• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mid Grade gas makes noticeable difference on my Ranger

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The unbranded gas is still better than ARCO lol. IDK what it is about ARCO, its like the terrible quervo of tequilas.
My 89 2.9L Ranger ran fine on ARCO but it would not start right away in the morning. Apparently, it would foul the injector tips when shut down. The dealer told me to run premium, but they got Ford engineers involved and they had the mechanic replace the spark plugs and a couple injectors. They said premium should not be needed. Their fix worked for a while, but the problem came back. I decided to switch to Chevron regular, and the problem went away.

About the time I bought my 02 Ranger, I noticed ARCO had become a top tier gas. I decided to try it again and over the 282K miles I have driven it with ARCO regular, I have not had any problems related to fuel. I am still running the original injectors too.

Then again, I don't mind drinking Cuervo either.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I fill my cans for the yard equipment and gen I add some Stabill, usually. I normally run out the tank when I don't think I'll be using it for a while.

Only time I've ever had an issue was with weedwhackers. Never had a weed Wacker that would run good, even with a freshly cleaned or new replacement carb. I've had two stroke and four stroke weedwhackers too. I gave up on them when I tried a cordless electric one.

I have to take the carb apart and clean it on my Honda riding mower this spring, It was running like shit last fall from running some dirty gas. Lot of sediment made it into the bowl. Cleaned the tank out and go a few new fuel filters.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
When I fill my cans for the yard equipment and gen I add some Stabill, usually. I normally run out the tank when I don't think I'll be using it for a while.

Only time I've ever had an issue was with weedwhackers. Never had a weed Wacker that would run good, even with a freshly cleaned or new replacement carb. I've had two stroke and four stroke weedwhackers too. I gave up on them when I tried a cordless electric one.

I have to take the carb apart and clean it on my Honda riding mower this spring, It was running like shit last fall from running some dirty gas. Lot of sediment made it into the bowl. Cleaned the tank out and go a few new fuel filters.
The weedwhackers are the worst, especially cheap ones. I dont even bother with anything they sell at big box stores. My property eats up cheapos laughingly.

I got the Stihl FS100 and try to exclusively run their factory pre mix in it. Fires right up every time. I did have to replace the primer bulb on it once. I changed the spark plug too.

I had a Stihl MS250. Purchased brand new and never worked that good. It would randomly start right away or not at all, and even with a brand new chain it never cut very well. I got rid of it and now run the MS661 as my big saw. I love that thing.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Supposedly, the Stabil coats everything and prevents that. So far, it hasn't be a problem over a good number of years. Maybe we're both right? Conversely, maybe we're both wrong? 🤷‍♂️
I use Marvel Mystery Oil in all my vehicles all year long. Never have a problem with winter storage of my motorcycles. Oh, I may start them once a month or so. But not always, sometimes it's just too dang cold to bother with it. And as always, when late March comes around, they all fire right up.

I think the MMO does the same thing. Coats the entire fuel system with itself, including the injectors. And when my last three bikes had multiple carbs, one three , the other six, same, never had a problem starting them after they sat all winter long.

I do put all my bikes on Battery Tenders for the duration of winter. That's the biggest thing right there, batteries dying from the cold and ignorance.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a Stihl saw I think it's a MS 261. Besides the fact it doesn't have a primer bulb and you have to do a secret hand shake to get it to start, I like it. Bought it to replace the Echo I have, could never get he oiler to keep from clogging after the first cut. Runs good, so I keep it around as a beater, if I need to cut a root or something.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 89 2.9L Ranger ran fine on ARCO but it would not start right away in the morning. Apparently, it would foul the injector tips when shut down. The dealer told me to run premium, but they got Ford engineers involved and they had the mechanic replace the spark plugs and a couple injectors. They said premium should not be needed. Their fix worked for a while, but the problem came back. I decided to switch to Chevron regular, and the problem went away.

About the time I bought my 02 Ranger, I noticed ARCO had become a top tier gas. I decided to try it again and over the 282K miles I have driven it with ARCO regular, I have not had any problems related to fuel. I am still running the original injectors too.

Then again, I don't mind drinking Cuervo either.
My 98 3.0 still has the original injectors. Never been removed. Fires up first turn of the key every time, at 187,000. For awhile it didn't. Ended up being the EVAP hoes full of holes. Removed the hose rom the driver's side fender to the intake manifold, VOOM, fires up first time every time once again.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I use Marvel Mystery Oil in all my vehicles all year long. Never have a problem with winter storage of my motorcycles. Oh, I may start them once a month or so. But not always, sometimes it's just too dang cold to bother with it. And as always, when late March comes around, they all fire right up.

I think the MMO does the same thing. Coats the entire fuel system with itself, including the injectors. And when my last three bikes had multiple carbs, one three , the other six, same, never had a problem starting them after they sat all winter long.

I do put all my bikes on Battery Tenders for the duration of winter. That's the biggest thing right there, batteries dying from the cold and ignorance.
Yeah, you gotta keep those batteries charged. Some people go so far as pulling them from their bikes and store them in a temperature controlled space while sitting on a rubber mat.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
One of my bikes, the 08 B-king, had a lithium Ion battery when I bought it. It never liked sitting out the winter, even plugged into a proper charger. Those batteries just don't like cold, and lose range during the winter. Yeah, that one I pulled and kept indoors until winter ended. The others, such as the one in my 06 M109R, it is four years old and still kicks it when the key is turned. I use the tenders all year long. All the bikes have a plug hanging down inside the rear fender, with a cap to protect them. So I just ride into the garage, uncover the plug and plug it in. I have a battery tender for my Ranger and Lighting as well.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
One of my bikes, the 08 B-king, had a lithium Ion battery when I bought it. It never liked sitting out the winter, even plugged into a proper charger. Those batteries just don't like cold, and lose range during the winter. Yeah, that one I pulled and kept indoors until winter ended. The others, such as the one in my 06 M109R, it is four years old and still kicks it when the key is turned. I use the tenders all year long. All the bikes have a plug hanging down inside the rear fender, with a cap to protect them. So I just ride into the garage, uncover the plug and plug it in. I have a battery tender for my Ranger and Lighting as well.
I thought lithium batteries needed a special charger. Something about the way a regular battery charger charges, it can damage them?

Lithium batteries have their place. I’m not sure a starter battery is one of them.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

What kind of tender do you use?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought lithium batteries needed a special charger. Something about the way a regular battery charger charges, it can damage them?

Lithium batteries have their place. I’m not sure a starter battery is one of them.
The battery was a Ballistic lithium ion battery. Yes, it had a special charger. Had to buy it separately. My friend put that battery in the bike in like 2013. And it died flat out in 2020. So 7 years from functioning great at first, then slowly getting worse every year, then flat out died with no warning. Rode it one day, the next day, flat out dead. These electric cars will be fun when they start doing that. BWAHAHA!!

I know a woman that has a 2015 Tesla Model S. So it's now 8 years old. She already told me (She cuts my hair), no new battery. When it's time, it's outta here. Never a gain. A friend of mine, his brother and his bro's wife have Model 3's. Same with them, when the battery goes, the cars go. Never again! Seems to be what a lot of people are saying. A recent Gallup poll found that over 50% of eve owners said, NEVER AGAIN!

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What kind of tender do you use?
The one's I use come from NAPA. Not sure what they are exactly. I have bought them at different periods of time, and the keep changing up the designs. So I have one actual Battery Tender, and four NAPA tenders, all different. But they all function the same, and work swell.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My Ranger definitely runs happiest and gets better fuel economy on premium. Seems to be a common trait with the 4.0 SOHC, as others here have mentioned.

It's even better with non-ethanol premium (93 octane) gasoline, but I have to drive 50 miles to get it. A few fuel stations closer to home have non-ethanol 89 or 91 octane.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger definitely runs happiest and gets better fuel economy on premium. Seems to be a common trait with the 4.0 SOHC, as others here have mentioned.

It's even better with non-ethanol premium (93 octane) gasoline, but I have to drive 50 miles to get it. A few fuel stations closer to home have non-ethanol 89 or 91 octane.
I'm lucky. A friend of mine has a Sinclair station three miles from me. He gets 93 octane Shell V-Power Nitro non ethanol. Has to have it trucked in from Arkansas. Currently $4.69. Not complaining.

My 3.0 will run on 87, but it pings lightly. It will run great on the mid grade he sells, 90 octane. But generally, because I am there to fill three five gallon containers for my three bikes, I am getting 93 octane. So I just go ahead and top off the old girl while I'm there. Get home, put five ounces of Marvel Mystery oil in each of the containers, and an ounce per gallon for every gallon I put in the vehicle I drove there.

I buy the Marvel Mystery Oil in gallon jugs. Keep four quart bottles with four ounce markings on them in the garage, to keep full using the gallon jug.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I have a Stihl saw I think it's a MS 261. Besides the fact it doesn't have a primer bulb and you have to do a secret hand shake to get it to start, I like it. Bought it to replace the Echo I have, could never get he oiler to keep from clogging after the first cut. Runs good, so I keep it around as a beater, if I need to cut a root or something.
My MS250 was like that. Secret handshake lol describes it perfectly. Also no primer bulb.

The 661 has some electronic doohickus, and automatic decompression. Starts great.

My little MS193T has a primer bulb, but I use it so much that it stays fresh year round. It always fires right up and is my favorite....cuts great and never seems to get dull. I switch up between 12",14" and 16" bar lengths.

I got a few makita battery powered for light work, they do fine. My buddies have the Milwaukees, they seem to be decent as well.

The only problem with battery is minding the oil. No gas fill to remind you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals