• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Portable jump starters

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I bought one of those on Amazon too and keep it in the truck with a plug kit. Chinese brand for like 30 bucks but the dang thing works great. It has a digital setting so you just set the PSI you want and it turns itself off when it's done. Been working perfect for 4 years now and I use it all the time. If it died tomorrow it was still well worth the cost. Sometimes cheap Chinese stuff works...

If I paired it to a 4 tire inflation/ deflator kit think it would do all 4 at once without burning up? If so I'm ordering one tonight

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If I paired it to a 4 tire inflation/ deflator kit think it would do all 4 at once without burning up? If so I'm ordering one tonight
Lol no. It takes it 5+ minutes just to fill one 27" tire from say 15psi to 32psi. Trying to fill 4 tires at once would probably take all day and overheat it. :icon_rofl:

It's just a good little emergency pump or for a quick top off, nothing more.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Lol no. It takes it 5+ minutes just to fill one 27" tire from say 15psi to 32psi. Trying to fill 4 tires at once would probably take all day and overheat it. :icon_rofl:

It's just a good little emergency pump or for a quick top off, nothing more.
Looks like I'm still saving for a arb haha

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
My big snap-on jump box is getting old so I wanna replace it. I'm looking at getting one of the newer compact jump starters cause I only use it for emergencies anyway and it would be nice if it fit in my center console. The snap on box is too big to actually carry around all the time in a regular cab truck.

So, do these little things work good enough for an emergency jump? Any brand/model recommendations that don't cost a fortune? Amazon has a ton of them for 100 bucks or less but I'm leary.

Suggestions? The two that caught my eye are a "Tack life 800amp" that says its good for up to a 6.0 gas engine for $75. Or a "Noco boost 1000amp" also good for up to 6.0 engines for $90?
I have the Tack Life 800amp Lithium Jump pack....it works great. I've charged it once since I've had it in 2 years. I used it once to start my 91 Ford Tempo to drive it around into the driveway from out back so a guy could get to it with a tow dolly....the jump pack ran the car I didn't have a battery in the car at all. I had to start the car about 5 or 6 times with it because well, my attempt at replacing the head gasket went south and caused further problems it was only sort of running it would die if I let off the accelerator....so 5 to 6 times starting the car then driving it a few hundred yards around the property and into the driveway. I think it ran it down to about 89% that time. I've used it a couple times to jump start my Bronco 2 and my Ranger after having battery failures. Used it to jump start a lawn tractor a while back for a friend, and used it to test start the engine in an 86 Ford Ranger a while back that I thought about buying.

That Tack Life seems to work very well, although it seems to have some weird charging issues, mine never charges to 100%, it stops at 99% no matter how long its left plugged into the charger. It works great, and maybe that's just how its designed to not fully charge who knows its some cheap Chinesium stuff anyhow....if it dies I'd probably buy another one. It comes with all sorts of ports on it for USB charging, a direct 12V barrel type port for 12V cigarette lighter adapter that comes in the kit too. I don't use it hardly at all but well worth having if you are out somewhere and need a jump, nobody knows what jumper cables are anymore and nobody seems to want to help other motorists, so its always best to have your own way to jump your vehicle. I've actually thought about dual batteries in my Bronco 2, more or less for amateur radio stuff, but as a 2nd starting battery as well if needed with a switch to go from A/B/AB for emergency starting if I needed it, but until then the Lithium Jump Pack works great.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I have an anker one in the wife's car that has worked well so far. she hasnt needed it but has let people use it before. also handy if you need a random cell charge. I went with the anker because it has good protective case and I trust the brand. All those amazon ones make me nervous. I had a random one from amazon catch fire on me one day, that was a treat

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I ended up ordering the Tack Life 1000 amp. It had really good reviews and was on sale for $69.99. I'll let you guys know if I wasted my money or not. :icon_rofl:

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
I have tach life one. It works. Had for a year used about dozen times, even cranked my 6.0 powerstroke when bats were weak on a cold day.

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
Small jump packs are really scary. You basically have an enormous lithium battery capable of delivering 100s of amps in a plastic shell. The cheap ones are terrifying because they cheap out on the expensive safety hardware. Lithium batteries are effectively a pouch of gasoline with an air-sensitive heating element in them.

This is a bit more expensive than your budget but it does not use lithium technology. Lithium does not work well in extreme cold and is downright dangerous in hot car temperatures. The autowit requires a slightly different technique to start your car but is less prone to failure.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I looked up the capacitor style jumpers. I like the concept, the problem is they simply don't work unless there is still enough juice in the cars battery to load up the capacitor. If the battery is truly dead they are useless. Plus they don't work as a power pack for charging phones etc.

If your scared of lithium batteries just remember, there's probably one sitting a half inch away from your balls right now. :icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a NOCO, works great for me.

I have mainly used it on my tractors, 226CI gas and smaller. Works awesome for that.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
You won't go wrong with a NOCO. The rest I cannot comment on. Some are probably pretty good for the price, others probably not.

I've got a couple of the NOCO GB150's (3000 amp) and I've yet to see anything they wouldn't start, even with a practically dead battery. It does need minimal feedback voltage to activate, but most all of them do. Most AC chargers these days won't charge a completely dead battery. If there's not some voltage feedback, they simply won't turn on.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I looked up the capacitor style jumpers. I like the concept, the problem is they simply don't work unless there is still enough juice in the cars battery to load up the capacitor. If the battery is truly dead they are useless. Plus they don't work as a power pack for charging phones etc.

If your scared of lithium batteries just remember, there's probably one sitting a half inch away from your balls right now. :icon_rofl:
I am only scared of clowns and fat chicks.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I bought that Noco one you mentioned. First time I used it was on my mom's Volvo she left in my yard. Battery was so dead it wouldnt even run the odometer. Once I figured out how to make the thing work it started it. 2.5L 5cyl. Struggled a bit but did it. Has fancy hazard lights on it strobes and such. That's the 1000amp Juan.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Looks like I'm still saving for a arb haha
I was looking at compressors myself. I had thoughts of doing and air tank and compressor but I think I'm just gonna do a compressor. I should have bought this one while they were still in stock. I check every other day or so and nothing for a few weeks now... as soon as they come back I'm gonna snag one.

Amazon.com: ALL-TOP Heavy Duty Portable 12V Air Compressor Kit Inflate 180L (6.35Ft³)/Min Max 150PSI Metal Heat Dissipation ensures Duty Job for Pros Includes a 1680D Rugged Carry Bag for 4x4 Vehicle: Automotive

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals