• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear drum break upgrade to disc brake

Am88rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello everyone so I just purchased a rear disc break conversion kit for my 1988 ranger XLT 2.9 liter. The kit is from SSBC KIT # A114 and the instructions they give are not very helpful the diagram they sent is not the best quality so it's difficult to make out the details of the parts is there any one that has purchased the same kit and completed the installation please let me know what the process was for you

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Based on pictures of the kit on SSBC website, it looks like they just packaged the mustang rear disc conversion. If that is correct, this might help:

Am88rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So would I have to use the driver's side flipped over on the passenger side and vise versa

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have no idea. I've never used the kit you are talking about or done the Mustang brake swap. The components look similar, so I was hoping those pictures might be able to help you make better sense out of what you were given with the kit. They aren't exactly the same though. For one I highly doubt that SSBC intended for you to have to cut the caliper brackets to install the kit and those pieces are shaped different.

In the link I posted, cutting and flipping the bracket is being done because it is being bolted to the inside of that axle flange. I imagine that was needed to align the caliper to the rotor using the OEM bracket. The kit you have was most likely intended to bolt to the outside of the flange and has the needed offset built into the bracket. More like the "North Racecars Bracket" section at the bottom of that page.

Last edited:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can mount the bracket to put the caliper in front of, or behind the axle. Depending on which you choose, you need the opposite caliper - you mount the caliper with the bleed port at the top in any case. If you ask 10 people, you will get roughly 5-5 about whether the caliper should be ahead of or behind the axle. If mounted behind, applying the brakes reduces the load on the outer axle bearing, and if mounted ahead, it increases the load on the axle bearing. One would think that reducing the loading would be the obvious answer, but its not necessarily the case - if you brake at the right loading, you take all the load off the axle bearing and that can cause chatter with the small clearance that is in the bearing and reduce bearing life. On the other hand, increasing the load on the bearing is an issue if the total loading can overload the bearing. So, pick your poison there is really not a "wrong" answer.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can mount the bracket to put the caliper in front of, or behind the axle.
Just to clarify, when I was talking about in front or behind and inboard or outboard I was talking about the flange in this picture.

I was not talking about if the caliper should be forward or aft of the axle, relative to the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals