• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

sohc86-06

April 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 2wd ranger
Make / Model
ford ranger spo
Transmission
Automatic
looks good man great pics to

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update time... Got done with my rear bumper.

Took probably about 8 hours total, worked on it here and there over the last week. It started out as a piece of 6x2x.250 tubing, a bit of 1/4" plate, some angle and D-rings.... Picked up the lights from walmart. Total cost was a little over $100, and I feel sorry for the person who rear-ends me. Here are some pics...

I was going to have it powder coated, but Im not completely done with the fab on it. It will get a spare tire carrier and possibly another Idea I have in my head, so right now it got the spraybomb job, After im done, it will definely get PC'd.

Next on the list is to fix my door, I found a good one at the JY and all I have to do is put it on, then its onto the front bumper and winch.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
nice work man, looks killer. you could probably run over some trees with bad boy.

mine is gonna look similar, but i'm gonna do it with some 2x4x.125 wall stock.

what'd you use to cut out for the lights? whole saw with a drill?

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Took it out wheeling for a bit today, and ended up pulling out a fullsize chevy from a mudhole and the bumper didnt even budge, Im very happy with it.

nice work man, looks killer. you could probably run over some trees with bad boy.

mine is gonna look similar, but i'm gonna do it with some 2x4x.125 wall stock.

what'd you use to cut out for the lights? whole saw with a drill?
I used a 3.5" hole saw on a drill. Probably not the best way to do it, I burned up my 110v drill, and blew the gearbox on my 18v dewalt, but the holes came out nice and round. Youll probably have an easier time on the 1/8th wall stuff...Just take your time and use lots of cutting fluid.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I used a 3.5" hole saw on a drill. Probably not the best way to do it, I burned up my 110v drill, and blew the gearbox on my 18v dewalt, but the holes came out nice and round. Youll probably have an easier time on the 1/8th wall stuff...Just take your time and use lots of cutting fluid.
you tried to use a battery powered dewalt on the holes?? i guess an 18V could do the trick.

i'm actually thinking i'll get square lights for my reverse lights. i can do straight lines with the angle grinder all day lol

been meaning to ask, what rear springs are you running?

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stock explorer 3 packs w/ the overload removed.... and my big ass shackles. I need about an inch more lift in the back, so im probably gonna mod a couple of 2" blocks and mill the angle I need to replace the degree shims (which suck anyway). I was thinking throwing a lighter AAL in there, as im not to hot on blocks, but I love the way this thing flexes and rides out back, So It will probably just get a couple of short blocks...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Stock explorer 3 packs w/ the overload removed.... and my big ass shackles. I need about an inch more lift in the back, so im probably gonna mod a couple of 2" blocks and mill the angle I need to replace the degree shims (which suck anyway). I was thinking throwing a lighter AAL in there, as im not to hot on blocks, but I love the way this thing flexes and rides out back, So It will probably just get a couple of short blocks...
take the leftover of that 6x2 stock and make your own spring perches. you can cap the ends for strength and give yourself an extra 1.5"-2" of lift. to set the pinion angle a little better, you can bolt it all up, connect the d-shaft, tack the perches and then pull it out to fully weld it

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know all about that, The reason for the degree shims is I was trying to avoid pulling the rearend right now and grinding the BS off, so it was a band aid to fix my little mistake until the next time I have the rearend out and on the bench (read: gear swap, etc), then I could grind them off and do it the right way. For now it will be just fine with a 1" block in there, I dont see massive amounts of wheel hop stemming from that, and I have the extra thread on my U-bolts.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i agree, a one inch block wont hurt anything. it's what i'll use if my explorer springs and shackles dont give me enough lift. i'm only goin 4" though, so i can probably get away with 3-3.5 inches out back

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
looks sick. what size are your d rings?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Diggin the bumper. Good job dude.

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What size are the ltbs width and how do they wear on the 15x7's?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals