• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is there actually a speed difference between OS's?

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
You're not hearing what I am saying, those are updates to the operating system, not the browser. There are attacks from all angles. Apparently you are not aware you can be attacked without even having a browser open or anything. Well, you can. Just because firefox is updated and you have antivirus does not mean you are safe. Far from it, actually.

Let me put it this way, firefox on XP is not as safe as explorer on 7, since the operating system is out of date. I'm telling you, you're getting operating system and browser updates confused. You proved it right there with your red highlighted information. Microsoft has already left out security updates for XP that their other OS's got, stating that they do not think it's that important, and it was too much work to redesign parts of XP. Go look it up, and not from Microsoft for chrissakes.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You're not hearing what I am saying, those are updates to the operating system, not the browser. There are attacks from all angles. Apparently you are not aware you can be attacked without even having a browser open or anything. Well, you can. Just because firefox is updated and you have antivirus does not mean you are safe. Far from it, actually.

Let me put it this way, firefox on XP is not as safe as explorer on 7, since the operating system is out of date. I'm telling you, you're getting operating system and browser updates confused. You proved it right there with your red highlighted information. Microsoft has already left out security updates for XP that their other OS's got, stating that they do not think it's that important, and it was too much work to redesign parts of XP. Go look it up, and not from Microsoft for chrissakes.
Did you even go to the link? You know, the one with the info I highlighted in red? The one that I "proved myself wrong with"? Right below the quote I posted it says this does not include XP until April 8, 2014. Until you can read the information, don't come back and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. But then again, you don't think Microsoft is a credible source for their own products.

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i have all 3( xp, vista, 7)

i like xp for its simplicity

i like vista for all the handy features and cool little decorations you can have.. with the proper hardware there is no issues with speed. i've modded my services to where only essential services and programs load on startup and then start and stop as needed.

and its been covered in some article about how vista automatically cuts back on system memory use when a program demands more memory(gaming and stuff)

just got a netbook with win7 starter.. which is a huge scam btw. can't even change my desktop background or customize anything. either way win7 feels just like vista because its based on vista.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gribly, did you watch the x files too much as a kid or something?

Half the time I don't even run anti virus because I'm too lazy to install it until about 6 months after I reformat my machine and as far as updating windows, I'm still on Service Pack too, because that's what I slipstreamed into my install disc years ago and I haven't bothered to change it since, and I don't bother installing SP3 because it doesn't take any from any functionality of my computer and it's all just security bullshit for guys like you.

Yet somehow nobody has ever tried to break into my computer and all that crap, ya know why? NOBODY CARES ENOUGH! It's not like there's an army of hackers just waiting for my system to become vulnerable so they can steal the information about my empty bank account.

:icon_thumby:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
XP IS being updated, but that doesn't prevent it from being inherently weak vis-a-vie security... compared to either Vista or Win7.

As far as the "Framework" for vista being entirely different?

It's argeueable if Vista is a Win7 look-a-like built on XP framework or if it's a new framework wit vestiges of it's XP parantage (like a missing link baby born with a tail and webbed toes) but the fact of the matter is that appearance aside vista has more in common "under the skin" with XP than it does with XP.

That is why when you upgrade an exsisting Vista system to Win7 the
used space in the OS partition shrinks by >4Gb during the "upgrade" process.

Actually "being" the new thing is usually more efficient than simulating the new thing.

I greatly Liked XP, but as I said, it's getting kinda long in the tooth.

As far as the browsers?

I Just upgraded from IE8 to IE9.

So far I like it...

AD

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Did you even go to the link? You know, the one with the info I highlighted in red? The one that I "proved myself wrong with"? Right below the quote I posted it says this does not include XP until April 8, 2014. Until you can read the information, don't come back and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. But then again, you don't think Microsoft is a credible source for their own products.
Whoa, slow down. I'm not trying to insult you, but you seem damned adamant about this. Yes, I read your link the first time, and I read it again. I have said my piece, and it would behoove you to pay attention to it. If, not, I don't care, I tried.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals