• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Body Spacers

Does Throttle Spacer's work on EFI engines?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Complete waste of money (gimik)

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Show I wanted to ask this question. Does a throttle body spacer on a modern engine really improve torque & horsepower? This is for a modern engine with SEFI (Sequational Electionic Fuel Injection) V6. No carbs or throttle body fuel injection.

Last edited:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
ok tb spacers have no bearing on when the injector fires so sefi is irrelevant. what it alledgedly makes a difference in is air-speed, and post-TB plenum volume.

but no, they're useless

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
but they look so _____________________ing impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!

:icon_bounceblue:

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
They only start to do good when your spedo hits 130mph. Complete waste of $$$$.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I voted "complete waste of money" because you said in your post
SEFI (Sequational Electionic Fuel Injection) V6. No carbs or throttle body fuel injection.
If you included carbs or TBI, I might've voted differently.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
all they do is give you a real cool whistle when your on the gas. carbed or tbi and you got something, otherwise... paperweight

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yep the whistle is the only reason.

but I do have one lol...

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have one and the pulling power is better then stock. I have seen it proved on HP TV several times and I have seen it proved on the Dyno runs at my speed shop. To a certain advantage these do work...but not give you loads of HP, just better throttle response and a bit more pulling power. I removed mine and drove it around and then put it back on and it does improve the performance some. I use the AEM cone filter and I used to use a K&N cone filter. The AEM filter works better. I have tested it several times and the results were proven.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
TB spacers are for carbs. End of story.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
TB spacers were great for carb and TBI because they allowed more space for the air and fuel to mix up and helped combustion a bit. With any sort of ported injection where the fuel is introduced at the intake valve and travels the same distance no matter the length of the runner, it doesn't help one bit.

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have one and the pulling power is better then stock. I have seen it proved on HP TV several times and I have seen it proved on the Dyno runs at my speed shop. To a certain advantage these do work...but not give you loads of HP, just better throttle response and a bit more pulling power. I removed mine and drove it around and then put it back on and it does improve the performance some. I use the AEM cone filter and I used to use a K&N cone filter. The AEM filter works better. I have tested it several times and the results were proven.
I think you and any one else who has one of these scrap metal spacers suffers from the placebo affect. Even the "best" claims from these things are about 5-10HP, something you'll hardly notice unless you only started with less that 100 to start with. Most popular engines people buy these spacers for have HP in the mid 200's to low 300's range where such a small increase will be negligible.

I watched my friend drop $180 on a spacer last year, I tried to convince him not too. But it was no good $275 later he had a spacer and 3 royal purple oil filters. It would have been better to burn the money or just hand it to me and help pay for my winch. OH WELL

While we're at it you lets add cold air intake kits to the pile as well. Only thing they are good for is parts for snorkel kits. :headbang:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya i think cai's are good for faster revving, easier to fully remove(and sucking up water). What about fake blowoff valves, yay for whistles! But I do miss the noise my altima made with fujita cai... I'd never buy a spacer just to hear a whistle. I dontthink I'll ever go above 80 in my truck. Bouncing at high speeds is scary...

Last edited:

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
TB spacers were great for carb and TBI because they allowed more space for the air and fuel to mix up and helped combustion a bit. With any sort of ported injection where the fuel is introduced at the intake valve and travels the same distance no matter the length of the runner, it doesn't help one bit.
AMEN!

these things are total bs. no effect on atomization or airflow whatsoever. all that spiral vortex crap that everyone's advertising now is a gimmick, too. if anything, these stupid things decrease throttle response due to an increased intake plenum volume after the tb.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sooo dumb question, what do these guys do for a carb'd engine?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I think you and any one else who has one of these scrap metal spacers suffers from the placebo affect. Even the "best" claims from these things are about 5-10HP, something you'll hardly notice unless you only started with less that 100 to start with. Most popular engines people buy these spacers for have HP in the mid 200's to low 300's range where such a small increase will be negligible.

I watched my friend drop $180 on a spacer last year, I tried to convince him not too. But it was no good $275 later he had a spacer and 3 royal purple oil filters. It would have been better to burn the money or just hand it to me and help pay for my winch. OH WELL

While we're at it you lets add cold air intake kits to the pile as well. Only thing they are good for is parts for snorkel kits. :headbang:

My trucks and cars have run better with the spacer, regardless of what you think. When you notice a bit more pulling power and better throttle responce that means the produt works. I have been racing cars and motorcycles for years and have built many high performance cars and bikes. I know what works and does not work...what have you done? Nothing but complain of my opinion of true facts? True facts don't lie. Performance gains have been proven with out a doubt. You are the expert, right?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals