• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hi im having a no crank no start issue with my 2004 2.3 5 speed manual

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L 16 Valve Duratec Engine
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
One is the PATS bypass module for an aftermarket remote start system. The other is an alarm module.

Aint it fun to deal with other people's crappy aftermarket wiring nonsense...
Not at all most of it seems wired up okay but there are a few questionable situations

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Ok so if I already had a pass bypass module what would be keeping my truck from starting now is there like a reset button for the module?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ok so if I already had a pass bypass module what would be keeping my truck from starting now is there like a reset button for the module?
It doesn't bypass the system entirely. It just bypasses it during remote starting since there would obviously be no key present when you remote start. The bypass module just sends a fake key signal when you hit start on your remote. The system still requires a proper key once you get in.

But these modules do fail and send a bad signal to the computer so the pats system is thinking someone is stealing the truck and doesn't allow it to crank or turn on the injectors. When you just the solenoid you are bypassing that part of the system by sending direct power to the starter but the injectors are still off and there's no way to bypass that.

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
It doesn't bypass the system entirely. It just bypasses it during remote starting since there would obviously be no key present when you remote start. The bypass module just sends a fake key signal when you hit start on your remote. The system still requires a proper key once you get in.

But these modules do fail and send a bad signal to the computer so the pats system is thinking someone is stealing the truck and doesn't allow it to crank or turn on the injectors. When you just the solenoid you are bypassing that part of the system by sending direct power to the starter but the injectors are still off and there's no way to bypass that.
All right if you were me how would you go about it from here would you take them both out? And try to fix the mess they made underneath the dash or go to the junkyard and try to find a 05 PCM and HEC?

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
I'm also confused on how it was running fine and now using the same key it won't even try to start?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm also confused on how it was running fine and now using the same key it won't even try to start?
That's pretty much how all electrical/electronic things work, one day it works and the next day it doesn't, so don't be confused
A light bulb works until it doesn't, no warning
A mechanical system "might" start to make a noise ahead of time, so a bit of warning, but not always, sometimes they just "blowup", lol

You need to get the installation manuals for BOTH units if you want to remove them, because they WILL have to have been hooked to the Ranger wiring harness to work, to intercept signals and by-pass or re-route them
You will need to repair/reconnect any of those interfaces

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Ok thanks everyone for the info does anyone happen to know how to read the two digit code I'm a little confused on what RonD meant by that it just looks like it keeps flashing to me but I'm probably missing something

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Google: 1999-2003 Ford F-150 THEFT light decoding video

Watch the video, it shows what code should look like, i.e. the 1 flash, pause, then 1 to 6 flashes, longer pause, repeat

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The battery was dead for a while, right? So no power to the ECU for long enough for it to lose programming. Only vehicle I've had with PATS that I've replaced the battery on, the dealer did it (but they only had one of my three keys), so I don't know if they had to reprogram keys.

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Alright guys ill try to get that done asap but its my birthday @ midnight so im gonna try and go have some fun.... Getting my truck running would of been enough for me but looks like ive got a whole bunch of electrical and reading to do thanks for the help ill update when im done so.. fingers crossed 🤞🤞

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Alright guys ill try to get that done asap but its my birthday @ midnight so im gonna try and go have some fun.... Getting my truck running would of been enough for me but looks like ive got a whole bunch of electrical and reading to do thanks for the help ill update when im done so.. fingers crossed 🤞🤞
Happy Birthday!!

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hope you can use this

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Well ive unhooked and made sure all wiring is where it should be and replaced the ignition switch the ignition lock cylinder and the PCM none of which changed anything except for now I have four keys anyone got any other ideas

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
How did you change the PCM? Does your truck have an HEC instrument cluster (odometer would be digital)?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals