• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking at a passanger car, any help?

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well thanks everyone for the huge amount of replys. Here is a little bit more info on my needs/wants. So my girl friend has a subaru outback. It runs great and has a good 100k more in it. currently has about 140 and its an 02. All highway miles from her mom. So AWD or 4wd is not needed. I cant even afford to take my truck to the mountains because its more comfortable and economical to take up her subaru. she has heated seats...

Also I am not looking for a fast car. The girlfriend and I are expecting to get married in 2 years which means kids are on the way shortly after. I am not allowed to drive like a dumb ass any more...

I plan on keeping the car for well over 10-15 years so what i would loose in depreciation i would make up in knowing how the car has been maintained, especially in the critical breakin period.

the car has to be 4 doors, 4 cyl, and a manual. Gas mileage is pretty crucial to me, and it will defenatly outweight the sportyness of the car.

like i said earlier i want to keep my truck as well, but since I wont own a house for several years i probably wont keep it. I will probably sell it for the car downpayment and after i buy a house ill pickup a used 2wd ranger that i can use for working on the house. Because no doubt my first house will be quite the fixer upper. Not to mention if you knew my gf you would know it wouldnt stay the way it was for very long. Good news is, its a great excuse to invest in tools...

I will keep on looking at some of the other comparable cars out there, but until my broken foot heals, i cant do any test drives :(

maitee1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 camry and it is nice. Still gets great gas mileage. It is a 4cyl and still has/had plenty of pep enough to impress my step-father to purchase one. Nothing major has happened to it in 8 years and 115k miles.

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well i got a kid you cant drive like an idoit with them in the car but u can when its just you
my z24 was perfect it was fuel efficient and had tones of balls and a 5 spd

One Sick Puppy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
How about a cheap little Hyundai Accent? Apparently they're pretty reliable and you could probably get a souped up one. They look like the older Honda Civic.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
I've had a Honda Accord, MANY VWs and 2 Toyotas.

Of the three, in order of preference:

1. Toyota ('95 Camry's currently gone 200k and is dead-nuts reliable. Bulletproof even when you ignore maintenance. '07 CorollaS has 12k on it and is a blast to drive.)

2. VW (fun driving, good economy, but go with a 4th-gen Jetta or Golf, the 5th gen cars are way too bloated and the Passats are too spendy, I had 2 Jettas go over 200k and 300k respectively and still get 30mpg)

3. Honda (rear suspension fell apart at 60k after being babied it's whole life)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals