• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Plugs and wires

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Her guys. I'm getting a tick/clicking sound from cylinders. I believe it's middle passenger side, #4? Extreme shaking after 60mph. Gutless. Idle rpms bounce. Started checking around, one plug lose (not suspect) and the suspect cylinder is in picture. My current question is, why is there no green gel stuff in one out of 6 plugs?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cylinders on Fords are number this way, on V6 or V8 numbering starts on passenger side front to back then to drivers side front to back
So V6 would be
3 6
2 5
1 4
front

So #2 would be middle of passenger side
Ford calls passenger side bank 1, and drivers side bank 2

People often put dielectric grease in the BOOTS of spark plug wires, NOT on the metal parts that are suppose to conduct the spark
Dielectric grease prevents moisture intrusion and can keep the boots from getting stuck to spark plug or coil pack

Dielectric grease is used because it does NOT conduct electricity like other types of grease can, so avoid getting it on the metal conductors of wires, clean it off if seen on the metal parts

Ford Motorcraft Spark plug wires last about 10 years before they need to be changed, other brands less

FYI, Chevy/GM numbers cylinders this way, start on Drivers side and cross over to other side then back to drivers side
So GM V6 would be
6 5
4 3
2 1
front
So odd and even bank numbers

So #4 would be correct if it was a GM engine/vehicle

Last edited:

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Appreciate the layout. Not having gel is OK, make sure gel is inside not outside of metal. Back to poking around, should I delete this post?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
No... don't delete it... it isn't fixed yet.

Engine tick... when is the last time you changed the oil? How many miles?

RPM's bounce at idle... I always start looking for vacuum leaks. If ok... clean the MAF and IAC.

Shakes and gutless at cruise... When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? I would also check your fuel pressure as a starting point.

If you're going to tune it up... use Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. Nothing else will do. Same with filters... you can buy Motorcraft filters at Walmart... and they're cheap.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Bought this as is. Less than 7k on air filter. Mechanic wrote it on air box. Spark wires look new. So I think that was part of getting it to run prior to selling. I know there is exhaust leak, probably gasket on headers. I customized the factory air box to be less restrictive and now I get steady rpms. Kind of. It starts cold and idle at 1500. As it warms it likes 1200 little bounce to 1000 occasionally. After giving gas for a couple mins it seems to stay at 700. This is running engine for 20 min.
Oil Change tomorrow, will update after so stay tuned!!!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
For the love of god use motorcraft or autolite plugs and wires... i just had a set of non motorcraft wires on my 2.3 that started arcing through after about 5,000 miles. They "looked" brand new until you took them off and inspected them close and could see the small arc marks.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will check on that after oil change. Want to get plug puller before sparks

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No... don't delete it... it isn't fixed yet.

Engine tick... when is the last time you changed the oil? How many miles?

RPM's bounce at idle... I always start looking for vacuum leaks. If ok... clean the MAF and IAC.

Shakes and gutless at cruise... When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? I would also check your fuel pressure as a starting point.

If you're going to tune it up... use Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. Nothing else will do. Same with filters... you can buy Motorcraft filters at Walmart... and they're cheap.
Oil tested, copper levels fine.
Does exhaust leak count as vacuum leak? I assume so. I believe all my symptoms can be attributed to that leak. Heard a lot of Fords since last update, and a lot of the 90 looking ones have the same noise. Some that look well taken care of. Question is: Assuming the exhaust leak is causing all problems, how hard on the engine would that be? Just loss of power and mpgs?
Valve cover is leaking but in 8 months I'm still not quite down to full. Was a bit over filled when bought in November 2019.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Exhaust leak is not a vacuum leak but can cause a rich running condition if the leak is before the upstream o2 sensor. The leak will cause the o2 sensor to under report the amount of fuel in the exhaust and the computer will compensate by adding more fuel. Not good for the catalytic converter.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Exhaust leak is not a vacuum leak but can cause a rich running condition if the leak is before the upstream o2 sensor. The leak will cause the o2 sensor to under report the amount of fuel in the exhaust and the computer will compensate by adding more fuel. Not good for the catalytic converter.
Oxygen sensors don't report the amount of fuel in anything. They report the amount of oxygen. It causes a rich condition because fresh air entering between the cylinder and the sensor makes it over-report the amount of oxygen left over from the combustion event.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, '93 so no emissions.... Under report fuel, over report oxygen, either way is going to add fuel right? Rich running effectively lowers mpg, probably power also. Especially when flooring it. Failing O2 sensor cause the same effect? That's the one on the y pipe correct? Leak is for sure gasket on headers. They look so bad im buying new ones. But either way, it doesn't sound like a cylinder miss fire anymore? To me anyway.

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If you hear the ticking just when you first start it cold, but then goes away as it warms up, that's normal (for a 4.0ohv). I think its because of the narrow oil passages in the pushrods or somethin like that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals