• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hi im having a no crank no start issue with my 2004 2.3 5 speed manual

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L 16 Valve Duratec Engine
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
ive replaced the transmission, clutch safety switch and battery checked all fuses and relays, has all lights inside and out, power to both 12v power points and power to the obd2 port but when i scan it fail to link with the vehicle and the pats light flashes which is normal but continues to flash when ignition is in the on position which i down remember it doing before , i also dont think the fuel pump is turning on which was replaced about 6 months ago along with the fuel filter, i can get the start to crank if i cross the solenoid but never fires up been trying to figure this out going on 2 months someone please help!

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Also forgot to add that previous owner done a bypass/delete to the fuel inertia switch.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Will it crank when you turn the key (without crossing the solenoid)?

It sounds like one of four things:
  1. Bad connection on the bypass of the inertia switch
  2. PATS problem (using a key that doesn't have a chip or the truck has not been programmed for).
  3. Clutch switch. If you don't step on the clutch, the engine won't turn over. If the switch is bad, it doesn't signal that the clutch has been stepped on.
  4. You aren't stepping on the clutch when you try to start the truck.

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Will it crank when you turn the key (without crossing the solenoid)?

It sounds like one of four things:
  1. Bad connection on the bypass of the inertia switch
  2. PATS problem (using a key that doesn't have a chip or the truck has not been programmed for).
  3. Clutch switch. If you don't step on the clutch, the engine won't turn over. If the switch is bad, it doesn't signal that the clutch has been stepped on.
  4. You aren't stepping on the clutch when you try to start the truck.
-Wont crank unless i cross the solenoid.
- previous ower deleted the inertia switch.
- replaced the clutch safety switch.
-Yes im stepping on the clutch.
Ive got new/used transmission.
-replaced the battery.
-checked all connections, fuses, and relays.
When i turn the key to the on position the pats system light stays blinking but all other electronics work including exterior lights and power points/lighter ports, but i dont think the fuel pump is priming i cant hear it kick on then off and was just replaced 8 months ago along with a new fuel filter.
- swapped rear axles from 7.5 open def 3.75 ratio to 8.8 limited slip def 4.10 all was fine until transmission broke going on a month ago and was replaced 2 weeks ago but needed to still work on it while it was down, replaced clutch master cylinder, clutch safety switch, but got the transmission in and the battery was dead do to setting and not being able to start for so long plus could have been a damaged or bad so was replaced but still nothing and yes its the same key that had started it since i bought it last June. Any ideas or questions to help figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

Ive also read alot of other fourms and seems like it could be pats system or bad PCM. otherthing Also read that a 2002 ranger had PATS and PCM as 1 unit. Anyone know if 2004 is the same way?

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
P. S. It also has a Viper box and OMEGA Box in the dash under the steering column not sure why but other then consumable parts needing replaced truck has ran great .
Has a valve gasket leak but wouldn't think it would cause this and have a new one gonna try to get it done asap but i only own one vehicle and have almost rebuilt it since i got it mostly just light upgrades and suspension work and tuneups

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
PATS would still be part of the ECU, yes. Your battery was dead for a while? PATS disables the fuel pump if the ECU doesn't detect the right key. I'll let somebody like @adsm08 tell you how to program the key yourself, or you can take the truck (have to have it towed, unfortunately) to the dealer. He'll also be able to tell you whether or not PATS disables the starter.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
PATS(passive anti-theft system) does disable starter AND fuel injectors, also fuel pump
The fuel injectors are the BIG DEAL, there is no work around or by-pass for that, you are dead in the water

Flashing Theft light on the dash means PATS is preventing the start up, for sure

Turn on the key and wait, in 45-60seconds the theft light will start to flash a 2 digit code, 11 to 16

11 Transceiver [transponder coil] not connected, or there is no power to it.
12 Transceiver internal fault.
13 No Key/no PATS key has been used to turn the ignition switch.
14 Incomplete key code received.
15 Invalid key code received.
16 CAN communications error.

Transceiver fault is most common
Transceiver is the ANTENNA round the ignition key slot, it read the PATS key number, fairly easy to replace

Get the CODE first and then go from there

If you don't have a spare PATS key to try(you should ALWAYS have a spare PATS key) then a Mobile Locksmith with Ford software can come to you and cut new key(s) and add them to your PATS with their laptop computer

IF.............you have a code reader that can read "B" Codes, body codes, then these codes are a bit more specific that the 11 to 16

B1213 Less than 2 (or 3 if equipped w/Valet key) keys programmed to the system.
B1232/B2103 Transceiver internal antenna damaged. Replace transceiver.
B1342 ECU is defective (EEPROM in PCM is not working — replace PCM). PATS related when stored in PCM only.
B1600 Non-PATS Key or damaged key.
B1601 Unprogrammed encoded ignition key detected (leave ignition on for 20 seconds before trying a programmed key, in Anti-Scan Mode).
B1602 Partial detection of encoded ignition key.
B1681 Transceiver signal not detected.
B2141 Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) configuration failure — No PCM ID stored in PATS.
B2139/U2510 PCM ID does not match between the PCM and PATS control(PATS/ICM/VIC/HEC/SCIL).
B2431 Key program failure (defective key or transceiver).

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Anyone know if i could swap the PCM from an 05 to my 2004 with the same engine? Cause ive read a lot that it doesnt have the PATS on the 05 and the 04's PCM and PATs are one unit?

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
PATS(passive anti-theft system) does disable starter AND fuel injectors, also fuel pump
The fuel injectors are the BIG DEAL, there is no work around or by-pass for that, you are dead in the water

Flashing Theft light on the dash means PATS is preventing the start up, for sure

Turn on the key and wait, in 45-60seconds the theft light will start to flash a 2 digit code, 11 to 16

11 Transceiver [transponder coil] not connected, or there is no power to it.
12 Transceiver internal fault.
13 No Key/no PATS key has been used to turn the ignition switch.
14 Incomplete key code received.
15 Invalid key code received.
16 CAN communications error.

Transceiver fault is most common
Transceiver is the ANTENNA round the ignition key slot, it read the PATS key number, fairly easy to replace

Get the CODE first and then go from there

If you don't have a spare PATS key to try(you should ALWAYS have a spare PATS key) then a Mobile Locksmith with Ford software can come to you and cut new key(s) and add them to your PATS with their laptop computer

IF.............you have a code reader that can read "B" Codes, body codes, then these codes are a bit more specific that the 11 to 16

B1213 Less than 2 (or 3 if equipped w/Valet key) keys programmed to the system.
B1232/B2103 Transceiver internal antenna damaged. Replace transceiver.
B1342 ECU is defective (EEPROM in PCM is not working — replace PCM). PATS related when stored in PCM only.
B1600 Non-PATS Key or damaged key.
B1601 Unprogrammed encoded ignition key detected (leave ignition on for 20 seconds before trying a programmed key, in Anti-Scan Mode).
B1602 Partial detection of encoded ignition key.
B1681 Transceiver signal not detected.
B2141 Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) configuration failure — No PCM ID stored in PATS.
B2139/U2510 PCM ID does not match between the PCM and PATS control(PATS/ICM/VIC/HEC/SCIL).
B2431 Key program failure (defective key or transceiver).
Ok RonD ill go check that now

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 2005 Rangers didn't have PATS test

No, you can't swap 2005 PCM into 2004, or any other year to by-pass PATS, because PATS is a separate module in 2004 and up, its in the instrument cluster(HEC)
You could swap both the PCM AND HEC from the same 2005 into the 2004, that should work, should being operative word

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Yes, 2005 Rangers didn't have PATS test

No, you can't swap 2005 PCM into 2004, or any other year to by-pass PATS, because PATS is a separate module in 2004 and up, its in the instrument cluster(HEC)
You could swap both the PCM AND HEC from the same 2005 into the 2004, that should work, should being operative word

All right well that would be ideal to get rid of pats I'm not worried about somebody stealing my truck anyway got a 9 mm high speed connection for that lol I'm not sure on how to read the flashes from the pats system to me it just looks like it keeps blinking on and on and on and I used a multimeter to check the actual plug for the fuel pump and I had power to the yellow wire but not any of the other three even when turning the key on is that normal?

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15

I also found these two boxes under the dash pretty sure I know one of them is probably not factory I think it's either a remote start keyless entry or both which is dumb because it has manual locks and windows which is also weird for an XLT unless you special order but the other I'm not sure or what it even does?? Also found At least one wire that was not hooked up to the clutch safety switch, But it about had to be like that the whole time I've had the truck it looks like it's been snipped like a delete or bypass will be able to know for sure once I can find a detailed wiring diagram for the clutch safety switch and will the transmission sensors have anything to do with it since I change transmission should I put the old ones back in?

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
One is the PATS bypass module for an aftermarket remote start system. The other is an alarm module.

Aint it fun to deal with other people's crappy aftermarket wiring nonsense...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
At the gas tank
Yellow/white wire is for fuel gauge and will have 12v with key on, no amps just volts
Pink/black wire is 12v for fuel pump
Other two wires are grounds

Pink/black won't have voltage if PATS is active

Yes neither one of those components is factory

Google: Omega IB-F3

I am betting thats your issue, someone was already by-passing PATS

And just to confirm, the THEFT light is in the cluster not an added light for the separate alarm systems

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Yes the theft light in the instrument cluster with the speedometer and tachometer is flashing but so is the other box

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals