• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hi im having a no crank no start issue with my 2004 2.3 5 speed manual

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Remove all that remote start viper BS! Put it all back to factory... alot of installers use those piggy back wire connectors which should be outlawed!!!!
Then you might have to get it to a shop or a mobile lock Smith to re sync key .
Those things cause so many problems and just to be able to crank your car from in the house or 10 feet away! Lol its nonsense!!

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L 16 Valve Duratec Engine
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
How did you change the PCM? Does your truck have an HEC instrument cluster (odometer would be digital)?
And I purchased it from flagship 1 it was supposed to be plug and play with two new keys

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The HEC instrument cluster is married to the PCM, the truck will not start unless they are coded together. They should have mentioned this before you bought it. It's an odometer fraud thing that started in 2004. I would contact them about it because unless you also sent them the cluster to be paired there's no way the new PCM will work without towing the truck to a dealership to have it paired.

There simply is no such thing as "plug and play" with an HEC cluster truck.

Last edited:

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
The HEC instrument cluster is married to the PCM, the truck will not start unless they are coded together. They should have mentioned this before you bought it. It's an odometer fraud thing that started in 2004. I would contact them about it because unless you also sent them the cluster to be paired there's no way the new PCM will work without towing the truck to a dealership to have it paired.

There simply is no such thing as "plug and play" with an HEC cluster truck.
Okay what will I need to do then to get them paired

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Okay what will I need to do then to get them paired
Not only that but still doing the same thing the OBD2 won't link to the PCM and it doesn't crank or try to start at all with or without the old PCM so what's up with that?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I would return the new PCM you bought since there's no evidence the PCM was actually bad. Getting a PCM paired to an HEC cluster can be a headache, the dealer can do it but at that point you might as well just bring the truck in for them to diagnose the problem instead of paying them install parts that may not even be the problem. They are gonna charge you no matter what, might as well get charged to find out what's really wrong. There is no way to pair the HEC cluster yourself.

I wish I could help more but only so much you can do over the internet. I'm at a loss to what is wrong but I still think it's something with that aftermarket alarm and remote start crap unless you already yanked all that and put it back together right.

Last edited:

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
I would return the new PCM you bought since there's no evidence the PCM was actually bad. Getting a PCM paired to an HEC cluster can be a headache, the dealer can do it but at that point you might as well just bring the truck in for them to diagnose the problem instead of paying them install parts that may not even be the problem. They are gonna charge you no matter what, might as well get charged to find out what's really wrong. There is no way to pair the HEC cluster yourself.

I wish I could help more but only so much you can do over the internet. I'm at a loss to what is wrong but I still think it's something with that aftermarket alarm and remote start crap unless you already yanked all that and put it back together right.
Yeah I pulled everything out resoldered the wires you're still two wires I have to reconnect for the clutch safety switch and if need be find a plug from the junkyard for the inertia switch to rewire it up right now the wires are soldered together I don't know if that would matter if not I might just leave it but the thing that's got me stumped is why the OBD2 port has power to my reader and it red codes before this happened on the same truck but now it Powers up and acts like I never turn the ignition on and from what I've read online the pats system won't prevent the reader from being able to read codes and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it or figure out what the problem is I did just add to a battery terminal gauge grounds from the motor to the frame and from the motor to the body I don't know if it will help fingers crossed if anyone has any idea of what could be going on with the OBD2 or what I can do to try and get it to work other than the fuse please let me know

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Is there anything besides the fuse or pcm being bad that would cause the obd2 port to have power to the scanner but not link to the PCM? Or a way to troubleshoot this? Because im at a loss atm

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the Check engine light(CEL) come on with Key on, that means PCM has powered up?

Does the THEFT light come on with Key on and then go off or flash, that means PATS module has booted up

2004 was first year for the CAN Bus network

Did your current OBD2 reader ever connect to this vehicle's PCM?

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Does the Check engine light(CEL) come on with Key on, that means PCM has powered up?

Does the THEFT light come on with Key on and then go off or flash, that means PATS module has booted up

2004 was first year for the CAN Bus network

Did your current OBD2 reader ever connect to this vehicle's PCM?
This is what it does can anybody tell me what code is throwing I have a very short attention span and I don't know if I'm rereading the same code over and over or when it actually stops and restarts lol. And yes Ron the scanner did connect before all this happend. any ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What is "what it does"?????

Google: 1999-2003 Ford F-150 THEFT light decoding

Watch the video

Shows what flashing code 16 looks like, codes are 11 to 16, get yours

THEFT light can "say" theft, or may look like a Padlock icon, same thing, count the flashes AFTER the pause, LEAVE KEY ON until you get the code, then you can shut key off

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
This is what it does can anybody tell me what code is throwing I have a very short attention span and I don't know if I'm rereading the same code over and over or when it actually stops and restarts lol. And yes Ron the scanner did connect before all this happend. any ideas?
Oh and just realized that it can't upload MP4 video anyway I'll be able to get that on here so you can see what it's doing?
What is "what it does"?????

Google: 1999-2003 Ford F-150 THEFT light decoding

Watch the video

Shows what flashing code 16 looks like, codes are 11 to 16, get yours

THEFT light can "say" theft, or may look like a Padlock icon, same thing, count the flashes AFTER the pause, LEAVE KEY ON until you get the code, then you can shut key off

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Yeah I've watched the video a few times but still not sure I'm counting the flashes right I recorded video from key off to key on, to show what it does but it's MP4 format it won't let me upload it on here

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals