• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I has an issue!!!!

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
So, I finally get back from my company trip and I go to start up my truck. And she happily started right up after sitting in the work parking lot covered in snow for 3 days.

I let the engine warm up and the idle dropped, which it has been doing this for a few weeks now. First thought it was the cat, checked that.. it seemed fine. Then decided it was the EGR, tested that and it's fine, although I still need to take the manifold off and clean that passage way.

But I went and filled her up with gas and decided to take the longer highway road home so she can run for a little bit. After slowly getting up to 4th gear (with the low idle)... then finally up to 5th gear but the idle didn't want to get high enough to run good in 5th, dropped it back down to 4th (after cussing at the %$#^#$% behind me comin up on my @$$. I have the worst road rage.) then I noticed.... semi-large (roughly about 1-3inch long) RED HOT EMBERS comin out of my tailpipe!!!! only one or two pieces came out, I saw them disapear in my rear view, so I took the next exit and went straight home.

WHAT THE HELL IS CAUSING THAT CRAP TO HAPPEN!!!!!!:shok:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Over fueling causing the catalyst to melt down and fall apart.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
How did you check the cat/muffeler. With the engine running put your hand over the tailpipe and have someone rev up the engine. If the pressure coming out dont increase with rpm you have a restriction in the exhaust system. Before you put in a cat you need to determine if the engine is burning oil (valve guides or rings) any oil getting into the cat will cook it real fast.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
So, I finally get back from my company trip and I go to start up my truck. And she happily started right up after sitting in the work parking lot covered in snow for 3 days.

I let the engine warm up and the idle dropped, which it has been doing this for a few weeks now. First thought it was the cat, checked that.. it seemed fine. Then decided it was the EGR, tested that and it's fine, although I still need to take the manifold off and clean that passage way.

But I went and filled her up with gas and decided to take the longer highway road home so she can run for a little bit. After slowly getting up to 4th gear (with the low idle)... then finally up to 5th gear but the idle didn't want to get high enough to run good in 5th, dropped it back down to 4th (after cussing at the %$#^#$% behind me comin up on my @$$. I have the worst road rage.) then I noticed.... semi-large (roughly about 1-3inch long) RED HOT EMBERS comin out of my tailpipe!!!! only one or two pieces came out, I saw them disapear in my rear view, so I took the next exit and went straight home.

WHAT THE HELL IS CAUSING THAT CRAP TO HAPPEN!!!!!!:shok:

Well, the engine is getting more fuel than your ingnition system can light causing raw fuel to be dumped into the exhaust. I would suggest you have a mechanic check for fuel injectors staying open, if that is not the problem have an analysis done on your ignition system to check primarily your spark. If you cannot do this yourself....please....make sure you get your vehicle checked as soon as possible, this is extremly dangerous.

Be safe and stop that road rage...it will just cause you to get ulsers....lool

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
semi-large (roughly about 1-3inch long) RED HOT EMBERS comin out of my tailpipe!!!!
That would be over-heated chunks of catalytic converter blowing out the tail pipe.

Take the cat out and check it out. If you can see from either end that it is visibly melted down (meaning that it is destroyed anyway) punch it out, put the shell back in and run it up the road. If it is better get your fuel delivery issues figured out and fixed, then get a new converter in there.

If it isn't melted down, put it back in and take the muffler off, run it with no muffler or tail pipe and see how she is.

Also, I have to address your use the word "idle" (and get my head taken off I'm sure).

"Idle" is the term that refers to the engine running the the trans in neutral and no throttle input from the driver. I count several places where you use "idle" but the context indicates that you were trying to drive, and thus the engine was not "idling".

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Engines can idle in gear or park as well.

Richard

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Engines can idle in gear or park as well.

Richard
My grammar points were related primary to her truck. She has a stick. Show me a manual transmission (I will not accept the Saab that had a sprag clutch) idle in gear and I will concede the point for this case.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As relating to specific truck....OK

Richard

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My grammar points were related primary to her truck. She has a stick. Show me a manual transmission (I will not accept the Saab that had a sprag clutch) idle in gear and I will concede the point for this case.
Case-O-Matic

Manually controled torque converter in front of a 8/2 speed manual geardrive transmission.

Moot I know because it is completley different than a M5OD.

I am going to guess "idle" meant it couldn't raise the RPM... like it always seemed to be trying to idle, which is consistant with a really plugged exhaust.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Cat: Lima looked under my truck and shook the cat and nothing rattled in it. so we moved on to the next thing.
Fuel: I always fill my tank up all the way (and hardly ever let it get bellow a quarter tank) I put 11 gallons in last night on top of the quarter tank that was in there already.
Idle: I didn't know. I was under the understanding that Idle was rpm, obviously my lingo is all backwards (I have a habbit of using the wrong vocabulary, my mom blames it and my horrible spelling on phonix.)

My Idle dropps while running in nutral when the engine gets hot, the RPMs stay low while in gear. happy?

Have not looked under or got in nor started truck today. Been two busy with errands with my stepdad (we coach Alaska native games at a middle school and had to lots of stupid paper work.)

I will text Lima and try to get over to his shop after both my jobs tomorrow and run though the things you guys suggested.

I'll update after. thanx.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Oh, yea...Palin carries....Rabies!!! lol

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:
Btw... palin is a ****ing DUMB @$$ RETARD!! She's not even a real alaskan! her tv show is a #$%^#$% JOKE! people don't do that #$%# in Alaska, not unles you have your own plane or you're a rich MOFO!

I would like to pass a law were Palin is not allowed in Ak anymore! lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When the cat is fed a constant diet of too much fuel, the ceramic guts get hot and collapse, filling in the holes the exhaust normally goes through. The engine is forcing air through the thing, you must have had some extra hot stuff around one of the holes the engine was able to keep open and blow it out the exhaust.

Btw... palin is a ****ing DUMB @$$ RETARD!! She's not even a real alaskan! her tv show is a #$%^#$% JOKE! people don't do that #$%# in Alaska, not unles you have your own plane or you're a rich MOFO!
It was on tv so it has to be real :D

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
over fuelling relates not to how much gas you actually put in the tank, but how much is being dumped into the cylinder by the FI system...maybe you have too much fuel pressure...like high blood pressure...only your fuel lines are steel and they don't quite pop as easily as a blood vessel...

you are either not getting good spark at the cylinder or there is too much fuel...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals