• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Dirt Bike Score of a Liftime!

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the movie Lethal Weapon starred a dirt bike this would be it!

My week started pretty crappy with a close friend passing away which pretty much got me down,this walked into my store today and kinda put a smile on my face.
For some crazy reason for the last year I have become addicted to old Bikes of any sort.First the 2 Yamaha Big Wheels and the the 72 360 and a couple of 3 wheelers and last 2 82 Honda XL 250's,but this is the best!!!
An old dirt bike rider/farmer customer of mine wanted to know if I was interested in buying a bike he had and told me about this.....

He says its a 407 but I cant find any info on a 407 so I think its a 495.

A 1981 KTM 495!
One of the fastest production 2 Strokes ever made!
53 HP @ 7000 rpm on a 300 pound bike.
He really dosent want to sell it but I have to have IT!!!
I hope to go check it out and get a price this weekend.

This Motorcycle thing is starting to get like a crack addiction to a junkie for me.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Neat bike...big 2 strokes + me = trouble..lol. I had a cr500 and that thing is plain nasty. I also had a cr250 for 5 years and I am riding a yz125 now. I only weigh 155 lbs so it hauls me pretty nicley.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
geez,man....don't kill yourself on that thing!

wait till i can make it down there so i can kill myself with it!

that thing would be a hoot!

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And its hard to find a good Hoot these days!!!

The price tag will probably crush me though.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice find to just come strolling into the shop. I just picked up an 86 250R 3 wheeler fairly cheap. Had to put a new front tire on, drain the tank and clean the carb. Fastest thing I have rode in a while.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Ahhhh, the Great White as it was cal back in 1981!!

The 1981 model is known to be the fastest of them all. It was clocked in the open desert at 120 mph in one of the Cycle mags back in 1981. This bike didn't have a reed valve intake either. maybe why it was so fast!! It had a very long intake manifold and a small exhaust volume contributing to the overall power output at high rpm. The engine was made capable to overrev without loosing too much power. Beside the fact that this bike was the lightest 495 ever made weighing in at 229 lbs. Thus, was the reason why this bike could reach this enormous top speed. However, it was not the strongest 495. One year later for 1982, KTM added some ponies, but at lower rpm. The head had the twin spark plug. The idea was to get a more complete combustion despite the huge volume. The compression was 14:1. So, it is a very rare bike!!! They were known for high maintenance cost since they break capable of breaking down a lot.... and now, try to find parts for them.

I would get it get to take it out once in awhile but not beat on it too much. I would want it to last!! Great bike, Bro!!

I still love the 70's bikes!! Easy to maintain and ride the heck out of them. The newer bikes have more suspension of course and much easier on the old spine!!!! lol

Here are some of mine....

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that thing is TITS bro.

and 14:1? omfg

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
my friend had an 82 two stroke ktm, forget which engine, but he cant even get a kickstarter for it anymore, tried welding it, tried having a machine shop machine one, and he just can't get a good solution to work and last, so he push starts it and rides it gingerly :sad:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I hope I can go check it out this weekend.
Great collection Cat,love the old Zuk's!

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont know much about bikes other then recently i pulled outta some dudes yard a 83 XT600, musta been sitting there for a LONG time with only 125 miles on the odometer, im in the process of getting it going now, what are one of these things worth anyways lol

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I hope I can go check it out this weekend.
Great collection Cat,love the old Zuk's!
Thanks, Bro!!! Love them older rides!! Keep us posted, Bro!!!! Pull out the plug and look inside with a mag light and look for piston damage. If the bike turns over really hard with the plug out just be cautious, could be just time for piston rebuild. The crank is the worst on those bikes because a lot of people beat on them so hard and down shifted the heck out of them to get them to stop. Just use your best judgment and today if you can look up a parts supplier for the bike. Vintage Cycle mags at places like Boarders, Barnes& Noble should have some neat stuff advertised for vintage bike parts.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
i dont know much about bikes other then recently i pulled outta some dudes yard a 83 XT600, musta been sitting there for a LONG time with only 125 miles on the odometer, im in the process of getting it going now, what are one of these things worth anyways lol

Maybe $1,200- 1,400. Not too desirable anymore. There is web site for them. Just google 'XT riders clubs'. It still is a neat bike.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals