• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Holy Cripes

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You all got it tough... all I can say is take up reloading.

My "issue" of the day is I went out to buy a 4lb cannister
of Alliant Unique and came home empty handed.

what will really boil your grey matter is that I have loading
components to use up ALL of a 4lb cannister of propellant
only using it 5.4grains at a time
(to the uniniated there are 7000grains in a pound)

I was going to load 38special, 40S&W and 9mm.

I haven't shot a single round of factory ammo since the mid '90's

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
that's why I'm not buying ammo.... I'm reloading and I buy everything I use when I see it! doesn't matter if I already have 4 pounds of powder; I'll just skip lunch for a few days to get a pound of powder lol
You and me both.

The only thing I'm short of to sit down and load 5000 rounds
of 40S&W is a 4lb cannister of Unique.

And the fact that I cannot find the 40S&W/10mm auto shell plate
for my Dillon RL550:)

I've been looking for it long enough that I'm about to just buy another one.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You all got it tough... all I can say is take up reloading.
I hear you, but you can't even find the brass these days.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I haven't been checking any of the places around here lately but I've been talking to a LOT of people that have told me that places are wiped out. A local LEO I know said that he went to Wal-mart the one day to see about getting some extra ammo and was told that although they got a truck in with an entire skid of ammo, it was sold as soon as they got it off the truck. They said a guy was in there watching and when he saw it come in he walked over, took one look, and told them he'd take the whole skid.

.22 ammo locally is going for $50 a brick, if you can find it.

Talked to a local sporting goods shop because I noticed that they weren't doing any real business. Found out that not only had their stock been wiped out, but they can't get anything to replace it with, their supplier doesn't have anything in stock anymore. No loaded ammo in any of the common calibers, no brass, no bullets, no powder, no primers, no reloading dies, no bullet molds, no magazines, no clips, no guns. Nada. They said they have some standing orders from some customers and they check daily to try to catch when some things hit their distributor's shelves. Both of us suspect that the distributor is letting the big dealers get first crack at anything that comes in though.

It's getting ugly out there.... hopefully it'll be like the last panic run and after awhile it'll go back to normal and the supply will return.

I've heard that one of the reasons why ammo has been short is that the manufacturers can't get enough lead. Of course, it doesn't help that FEMA and Homeland Security have been buying ammo a couple million rounds at a time. Not to sound like an alarmist or anything, but....

I wish I would have been able to predict this all, I would have taken out a loan and bought a ton of stuff back a few years ago when it was cheap and plentiful. Locally, Saga shotguns have more than doubled in price from where they were just a few years ago, AKs and AR rifles have gone through the roof. I heard of one local gunshop that had a whole basement full of AR rifles and were selling them online for $2,500 each. For guns that originally sold for $800 each. Hell of a profit margin there....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was at Cabelas over the weekend, they said everything they have is on the shelves.

They had one shelf pretty much the whole length of the ammo section JUST 7.62x54R and then they had an endcap of Herters 7.62x54R. It looked as though they were using it as filler to not look as short as they are.

The rest is VERY thin. The non-AW calibers had been thin/picked over but you can tell their supply is drying up too.

A guy behind the counter said they had a freeze on buying more firearms pending what the govt is going to do. They cannot order anything and transfers between stores are froze until things straighten out.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks to the US craziness, PMAGS are impossible to find in Canada, unless it's private sellers trying to(and some are) sell them for $40+ each!
AR15s and parts are scarce.
All ammo including .22lr is rare depending on your location, from the reports I heard.
Local to me, everything is fine.

Only up side is china can still sell their stuff here, so if you're ok with commie ammo/rifles, there's lots of it. Plus all the european surplus 7.62x39mm and 7.62x25mm isn't affected either.

Last edited:

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I know im a little late to this thread but, my younger brother works at the academy distribution warehouse here in Georgia. He said that they supply like 150 academy's and as soon as they unload it off the truck, its the first thing that gets shipped out. He told me that they usually stock the shelf's with ammo on Sunday's. I dont know if that apply's to all the academy's but it does here. Might be something for you fellas to check out if your looking for something in particular.

Academy is still getting ammo but its being bought as fast as they get it in.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whoot - scored another couple of boxes of .243's.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
nm spoke too soon

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals