• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sport Trac Driveshaft replacement.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Center carrier bearing blew out on my driveshaft, which is a common problem on aging 07-10 Sport Tracs. It is not serviceable and you have to replace the whole thing. Thanks to Jim for the $25 Rock Auto gift certificate I won at the 20th anniversary trail ride which paid for the shipping. Need an 8mm deep wall and/or an extension for the front, 15mm deep wall for the carrier bearing nuts, and a 12mm 12 point for the rear axle. I also bought a 3/8'' 23" breaker bar, which came in handy. There was a lot of back and forth putting the Trac in Park or Neutral. I started with the front which unbolted easy enough, I sprayed everything yesterday, then it hit me that if I totally unbolted the front then I'd have no way to lock the rear so I could unbolt it. So I got everything loose before unbolting all the way and reassembled the same way. Needed some hammer and screwdriver work to separate the front from the t-case. Breaker bar was handy for the carrier bearing and rear axle nuts and bolts. The Ultra Power driveshaft from Rock Auto did not come with carrier bearing bolts so I had to put a deep wall socket under the OE bolts and hammer them out and reuse them, not a big deal. Put a dab of blue Loctite on the front and rear bolts. Feels smoother after a test ride around town.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I found one like that on a lot check about two months ago. When I got it up and found that carrier bushing I was surprised it didn't vibrate and bang and thump the whole way through the test drive.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My wife's Edge just had the rear shaft go out of hers, it had two carrier bearings and both were totally trash. It would only vibrate during a sharp turn under heavy throttle.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I found one like that on a lot check about two months ago. When I got it up and found that carrier bushing I was surprised it didn't vibrate and bang and thump the whole way through the test drive.
You could feel a little vibration but it wasn't horrible. More recently I could smell burning rubber when I got out after driving any distance so I figured it was time. :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals