• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about new handgun purchase.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
That isn't always good enough. I had a Taurus PT145 that felt good in the hand, was comfortable to shoot, and had a 10 round, double stack magazine in .45ACP. It was inaccurate as hell no matter what I fed it. After trying about a year or two, I traded it in on a Springfield Armory XDs. It doesn't feel as nice but at least I can hit the target well enough.
Good point! Some guns are very picky with ammo, maybe that was my 1911 problem...I'm not that terrible of a shot, only mildly sometimes lol.

I too am a fan of the XD's...they do feel a little square and clunky, but gobble up anything you feed it, and spit where you point it....Kinda like the the old glock.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Berettas are fine for me, I can shoot those same as my glock. I tried an XDe, they're pretty good actually, I liked it. Maybe look for a used one?
I have a couple Berettas, it takes me a little bit to get used to the trigger before I can shoot them accurately. One is a 92FS and the other is a M9-22. The grip is a little fat for me and is not comfortable to daily carry. Everyone is different, so your mileage may vary.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Good point! Some guns are very picky with ammo, maybe that was my 1911 problem...I'm not that terrible of a shot, only mildly sometimes lol.

I too am a fan of the XD's...they do feel a little square and clunky, but gobble up anything you feed it, and spit where you point it....Kinda like the the old glock.
I'm no competition shooter myself either but most of my shots end up where they will make a difference. I find I'm better with 9X19 than .45ACP but I really like my .45ACP pistols.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried a S&W autoloader, 5906 I believe...couldn't shoot it worth beans either.

Berettas are fine for me, I can shoot those same as my glock. I tried an XDe, they're pretty good actually, I liked it. Maybe look for a used one?

How about a sig? I can shoot those pretty good too, they feel nice in the hand.

Ported barrel is also a more common option nowadays.

Still nothing beats a revolver in each hand. With crispy single action triggers.

Ruger Vaquero is my favorite. A Sexy Tank.

Pistols do look a little sketchy one handed, I'd save such tactics for the vested guerillas lol.
Vaquero is nice, kinda pricey but nice. All mine are made by Pietta lol

Never saw a new XDe on the shelf, kinda have doubts about coming across a used one.

I would like a Beretta 92 actually, not sure about one for CC but it would be fun to have a big 9mm to plink with.

I had a scare in Omaha a couple years ago and it got me on the hunt for a CC pistol, everybody has left me alone since so I guess I kinda lost the drive. The gun/ammo market has been weird ever since too.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Vaquero is nice, kinda pricey but nice. All mine are made by Pietta lol

Never saw a new XDe on the shelf, kinda have doubts about coming across a used one.

I would like a Beretta 92 actually, not sure about one for CC but it would be fun to have a big 9mm to plink with.

I had a scare in Omaha a couple years ago and it got me on the hunt for a CC pistol, everybody has left me alone since so I guess I kinda lost the drive. The gun/ammo market has been weird ever since too.
I scored one used cheap many years ago, its my prized piece. I baby it lol.

That's exactly what the 92 is lol a very fun plinker.

The market is definitely weird. Especially in L.A. Last time I tried shopping for a little ammo, I was allowed 2 boxes of .22 and had to fill out a record book and leave a thumb print.

The only town conservative enough to have gun stores (3) were forced to shut them down for 3 months in response the recent shootings on the news.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I have a couple Berettas, it takes me a little bit to get used to the trigger before I can shoot them accurately. One is a 92FS and the other is a M9-22. The grip is a little fat for me and is not comfortable to daily carry. Everyone is different, so your mileage may vary.
My buddy is a navy seal lifer and he says they're good guns, just need a few mods and fixes (kinda like rangers)...I forget what he said...it was the ejection spring and few other things. They can be bulletproofed. I been meaning to hit him up about it and make a note this time.

Yea the double stack does make em fat lol, but I like fatter grips. Definitely a little big for carry, good camp gun/plinker.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have an M&P .40 compact which I like, very tough, I put the biggest grip insert thing in and it fits real nice... Have a PMR30 as well, a fun odd shaped gun, don't shoot it much, sure .22 mag is more expensive than some stuff but a lot cheaper than others, I stocked up when it was like $11 for 50... I want a CMR30 to go with it but they're spendy... I have a .380 too, wish I had gotten a 9, 9 just isn't much bigger so no point in the .380...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I have an M&P .40 compact which I like, very tough, I put the biggest grip insert thing in and it fits real nice... Have a PMR30 as well, a fun odd shaped gun, don't shoot it much, sure .22 mag is more expensive than some stuff but a lot cheaper than others, I stocked up when it was like $11 for 50... I want a CMR30 to go with it but they're spendy... I have a .380 too, wish I had gotten a 9, 9 just isn't much bigger so no point in the .380...
I'm on the other side of the fence, got 9's but wish I had a 380 lol.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
the springfield armory are nice. i have an xd in 40 with a short barrel. its actually really nice but 40 is so expensive.

revolvers are so cool looking. they just scream gunslinger

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I said that merely for ammo availability, not that I'm short but if something dumb happens (heck, even the last 2 years tell a tale) you're only going to be able to find the super common stuff...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I liked my full size xd45, but I gotta say the ergos of a glock feel much better.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have looked everytime I'm out and still can't find any 40S&W rounds. I also want a new double 20 to small game hunt with my new beagle... haven't found any 20 gauge game loads in nearly 2 years. Not buying the gun if I can't buy simple bird shot.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have looked everytime I'm out and still can't find any 40S&W rounds. I also want a new double 20 to small game hunt with my new beagle... haven't found any 20 gauge game loads in nearly 2 years. Not buying the gun if I can't buy simple bird shot.
Shotgun ammo is the only thing that has stayed constant in the last two years around here.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Shotgun ammo is the only thing that has stayed constant in the last two years around here.
I might have better luck in Michigan too. Around here it's simply unavailable.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I bought my son a 20 last year and never gave ammo a second thought. I could always easily find what I wanted for my 12s. I went to get some trap loads for him and literally there were none. A friend sold a few boxes to me so he could at least shoot it. It took me about 3 months before I was able to snag some from a store. Actually my Dad found them. A whole two boxes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals