• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

heres my link setup

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice rig RUTH. windows missing, when are you gonna chop it :D
well, i have lived in Washington all my life up until about two weeks ago, now im in Nevada, close to moonrocks, and about 3 hrs from the rubicon/lake tahoe, im super excited to be in nice warm weather and not worry about alot of rain during "summer" anyhoot... i always swore id never cut it up, but im leaning towards doin it, under one condition, re-do the internal cage to stretch to the very back, and put a back seat back in it and have some sorta vinyl cover for it??? i dont know though... first i want a dana 60 for the front installed...

something like this.. sry photobucket wouldn't upload for me

http://www.myspace.com/53988689/photos/44138954

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a good place to live with all of that near by wheelin.
It might be more sheet metal than you plan on removing but i've always liked black sheep's BII chop.

Are you blowing up alot of 44 parts, what size tread ya running 39's?

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
o yes, i have watched that thing be built for quite sometime, and thats real close to what i would want to do, but id have to keep the rear quarters and fenders....

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you blowing up alot of 44 parts, what size tread ya running 39's?
oops... im runnin 42"tsl's and knowing that the 44 is a weaker front end for that size tire, im kind of easy on it, the gears really help though, dont have to hit things hard, can just kind of crawl...thats prolly why i havnt flopped it yet.. lol i cant afford to break anything right now, plus id rather just baby it, and save the money up to build a 60, verses spending a bunch on repair costs..

what are you runnin? i know ive seen your name but unfamiliar with ur rig

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hitting things hard is what Im trying to get away from. Pretty much have to smash my way through bigger obstacles right now.

Ive got a mildly built extended cab 2.9l ranger 6" lift lockers etc

its heading this direction doubler, kp d60, 14 bolt, 42s, hydro> I already have most of the parts and recently picked up a nice capable MIG, I just need to start assembly

also got this if I ever finish the motor swap, your BII is motivation to build it up instead

I was curious What's your rear suspension setup and how do you like it?
What engine/gears do you run? I was thinking of going 5.38s
Your links looks like some kind of long arm jeep setup. Is it all custom built?

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was curious What's your rear suspension setup and how do you like it?
What engine/gears do you run? I was thinking of going 5.38s
Your links looks like some kind of long arm jeep setup. Is it all custom built?
yeah that ranger is top notch... for my rear suspension im just running the stock leafs with a block for now, my plans are to either put chevy 63's in the rear and stretch the wheel base when i put my doubler in, dont want to make the driveline shorter, or if i have the money link it up. i just did the 4.o swap out of a 93 explorer, i love it, lot more torque, and yep, same here 538's locked up in the rear, open in front :( , and lastly, the links are all custom, they are 40"long and i used ballistic fab johnie joints, wild horse early bronco 5.5 lift progressive coils, everything works awesome i think... check out this pic with out the limiting straps on yet, you can see the breakline was just starting to get tight.. :)

o and i have a jeep style setup so the coil will drop out some but always line back uo to the coil bucket

fordtrucknut77

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what are you running for shocks and shock mounts front and rear? i am doing the same basic set up on my ranger (left the top of the coils un hooked)
i am getting ready to swap over to full widths and 38s and yours is making me have more faith in mine :)

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what are you running for shocks and shock mounts front and rear? i am doing the same basic set up on my ranger (left the top of the coils un hooked)
i am getting ready to swap over to full widths and 38s and yours is making me have more faith in mine :)
thats awesome glad i can inspire a build... for the rear shocks i just did a traditional angled setup, sorry no pix, and for the front, i dont have a good pic of that either, but i built a temp bracket, untill i get a tubing bender set back up, i had one at my old work, not their anymore, i bought the pro tools 105 but i need to save up for a die lol ... so i never took pics, but i want to do a shock hoop, and then fab up a small bracket on the axle tube to bolt it too, thought about ordering the trai gear shock hoops like all the toyota guys do, but id rather put the money into shop tools for now. :icon_welder:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
in what did the 44 come as a high pinion? nothing i bet. i wish my 44 was a high pinion
This made me laugh.

78-79 are HP but have cast wedges (what I have). The same thing that makes them good also makes them bad. The cast wedges make it easy for narrowing the housing, and the radius arm setup is easy to swap in; but if you want a link suspension you can't cut the wedges off, so you're stuck with radius arms. Yes you can weld to the wedges or make link mounts that mount to the wedges, but shit starts to get hack pretty quick.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
don't worry bray i need a passenger side diff anyway..............

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what side drop is a 2.5 ton rock well???:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: lol

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't worry bray i need a passenger side diff anyway..............
Then you may be SOL my friend haha. Here's some good D44 info (in case you haven't come across it already)

Mr. N's D44 Bible

what side drop is a 2.5 ton rock well???:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: lol
As long as you can lift that huge pig out of the top loader, any way you want it.

Isn't there a front loader 2.5T rock as well?

I can't tell if you guys are being serious or if you're fawkin with me :thefinger:

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im just fawkin with you :headbang::icon_rofl:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
whats up ruth. bout time you made it here.

i read up on your build quite a bit on b2.org.

might be a silly question, but why can't a guy with a dana crappy build arms like you did. seems like it would be easier to fab up.

just make sure the front end is in place, take X measurement for the bottom tube, tack it, put it in place, then add a second tube from the top of the axle housing and bring it back as far as i can without getting in the way.

thoughts?

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
whats up ruth. bout time you made it here.

i read up on your build quite a bit on b2.org.

might be a silly question, but why can't a guy with a dana crappy build arms like you did. seems like it would be easier to fab up.

just make sure the front end is in place, take X measurement for the bottom tube, tack it, put it in place, then add a second tube from the top of the axle housing and bring it back as far as i can without getting in the way.

thoughts?
:icon_thumby: you got it, ive got a dana crappy for now, and thats basically what i did, i wanted my mounting point for the rear of my links to be the same piont of where my tranfercase/driveline mate up so i built a whole new crossmember, then located the axle about 11" forward lol and took measurments. then i set my axle knuckels at about 6 degrees if i remember right, and yeah tacked it up realy good and test drove it lol, smooth surface of course nothing to fast, but it worked well so i welded it up solid.. hope i helped some??

how do you like that bored 2.9??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals