• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mazda b2300 spindle/bearing issues and rotors don't match parts store inventory.

sarcastic_cook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been poking around on here for a while trying to come up with something to match my issue. With no luck and tired eyes I am posting for some advice.

I have an 02 B2300 2wd that I bought about 6 years ago. One year in and the 3:73 rear end went out. I put in a 4:10 from a 99 ranger that is so much better. In the last couple years or so it has started having front end problems. Vibration in the steering wheel and floor board. Got my tires rotated/balanced, put in new shocks with no change. So then I moved on to new inner/outer tie rods, front bearings and alignment. That seemed to help for a while. About that time I got some almost new tires(less than 500 miles on them). After a while the vibration came back. On top of that it was time to make a 1000 mile move w/trailer. I decided to go with new bearings, brakes, drums and ROTORS all the way around including upper control arms, lower ball joints and sway bar bushings(old bearings looked to be in good shape). That brought about another issue. The rotors listed at the store had a diameter to small for the caliper and spindle. We looked at other years and models on the computer and found that the (I think it was) 03 ranger ran a larger rotor. I took them home to find a perfect match(I figure it was probably in an accident or something). Again the bearing change helped. Then I moved. Soon once again it started, but this time I get a pop in the steering every now and again usually in a parking lot making a turn. I decided to pack the bearings and see if that helped. When I cleaned off the spindles it looked like they are wearing about where the bearings sit. Same story. A month or so later during an oil change I decided to wiggle the wheels. It seemed like the bearings were loose so I reset the adjustment. Same problem, even worse now. Feels like the tires are going to fall off if they don't wear out first. The only front end related items that have not been replaced are lower control arm bushings, rack & pinion and the spindles. I want to replace the bearings and spindles but I have hit a wall. I have been looking for replacement spindles checking fitments and stuff. Because my rotors are bigger than stock and all the used spindles I have looked are interchangeable between the years I'm just not sure. Are all the spindles between years the same and the calipers bigger/longer or vise versa. I have tried to include as much info as possible. Any advice, help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Lower control arm bushings not replaced...BINGO.

My strange Ssangyong was doing that pop on turns like in and out of the driveway. Turning sharp while backing up. Turning the wheels while standing still mainly on pavement. Strange off and on vibration while driving affected by different road surfaces.

Went to a front end shop and they put it up on a lift and we took a look. Didn't show up until we took a crow bar and started prying around on things. Lower control arm bushings looked good from the outside but were completely gone inside. In the case of my wierd Korean vehicle it was cheaper to buy new lower control arms than it was to replace the bushings.

Get it up on a lift and start prodding around to see if you have the same problem.

I almost forgot... WELCOME TO TRS.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I just replaced the pads and rotors on my '01... I ran into the same problem with wrong size rotors. They only had the larger diameter rotors listed for the torsion bar suspension, not the coil spring suspension. It seems the aftermarket cant figure out what Ford did.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It seems the aftermarket cant figure out what Ford did.
If it makes you feel any better half the time I give up trying to figure out what Ford did and go to the vehicle build sheet to see what it was supposed to have.

sarcastic_cook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for your replies, especially to PanamaExpat. Your experience sounds like a lot of my problems. I suppose that would also make the wheel appear to feel loose? I will get it up on a jack in a couple days and check it out. In the meantime It looks like I have some pricing to do. I look forward to letting you all know if the bushings are the culprit. Thanks again.

sarcastic_cook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I finally got around to checking the bushings. The rear ones seem to be in fair condition but the front are gone. I ordered the new ones and need to find time to install them. Good thing i have a few other vehicles to use in the mean time. I will post another update after the install and test drive. Thanks again.

sarcastic_cook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Its funny you should mention that. I was debating on mentioning that I ordered all of them. Lol. After it posted I got to thinking about what many others might have done. The way I figure is: if I'm going to take something apart then I'm going to replace most/all components to avoid doing it again too soon.

Do you have any tips/tricks that may aid in this repair? I have the repair manual and know a few time saving tips for this truck, but not many for front suspension and alignment.

Thank you.

Everything works out better when it gets done right the first time.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Well... Having a press helps. If you don't you can torch out the old rubber centers. Take a hack saw and cut just through the old sleeve. Knock it out with a hammer. Then with a wood block between the new one and the hammer drive it in place. Put the control arms back on vehicle and take it in for an alignment.

Clean and paint while it is apart to help fight off the rust monsters.

Mind you I have not done a Ford Ranger IFS. This is what I have found with other IFS vehicles.

sarcastic_cook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Right on! I do not have a press and that would have set me back a good chunk of time figuring that out. Fortunately I may be able to barrow the press and spring compressor to have ready. I guess I will go dig out the book and see what else I need for this job.

I have an unrelated problem that I have not had time to look into. Do you know if there are any other posts relating to the stock/optional 4-flat trailer wiring harness? Mine keeps popping fuses. When I need to use the trailer I usually need a new fuse.

sarcastic_cook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
More info/questions on the spindles

My problem may still include the spindles. I am pretty busy till after Memorial day so have not replaced the bushings yet but I did play around with the tires. Here is what I found. Moving the tires in and out produced no movement which I figured the bearings were a bit tight. Moving the tires horizontally seemed normal. Moving the tires vertically I found the movement to be more of a pivot/rocking up and down motion. It seems like the inner bearing is fine but the outer bearing is lose producing the rocking motion. I had my friend do the same movements while I made sure that the other suspension parts were not the cause. I am going to check the bearings again when I do the bushings. Does anyone have the measurement specs for the spindles? Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

F.Y.I. I am pretty hard on my vehicles and drive them on some really rough roads.:3gears:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals