• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking at a passanger car, any help?

IDontCare

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Subaru IMPREZA WRX STI

olred90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my brother just bought a 95 ford aspire because his f-150 was killing him on gas going to work. its damn ugly. its like a purplish blue color with a red fender and front bumper with a darker red hood. dents and scratches all over it. 3 hub caps, all from a honda. the driver side door lock looks like its been shot out. he doesnt care, it's his easter egg. and its gets the job done

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya, suburus are pretty bad ass! the only thing is people who drive non-sti's are either gay or 100 years old. nice cars though.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would say you could get a Saturn Ion. I mean american made 5 speed or 6 speed manual I think, get the Quad Coupe so it looks sporty, the engine is quite peppy, and you can get like 32 - 35 mpgs city or highway. And all for around 15K with most options. My only regret is not talking my dad into buying this version and not the 11K striped down version. still fast as heck though. :icon_thumby:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not to start a shit storm but unless you plan on owning something forever, avoid the American cars. The hold their value the same as a strainer holds water.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to start a shit storm but unless you plan on owning something forever, avoid the American cars. The hold their value the same as a strainer holds water.
Simple solution is not to buy new and take advantage of them loosing their value.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Simple solution is not to buy new and take advantage of them loosing their value.
They still hemorrhage value Even if you buy it 5 years old, it still drops faster than there toyota, honda, Nissan, act competition.

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What recalls? I worked for Nissan up until last year and the only engine recall effected a small number of cars. And after the fact, even 2/3 of those cars weren't actually effected. I did however see many many 2.5 liters in fleet cars with over 150k on them and no problems. Plus it's the peppiest 4 cyl out of the cars mentioned.

PS I currently work for Toyota, so I am not biased.
I'm working for Nissan now. Almost every other day I got a 2.5 ECU re-program (although that dosn't make them bad, persay). I get to re-place a few cam/crank sensors a week. On the new body Altimas I do a lot of tensioner bolt re-calls, and exhuast braket re-calls. A lot of the tech's that have been there longer than me have replaced a lot of the 2.5's cause they keep crapping out due to the cam/crank sensors. The motors just are poorly built compaired to the rest of nissan's motors. They do have plenty of power though and I'm sure you can make them last but they just don't seem to be well built at all.

The worst re-call I've had though is the one out on the sentra's now. The brake master cylinder leaks out the back and into the power booster. Out of the 40 I've done only 3 car's wern't affected.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Like what I did. 2001 PT Cruiser, 2.4L non turbo, power windows, power locks, keyless entry, every window tinted (aside from windshield), am/fm/casset/cd, 5 speed manual, chrome package, with 151000km all highway, all for $5500, when a Civic/Accord or Corolla/Camry of the same age would still be well over the $10k mark, and with the PT I have a lot more storage room. Just needed a timing belt, and a windshield, and both are done at a grand total of $350 (including water pump when doing the timing belt). And for the millions of them there are on the road, I'm only worked on a handful of them. I'd say American cars from the last 5-ish years are just as reliable as any import, and in some cases, more. I've noticed the quality of Honda's and Toyota's going down in quality as well. Most cars are made equal now, but Honda and Toyota will cost you an arm and a leg to buy a used one, when an American car of the same size and quality is quite less.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They still hemorrhage value Even if you buy it 5 years old, it still drops faster than there toyota, honda, Nissan, act competition.
If you buy it at 5 years old and sell it when it is 15, the money you saved when you bought it more than what you lost when you sell it.

Not to mention there isn't an import dealership for the lovely "dealer only parts" within an hour drive from my garage... I ran into that with my last import.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im gonna be different, u want something thats quick, gets 50 mpg, and has lots of potential for mods as well as lots of room,

get yourself a VW Jetta GLS TDI, turbo diesel FTW

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Cars are not investments. It's a huge mistake to think of them that way.

Trade-ins are ALWAYS a rip-off. I won't pay more than $2000 for a vehicle in good shape. Which is why I drive a '91 and a '95, both with over 200K miles.

They are both worth next to nothing, but they get me where I need to go.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cars are not investments. It's a huge mistake to think of them that way.

Trade-ins are ALWAYS a rip-off. I won't pay more than $2000 for a vehicle in good shape. Which is why I drive a '91 and a '95, both with over 200K miles.

They are both worth next to nothing, but they get me where I need to go.
I am intelligent enough to know cars are not an investment(normally, Gramps has two Vettes that defy that logic). However, like any loss situation, it makes good sense to manage that loss. Meaning you stay away from the higher loss potential.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And they way you do that is to buy 20 year old vehicles for pennies on the dollar.

How long does it take a brand new Toyota Corolla to lose $2000? How long does it take a 1998? What about a 1988? All of these are fuel injected and get mileage well into the 30s or higher.

Yes, I know people think these things die after 100,000 miles. Except, they don't. The Prizm will probably have tripled that by Christmas. Certainly by the following summer. The Exploder isn't too far behind.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
And they way you do that is to buy 20 year old vehicles for pennies on the dollar.

How long does it take a brand new Toyota Corolla to lose $2000? How long does it take a 1998? What about a 1988? All of these are fuel injected and get mileage well into the 30s or higher.

Yes, I know people think these things die after 100,000 miles. Except, they don't. The Prizm will probably have tripled that by Christmas. Certainly by the following summer. The Exploder isn't too far behind.
I agree to an extent. The reason many people shy away from older vehicles with astronomical mileage is maintenance. Those vehicles will traditionally break more often or require more time. I personally don't have the time to own and older vehicle that gets driven daily. Many people are in the same boat, or just lack knowledge to repair the vehicle properly.

Now, for a toy, that's a different story. I am still looking for a nice, late 70's Z car.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals