• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about new handgun purchase.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Dumbest one a couple months ago was when the cherries were about ripe, the birds were being super jerks so I had a pellet gun in hand (cool one, but still... got about 15 of some random type of bird couple days prior), shotgun was on the camp chair 30 yards away, watching for birds I see something out of the corner of my eye, it was a pocket gopher crawling around munching on the yard about 5 yards away from me... had the hold over off by about 1/2" but the thing didn't survive, only crawled a few inches to back into his hole... most of my gophers have been within about 1.5 acres and I got over 20 last year, up to around 10 this year and there's still at least 8 after my walk tonight... they're not active when I'm able to go after them due to either weather or work mostly...
Same, we have conflicting hours. The squirrels have gotten really smart and learned my schedule. I hardly see them, but based on the damage, there's a lot.
I recently got a big pup who doesn't notice/mind the feral cat thats been visiting the yard...hopefully this combo helps with the rodents. They took over the property, now I hear rattlers going off everywhere too.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
@Blmpkn have you bought something yet or still searching?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
No purchases yet, I probably won't have the cash to burn until some time next month.
So wanting a single action”1911” style but compact enough to carry is gist of what I gathered? I’m a lefty so ambi is always a plus in my mind really rather left or right handed. Never know what situation you may end up in. Maybe you have to use non dominant hand you never know. Striker fire/double action(hammer down) I am %100 ok with carrying hot inside waste band all day long(Vedder holsters is the only thing I buy) single action I personally would never carry hot hammer back unless it has a hard safety(not grip pressure). I have a plethora of firearms. Carry a Glock 19 a lot especially as a door gun in the truck. When trying to be a little more discrete I carry a Sig P938. 9mm 1911 style frame, 7+1, ambi external safety and EXTREMELY accurate. Gun has no snap for its size being a 9mm and I shoot +p Black Hills in it. Love the gun. I PERSONALLY would rather have a P365 for more ammo and striker fire but it wasn’t out at the time I purchased mine. But that being said I am more than impressed with the accuracy, comfort, out of this sized pistol. Fully choked up my wrapping hand thumb is nearly at the end of the barrel but it’s fine. Just my opinion!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
So wanting a single action”1911” style but compact enough to carry is gist of what I gathered? I’m a lefty so ambi is always a plus in my mind really rather left or right handed. Never know what situation you may end up in. Maybe you have to use non dominant hand you never know. Striker fire/double action(hammer down) I am %100 ok with carrying hot inside waste band all day long(Vedder holsters is the only thing I buy) single action I personally would never carry hot hammer back unless it has a hard safety(not grip pressure). I have a plethora of firearms. Carry a Glock 19 a lot especially as a door gun in the truck. When trying to be a little more discrete I carry a Sig P938. 9mm 1911 style frame, 7+1, ambi external safety and EXTREMELY accurate. Gun has no snap for its size being a 9mm and I shoot +p Black Hills in it. Love the gun. I PERSONALLY would rather have a P365 for more ammo and striker fire but it wasn’t out at the time I purchased mine. But that being said I am more than impressed with the accuracy, comfort, out of this sized pistol. Fully choked up my wrapping hand thumb is nearly at the end of the barrel but it’s fine. Just my opinion!
Yeah pretty much narrowed it down to a SA 1911. I THINK it'll be some sort of rock island armory offering, but not positive on that yet.

Your comments on hammer back and chamber loaded pretty much match my own thoughts. I'm used to carrying around striker fired stuff with no real hard safety.. but it doesn't matter because there's pretty much no way it'll discharge in a holster.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Your comments on hammer back and chamber loaded pretty much match my own thoughts. I'm used to carrying around striker fired stuff with no real hard safety.. but it doesn't matter because there's pretty much no way it'll discharge in a holster.
Cocked & locked :icon_thumby:

Everyone has their preference on safety style, my preference is a physical thumb switch... the 1911 style is a good one. I am always a tad nervous carrying my Glock because it doesn't have one - I have seen some training videos where people had an accident when they went to put their gun back in the holster with their finger on the trigger or bumped it when pulling it out of the holster. Practice & training really is key no matter what anyone has, I am used to reaching for the thumb safety so that's what I carry... I just plink with everything else.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i like that style also. my xd40 has the thumb web lock and double trigger and i can see it easily accidentally getting grabbed and going off if someone is not particularly careful.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I've always been of the mindset that a self defense weapon shouldn't even HAVE a hard safety. Thus why I've always had striker fire stuff..

If your in a situation where you NEED to use your weapon and use it FAST.. your bloods probably really pumping and your head is probably running a mile a minute.. the possibility that under such duress you fail to shut the safety off the first time or even forget about the thing completely is a real one I feel like.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I can understand that... I also feel that if you have to draw and shoot so quickly that you don't have time to flip the safety/think about flipping the safety, you may also not be thinking about what your target is... are there kids right behind the bad guy? Your friend off to the side? Again I will defer to practice with what you carry and carry what you've practiced with so that it feels natural.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I can understand that... I also feel that if you have to draw and shoot so quickly that you don't have time to flip the safety/think about flipping the safety, you may also not be thinking about what your target is... are there kids right behind the bad guy? Your friend off to the side? Again I will defer to practice with what you carry and carry what you've practiced with so that it feels natural.
Yeah no your not wrong at all. All depends on the situation I guess, too many hypotheticals. I'm sure there's a million billion different theoretical situations to run through and evaluate and figure out what would help lead to the best possible outcome..

Your advice of practice what you carry and carry what you practice with is 100%. If I do end up with something I'm unfamiliar with like a 1911 I'll definitely warm up to it first before I start carrying it around.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I heard wally world stopped selling handgun ammo, and a lot of rife ammo too.
I have a strong dislike for Walmart and only shop there if I can’t find what I’m looking for somewhere else and don’t want to mail order it.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
me too. i go so little that it seems like they have rearranged it each time i go

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've always been of the mindset that a self defense weapon shouldn't even HAVE a hard safety. Thus why I've always had striker fire stuff..

If your in a situation where you NEED to use your weapon and use it FAST.. your bloods probably really pumping and your head is probably running a mile a minute.. the possibility that under such duress you fail to shut the safety off the first time or even forget about the thing completely is a real one I feel like.
Practice and get in the habit of making a thumb sweep when you draw regardless as to whether the pistol has a safety or not. That way you don’t get caught fumbling with the pistol when seconds count.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've been in a Walmart in the last 10 years.

Probably most of those times were because I was with someone that needed something and wanted to go to a Walmart.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Practice and get in the habit of making a thumb sweep when you draw regardless as to whether the pistol has a safety or not. That way you don’t get caught fumbling with the pistol when seconds count.
I'll keep that in mind!

I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've been in a Walmart in the last 10 years.

Probably most of those times were because I was with someone that needed something and wanted to go to a Walmart.
It IS relatively easy to live a Walmart free life. I really don't go there much.. not because they're the devil or whatever but.. they're just not a necessity really. Last time I bought something from Walmart was last black Friday actually... couldn't pass up the deal on a 70" TV.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals