• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Portable jump starters

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My big snap-on jump box is getting old so I wanna replace it. I'm looking at getting one of the newer compact jump starters cause I only use it for emergencies anyway and it would be nice if it fit in my center console. The snap on box is too big to actually carry around all the time in a regular cab truck.

So, do these little things work good enough for an emergency jump? Any brand/model recommendations that don't cost a fortune? Amazon has a ton of them for 100 bucks or less but I'm leary.

Suggestions? The two that caught my eye are a "Tack life 800amp" that says its good for up to a 6.0 gas engine for $75. Or a "Noco boost 1000amp" also good for up to 6.0 engines for $90?

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
HALO (zagg.com)

Wife swears they are good. Never used one. Pretty much idiot proof.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I bought one of those things for my wife when she was doing home health because she would sit in parking lots and chart with the engine off and the radio on. It had become fairly routine for me to have to go jump start her. It worked well enough for that for 6 months until she moved to an office position, then it got lots of use jump starting lawn mowers.

Now I can't find the charger for it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Now I can't find the charger for it.
It's in that grocery bag full of old tangled phone chargers and extension cords in the back of the downstairs closet.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Theyre all a bunch of 18650 batteries soldered together, just like power tool batteries. Theres a million of em out there, most junk. Its pretty hit and miss. I've bought a few...Some work awesome, other suck. Get one that has a case to hold the jumpers and charger and all that crap. It goes missing fast.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
My buddy has one in his expedition and uses it all the time. It is a snap on so costs about twice what it should haha. But it works. He's had a dead cell in the battery all winter. Plus its got some usb charging ports for phones and crap

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's in that grocery bag full of old tangled phone chargers and extension cords in the back of the downstairs closet.
No, I have a feeling it may have been left in the Expedition when I sold it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Found this neat video. Kinda sold me on how well they can work. Still debating which one to get as @Eddo Rogue pointed out seems like a ton of junk out there mixed in with a few quality units. I'm not paying for another snap on. Most of their electronic stuff is just rebranded crap anyway.

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
As part of my efforts to wife-proof my life, I picked up a pair of the NOCO GB40 that were on a special deal a while back on Amazon. So far, my only use has been to start my zero-turn mower last month when the battery took a dump over the winter.

I keep one in each vehicle, and each month Alexa reminds me to make sure they're still charged up.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Found this neat video. Kinda sold me on how well they can work. Still debating which one to get as @Eddo Rogue pointed out seems like a ton of junk out there mixed in with a few quality units. I'm not paying for another snap on. Most of their electronic stuff is just rebranded crap anyway.

It doesn't need to be snap on, just something decent. The trick is in the batteries, good ones use new batteries, cheapos are stuffed with recycled batteries that barely work. The price should be a good indicator, dont get the $20 one. Best one I ever had was purchased at a boat show for $100 bucks maybe 10 years ago. I think my ex ended up with it. The one I have now works ok, but not as good. But it has a case and holds charge. And yes, they are major useful. I've even shut a lift gate on a dead trailer with mine. Most have a usb charging port and a lil flash light as well.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The ones I'm looking at are all around 100 bucks. Noco seems to be one of the more popular brands so I'm leaning towards that. I don't own any big engines so I think the smallest one (1,000 amp) should be plenty. They go all the way to like 4,000 amp rated to start a 10 liter diesel lol.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Ya know... I bought a Tack Life brand on Amazon. The actual one I purchased was on special and I no longer see it. It appears the new version has a couple lighting features and a compass that mine doesn't.

Amazon.com: TACKLIFE T8 800A Peak 18000mAh Lithium Car Jump Starter for Up to 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine, 12V Auto Battery Booster with LCD Screen, Portable Power Bank with USB Quick Charge: Automotive

I had put it my truck right before I left for last years trail ride early September... I pulled it out to charge in January I think and the charge bar was lit all but the last bar. On the coldest day of the year in February it jumped my wife's Escape when the battery puked. It had been in my truck since I topped it off. I've only needed it 5 times I think but it was always ready to go. I think it was less then $50. Everything fits into a case... but it's a little to big to fit in the armrest storage. It's in my tool kit bag behind the seat.

I do agree... it's a crap shoot. There are so many on the market.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
$100 bucks sounds about right. The small ones work fine for regular size and smaller vehicles. I say go for it...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
while were on the subject of technology making life easier...I paired my mini jumper with one of these:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
while were on the subject of technology making life easier...I paired my mini jumper with one of these:

View attachment 58043
I bought one of those on Amazon too and keep it in the truck with a plug kit. Chinese brand for like 30 bucks but the dang thing works great. It has a digital setting so you just set the PSI you want and it turns itself off when it's done. Been working perfect for 4 years now and I use it all the time. If it died tomorrow it was still well worth the cost. Sometimes cheap Chinese stuff works...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals