• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford 8.8 with 9" brakes

snab07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0l swap finally done!!
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone ever come across a ford 8.8 axle with 9" brakes and outer bearings and seals from a7.5"? My axle seems to be one of these. My axle came from a Mazda b4000 but I'm unsure of the year. My truck is a 96. The axle tag and a visual inspection of the axle confirm that the center section is an 8.8 but it has 9" brakes and the beatings and seals are from a 7.5 any thoughts?:icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 28 spline 8.8 shares outer bearings, seals, and axle shaft diameter with the 7.5.

As for the 9" brakes, since so much of the wheel end is already the same it is possible they were swapped in a tight spot because the PO had the parts laying around.

It's also possible, if you are going solely by visual ID that you have misidentified your brakes. Finned drums is 9", smooth drums is 10", but some Aerostars had finned 10" drums.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ADSM couldn't the 9" drums be stock as well. I thought the 10" was an option on the 8.8 and also part of the towing upgrade package.

snab07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0l swap finally done!!
Transmission
Automatic
As far as the 28 spline 8.8 and 7.5 sharing outer bearings and seals I don't think that's right because that's how stumbled on this situation to begin with. The bearings and seals are different part numbers and the ones for the 8.8 are physically bigger and wouldn't fit in my axle tube. I ended up going with everything for a 7.5 but the center section is definitely an 8.8 and the brakes are the finned 9 inch drums. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before because I've never even read about it happening

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As far as the 28 spline 8.8 and 7.5 sharing outer bearings and seals I don't think that's right because that's how stumbled on this situation to begin with. The bearings and seals are different part numbers and the ones for the 8.8 are physically bigger and wouldn't fit in my axle tube. I ended up going with everything for a 7.5 but the center section is definitely an 8.8 and the brakes are the finned 9 inch drums. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before because I've never even read about it happening
Sorry, but it is right. The only bearings and seals that the 8.8 ever came with were the smaller 28 spline components that it shares with the 7.5" axle, and the larger 31 spline components. If the initial parts you were sold were for an 8.8" and they were too big, then they were for the 31 spline 8.8".

Both the 7.5" and the 8.8" axles could come equipped with 9" drums or 10" drums from the factory depending on how the truck was equipped.

snab07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0l swap finally done!!
Transmission
Automatic
That makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've personally never seen a 4.0 engine/8.8" axle equipped Ranger that did not have the 10" drums as factory equipment.

There WERE 8.8" RANGER axles made with the 31-spline outers, these were the factlry bits on the relatively Rare FX4-Level2 trucks.

These also have fatter axle tubes..

Personally I would not waste time searching for one of these "Level2 "axle assemblies as they are relatively rare which in turn makes them harder to find parts (replacement axle shafts) for them.

As a note if you go to most chain auto parts stores they will try to sell you outer bearings and seals for the 31-spline axles because their parts books (and computers) have been WRONG for decades (literally)

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What actually determines the size of rear break is the truck weight rating. Under 4580 lbs got the 9".
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals