and sticking the flat face will likely loosen it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
those steering wheels can be a real pain, usually what had worked for me is having one person pull up on the wheel with someone else smacking the center (nut started on so you dont mushroom the threads) When you do get it off, anti-sieze that shaft so the next time it’s easier.
I didn’t expect it to be this difficult. Kinda don’t really have any help. I was going to put some grease on the new one.

I pulled a lot of seized see steering wheels off of Deere tractors. If you maneuver your feet correctly you can likely push up with your feet and putting pressure on the wheel. A ball pin hammer in reverse and sticking the flat face will likely loosen it.
I might have to see if I can try that somehow. Didn’t think of giving it a few raps with a ball peen until I was already back at the house. Old steering wheel isn’t broke, just the plastic or whatever is all cracked and sheds black powder on whatever touches it. Don’t really want to destroy it if I can help it, just want one in better condition on it. New one looks identical, just in better shape being brand new.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you drive it like you are supposed to eventually they quit doing the black powder thing. :icon_thumby:

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Air hammer if the other technique doesn't work I just try to be minimal as you are putting a lot of force on the gear box, of it is directly connected. If not hammer away!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Air hammer if the other technique doesn't work I just try to be minimal as you are putting a lot of force on the gear box, of it is directly connected. If not hammer away!
Pretty sure it is directly to the gearbox.

Heat is your friend.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you drive it like you are supposed to eventually they quit doing the black powder thing. :icon_thumby:
Lol, I thought about that, but a new reproduction wheel was $30 and had no cracked plastic and no black powder. For that price I have no problem finding a place to stash the original.

No good way to even get an air hammer to it unless I get it up to the house and not really sure I could find a good way to use it the way this is designed. There’s a thin metal cup under the wheel wider than the center of the wheel that I guess is designed to deflect rain and dirt away from the seal or whatever which is also why there’s no good way to put a puller on things. The shaft the wheel is on goes right down into the gearbox. No power steering on this beast but even sitting still it’s easier to turn the wheel than most of my trucks if the power steering is out.

Pretty sure it is directly to the gearbox.

Heat is your friend.
Yup, directly to the gearbox. Probably shouldn’t have been whaling away at it like I was, but I think it’s still ok. Thinking I might try a harmonic balancer puller and some J-hooks to grab the spokes to at least get some pressure on it and try tapping around with a ball peen. If that doesn’t work, then I guess I’ll have to get it closer to the torches.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, been meaning to ask you guys, as fas as I know the distributor is still points and condenser. It’s my understanding it uses Delco electrical. I’ve come across a thing that is supposed to eliminate points and condenser, retrofit kinda kit, made by Pertronix. Don’t know if there’s any other options, but I’d rather eliminate the points and condenser. I’ll put the old parts with the collection of replaced parts in case it’s needed, but I’m leaning that way unless someone can convince me it’s not worth converting…

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have points in all of mine.

0 intention to convert.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
FYI new toy for me over the weekend. Befco used auger traded in at work. Shaft was seized, gear box milky and the coupler on the PTO side was seized. Picked it up for $350 and, had old oil to soak the PTO shaft with after freeing it and had a gallon of gear oil. About 45 minutes of effort it was operational and I was off to plant some evergreens to block the new house put up behind mine from view. Just have to wait a few years for them to grow.

Digger 1.jpg

Digger 3.jpg

Digger 2.jpg

Digger 4.jpg

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Oh, been meaning to ask you guys, as fas as I know the distributor is still points and condenser. It’s my understanding it uses Delco electrical. I’ve come across a thing that is supposed to eliminate points and condenser, retrofit kinda kit, made by Pertronix. Don’t know if there’s any other options, but I’d rather eliminate the points and condenser. I’ll put the old parts with the collection of replaced parts in case it’s needed, but I’m leaning that way unless someone can convince me it’s not worth converting…
Ive replaced tons of points with Pertronix Ignitors on forklift engines. We’d get 5-7 years out of them with no issues. (They ran two 8 hr shifts, 5 days a week.) I can’t say anything bad about them.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
FYI new toy for me over the weekend. Befco used auger traded in at work. Shaft was seized, gear box milky and the coupler on the PTO side was seized. Picked it up for $350 and, had old oil to soak the PTO shaft with after freeing it and had a gallon of gear oil. About 45 minutes of effort it was operational and I was off to plant some evergreens to block the new house put up behind mine from view. Just have to wait a few years for them to grow.

How well do those things tend to work on uneven ground or a slope?

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Can't honestly answer that with my experience thus far. I live on flat sandy soil... I put 10-12 holes in the ground to plant some bushes then sank the bit halfway in the ground and disconnected it. I did some work with a hydraulic post driver a few weekends ago with a friend on a 15-20 degree slope hill and it was interesting. That being said mine only has fore/aft articulation of the bit so I am thinking you would have to line the tractor up with the angle you needed if that makes sense. Ideally I would have a second set of hands to guide the but to exact point then engage I was just making rough holes though. Hope that answers your question.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ive replaced tons of points with Pertronix Ignitors on forklift engines. We’d get 5-7 years out of them with no issues. (They ran two 8 hr shifts, 5 days a week.) I can’t say anything bad about them.
Sounds like that’s me then…

How well do those things tend to work on uneven ground or a slope?
Beats digging by hand by far, but I’m not really sure. We had a family friend run his here for some post holes for a shed and patio with roof, but it was pretty flat where we had him working. Bigger problem was hitting rocks here and some are big enough to park a car on.

Can't honestly answer that with my experience thus far. I live on flat sandy soil... I put 10-12 holes in the ground to plant some bushes then sank the bit halfway in the ground and disconnected it. I did some work with a hydraulic post driver a few weekends ago with a friend on a 15-20 degree slope hill and it was interesting. That being said mine only has fore/aft articulation of the bit so I am thinking you would have to line the tractor up with the angle you needed if that makes sense. Ideally I would have a second set of hands to guide the but to exact point then engage I was just making rough holes though. Hope that answers your question.
Ya’ll are reminding me to get looking for a post hole auger, part of the whole reason I wanted a real tractor…

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals