• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mid Grade gas makes noticeable difference on my Ranger

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My MS311 doesn't have a primer bulb either but does have the decompression button. It usually only takes a few pulls to get it to start.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mine wouldn't start for so long I almost expected to scarp it. Then I tried a shot of ether and 2 or 3 pulls it started :)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Mine wouldn't start for so long I almost expected to scarp it. Then I tried a shot of ether and 2 or 3 pulls it started :)
Nothing beats a visit from the ether bunny.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My MS250 was like that. Secret handshake lol describes it perfectly. Also no primer bulb
If you don’t read the instructions to figure out the handshake it’ll never start, but once you read the little book that comes with the saw it starts up perfectly every time. Weird lol.

My shitty echo that I abuse the crap out of starts up on the first pull every time. Same thing with my push mower I also abuse the crap out of.

The lawn equipment I treat well all seems to hate me though.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My shitty echo that I abuse the crap out of starts up on the first pull every time. Same thing with my push mower I also abuse the crap out of.

The lawn equipment I treat well all seems to hate me though.
Same here. The big irony is that the cheap base-model push mower I bought from that big blue box store 2 years ago is the easiest starting, nicest running mower I've ever had, and some of the past ones were a lot more expensive. The previous one was a "nicer" Craftsman from a local Sears that was going out of business, and that mower turned out to be a piece of crap with lots of little problems and hard starting.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Same here. The big irony is that the cheap base-model push mower I bought from that big blue box store 2 years ago is the easiest starting, nicest running mower I've ever had, and some of the past ones were a lot more expensive. The previous one was a "nicer" Craftsman from a local Sears that was going out of business, and that mower turned out to be a piece of crap with lots of little problems and hard starting.
My push mower is a Hyper Tough I got for $30 as a floor model from Wally World. Cheapest mower you could find, side discharge only, ect.

I ran that little brigs on dirty kerosene and ether for a summer. Doesn’t seem to care.

99 XLT

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Transmission
Manual
I manage a landscaping company and we obviously use a ton of weed eaters and blowers, power tools etc.

Sometimes it flat out doesn't matter what you do, the tool is just a pain in the rump to start or use. We often order 10+ of the same tool, like this year we bought 10 brand new echo weed eaters, back pack blowers, and some stihl chainsaws. Every single one of those machines runs different. Each one starts it's own little weird way. Some like a bit of throttle, some flood if you give throttle. Some start with no choke, others need choke for 2-3 minutes.

They're mass-produced machines, not hand built. They're also way less adjustable than they were in years past. Basically every 2 stroke we run now has no adjustments on the carb, maybe a throttle screw, but almost nothing. If it's running bad right from the factory, I can't re-jet it, or adjust jets / airflow. My only option is to find the choke sweet spot. I blame this on every carb now being casted plastic with plastic jets that aren't removeable. Those are never going to be perfect and exact like a milled or molded metal jet in a metal carb.

Gas doesn't matter much to us. We always buy the cheapest 87, mix some seafoam in each 5gal tank, and it's good to go. Even after letting 20gals sit all winter, it's good come spring. Some machines just flat out are going to give you a hard time no-matter what you do.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I manage a landscaping company and we obviously use a ton of weed eaters and blowers, power tools etc.

Sometimes it flat out doesn't matter what you do, the tool is just a pain in the rump to start or use. We often order 10+ of the same tool, like this year we bought 10 brand new echo weed eaters, back pack blowers, and some stihl chainsaws. Every single one of those machines runs different. Each one starts it's own little weird way. Some like a bit of throttle, some flood if you give throttle. Some start with no choke, others need choke for 2-3 minutes.

They're mass-produced machines, not hand built. They're also way less adjustable than they were in years past. Basically every 2 stroke we run now has no adjustments on the carb, maybe a throttle screw, but almost nothing. If it's running bad right from the factory, I can't re-jet it, or adjust jets / airflow. My only option is to find the choke sweet spot. I blame this on every carb now being casted plastic with plastic jets that aren't removeable. Those are never going to be perfect and exact like a milled or molded metal jet in a metal carb.

Gas doesn't matter much to us. We always buy the cheapest 87, mix some seafoam in each 5gal tank, and it's good to go. Even after letting 20gals sit all winter, it's good come spring. Some machines just flat out are going to give you a hard time no-matter what you do.
How much seafood per 5 gallons?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Lol... damn autocorrect...
Meant seafoam.
I think that the rule of thumb is 1 inch for every 1 gallon.

Oh wait; that's for aquariums. You may want to consider a pond for raising seafood.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How many shrimp per gallon? :LOL:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

This. My MS250 was just a dud. When it wanted to, it would fire right up, other times it just refused to start. I would come back later and it would fire right up. depended on the day.

Even on a good day with it running like a champ and a fresh chain, it just wouldn't cut good.

On the contrary my MS193 gets abused and loves it. It is a little workhorse and bulletproof reliable.

Whats funny is the dud MS250 I purchased brand new from a mom and pop mower shop. The awesome lil MS193T I purchased well used from a retired tree trimmer.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
My 2 cents, for what it's worth is to use all synthetic oil too. Engine performance is increased because it turns over easier. Is it actually cheaper? I'm not sure.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My 2 cents, for what it's worth is to use all synthetic oil too. Engine performance is increased because it turns over easier. Is it actually cheaper? I'm not sure.
I run synthetic in everything, including my power equipment. I’ve never noticed a measurable difference in fuel usage or power but I do know for a fact that the insides of the engine are cleaner.

When I still had Honda CR-Vs, every so many miles you had to do a valve lash adjustment to prevent burnt valves. When I had only one vehicle and less expenses, I ran Amsoil. The engine looked brand new inside. With the cheaper synthetics, it wasn’t as clean but was a heck of a lot cleaner than when it was fed dino oil.

So, if for nothing else, I’m a big believer in synthetics for that. So much so, I use synthetic oils in my differentials as well. Supposedly Mercon V is synthetic. I imagine Mercon LV and ULV would be.

I also just found out the 2019 requires a special Dot 4 LV brake fluid. That is listed as synthetic. As hard as that stuff is to find and as expensive as it is, the 2011 isn’t going to get it. Dot 3 works just fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals