• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking at a passanger car, any help?

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone,

In the next yearish I will be looking at getting a new car. I am currently looking at a Mazda 6, Nissan Altima, VW Passat, Honda Accord, & Toyota camery.

I am looking for a pretty base car, something with a 4cyl and a stick shift. I really like the looks of the passat the best but it will be on the edge of the affordable price.

So who has any reccomendations. I drove the Altima as a rental car for a week last summer and I did enjoy it. pleanty of space and it felt comfortable. the mazda & toyota were on the lower end of the power with around 156 hp. the Nissan and Honda are right around 170 and the VW is at 200 because its turbo charged. All 5 cars are almost identicle in size and weight. This will be my vehicle buying new. I plan on keeping it for 10-15 years so i want to get the most out of what i can. of course ill also have just finished college so i wont be earning that much money... For those that have financed vehicles before, what types of things should i look out for?

I am guessing I will be selling my truck for the down payment :( unfortunatly I would love to keep it as well, but I think to insure/maintain both would be to much.

thanks for your input.
keith

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now, I hope you're still going to keep your Ranger. I would look into what Mazda has to offer in terms of the Mazda3 and Mazda6 and of course there's always the Ford Focus

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Mazda 6's are for 18-22 year old college girls.
Nissan Altimas are for middle aged female teachers.
VW Passats are for asshats who only drive VWs. Did they mention how cool their VW is?
Honda Accord - late 30's couples who just ditched their minivan
Toyota Camry - for guys in their late 50s who are over their midlife crisis and now want something practical.

Your Ranger is for YOU.

I'd look at an ex cop car Crown Vic or Merc Marauder :D

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Altima's can be a blast. Anything with the 3.5 especially. I cannot say enough good about them. Remember, there will be some narrow minded folks here that you cannot convince that any car is good. And definitely not a Japanese car.

I had a 2005 Altima SE-R. Best car I ever owned.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
gotta go with the Nissan Altima, grandparents have a 98 with the I4 and it has 150,000 miles on it and regular mantience, they bought it new in 98, ironic part is my dad sold it to them when he was a car salesman, which he got out of back in 2000 and is driving truck now.
the maxium was the same way to they had a 97 maxima they bought new(dad sold it to them), had around 150,000 on it(was the top of the line model, with manual tranny) and somebody in Denver stole it, and started racing it, that car was never right after that, so the ins totaled it)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My former college roomate had a '03 Focus, he really liked it and it had some spunk to it... I would take one.

The only reason I touch a newer VW with a 10' pole is to smack it.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
VW Passats are for asshats who only drive VWs. Did they mention how cool their VW is?
Toyota Camry - for guys in their late 50s who are over their midlife crisis and now want something practical.
:rolleyes:

They're just machines. I drive the biggest POS Tempo, and I really don't give a **** about it either. :icon_thumby:

Pete

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My former college housemate drove a Festiva. We had to spank its hamster after she got pulled over for doing 75 MPH uphill, in a 50 MPH zone.

When she wasn't driving insane speeds on mountain roads, she could break 40 MPG in it.

Last edited:

Copytech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
SUBARU!!! My 08 Legacy gets 34mpg highway 24 around town, power seat, sunroof, aluminum wheels and All Wheel Drive for 20k. I also have an 04 Impreza I purchased new for 16k that now has 180k miles and has never been in the shop for anything major. :yahoo:

aogden001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got to get my 2 cents in here. How about a Hyundai ??? My 2001 Elantra has 98800 miles on it. My 2002 Ranger has 98010 miles on it. At least twice as many repair $$$$$ into the Ranger than the Hyundai. It is a ball to drive and gets around 32mpg. Would probaly be more but I flog the hell out of it.

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd go for the 6 personally. The altima's are nice but I wouldn't get one with a 4cyl. The 2.5 is the worst motor nissan has ever made. There's re-calls up the ass on those motors. I'm not saying you can't make them last, they're just not the best motor out there. Goodluck with the car search.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'd go for the 6 personally. The altima's are nice but I wouldn't get one with a 4cyl. The 2.5 is the worst motor nissan has ever made. There's re-calls up the ass on those motors. I'm not saying you can't make them last, they're just not the best motor out there. Goodluck with the car search.
What recalls? I worked for Nissan up until last year and the only engine recall effected a small number of cars. And after the fact, even 2/3 of those cars weren't actually effected. I did however see many many 2.5 liters in fleet cars with over 150k on them and no problems. Plus it's the peppiest 4 cyl out of the cars mentioned.

PS I currently work for Toyota, so I am not biased.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I would personally go with the Mazda, Honda, or Toyota (although I do hate Honda and Toyota). Most of the guys that work at the shop (including me), hate to get Nissan's and VW's. They are expencive to repair and for parts and in general, a pain in the ass to repair. I do see quite a few Honda and Toyota's coming into the shop, Most are for maintenance, and the higher mileage ones are usually the ones being repaired for worn out parts. I personally would with Mazda (Not for the fact that they are Ford owned, I drive a Chrysler myself). I see very few of them coming into the shop, and the ones I do see are either for oil changes or brakes, just maintenance items.

A friend of mine bought a 2008 Mazda 3 and she absolutely loves the thing. Another friend has a 2004 Camry and says the 4 cyl (that he has) and he saying its extremely under powered (and I believe him from the ones I've driven). Another friend drives a 2004 Accord, and has had few problems with it. I just bought a 2001 PT Cruiser (I know, its such a cool car...or not), mine is the non turbo version, and its quite nice driving, easy to see out of, lost of power options, standard, nice rims, plenty of get up and go even getting up to, and at highway speeds. It can fit 5 people, 4 people quite comfortably, and with the rear seats removed, and the passenger seat folded down, I have even more space then I did in my Rangers (excluding height). I'm quite happy with that, I picked up mine for $5500 with 155000km (roughly 95000mi).

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Your Ranger is for YOU.

I'd look at an ex cop car Crown Vic or Merc Marauder :D
dido on the crown vic! you forgot that hardcore dave matthews fans all drive altimas! all of them! out of the ones you mentioned, i would pick the mazda, my friend has one with a 3.0, a lot of fun to drive, but still girly. or you could go with an older mustang?!! or pick up an older svt focus reasonably cheap. toyotas are highly overrated!!! do not go with a toyota for their reputation! :nono:

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well depends if your talking new id go with a nissan sentra se v-spec my grandparents have one and its soooo fun lol

if your talking older i had a 89 chevy cavalier z-24 2.8L v-6 when i wasnt driving like crazy i made 30 mpg in it and it was a ballsy beast i evan took it offroading

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals