• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coronavirus

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I think the mask requirement is meant to make the general public feel good with a visible measure than anything. The government has to show that it is "doing something". People feel so much better when the government does that, even if it is ineffectual, much like a lot of other things it does. Because people scream "do something' at them, many don't care if it is the right or wrong thing, just that it's "something".
Exactly. That’s why lawn mowers have labels telling you not to stick your hands in the blade area instead of the government prohibiting idiots from buying lawn mowers.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the mask requirement is meant to make the general public feel good with a visible measure than anything. The government has to show that it is "doing something". People feel so much better when the government does that, even if it is ineffectual, much like a lot of other things it does. Because people scream "do something' at them, many don't care if it is the right or wrong thing, just that it's "something".

Yes, I agree
Hoarding is a part of that as well, when people feel "powerless" the act of buying more than needed supplies gives them the feeling they are doing "something"
Right or wrong, they are doing "something"

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Especially with the whole toilet paper thing for a respiratory infection that doesn't make you go to the bathroom any more than before...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Exactly. That’s why lawn mowers have labels telling you not to stick your hands in the blade area instead of the government prohibiting idiots from buying lawn mowers.
I think the whole warning label thing is more for protection from lawsuits after some dumbass sticks a hand in their running mower, or uses a hairdryer whilst still in the tub, or tries shutting down the stroller with their child still in it.

I KNOW that's why McDonald's coffee cups have to say CAUTION:HOT!

Lol. I really hate people, and what they do to society.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Especially with the whole toilet paper thing for a respiratory infection that doesn't make you go to the bathroom any more than before...
But if you can't go anywhere... not like you can use the Sears catalog anymore.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
But if you can't go anywhere... not like you can use the Sears catalog anymore.
But they were doing it before any stay at home recommendations or orders were even a thought. A totally thoughtless reaction, much like making a run for milk and bread because a snow storm is in the weather forecast.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Masks work. If they didn’t work, doctors and nurses wouldn’t wear them and hospitals wouldn’t be running out of them.
The government originally said that masks won’t help you out in public, but the CDC says that a N95 mask protects both the wearer and the people around them. (N95 masks stop 95% of particles larger then .3 microns... they aren’t directional, the mask doesn’t care if you’re breathing in or out. It’s just a filter.)

In all reality, anything is better then nothing. There’s a better chance of a homemade mask stopping you from catching the virus then no mask.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
In all reality, anything is better then nothing. There’s a better chance of a homemade mask stopping you from catching the virus then no mask.
Amen! There is no vaccine, and it will be a while before there is one. The medical community is still figuring out how to treat people who have gotten sick from it. It seems that some people get lightly ill, some people get really sick, and then some people get deathly ill and die from it. They're saying now that people can get the virus, and then spread it to others without having symptoms of their own. I simply don't want to get sick, or worse, from COVID-19. Anything I can do to reduce my chances of catching it, I'll do. I don't think that this will "just go away . . . like a miracle". A vaccine is needed to stop it, and until then life must go on, as such as we can make it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Masks work. If they didn’t work, doctors and nurses wouldn’t wear them and hospitals wouldn’t be running out of them.
The government originally said that masks won’t help you out in public, but the CDC says that a N95 mask protects both the wearer and the people around them. (N95 masks stop 95% of particles larger then .3 microns... they aren’t directional, the mask doesn’t care if you’re breathing in or out. It’s just a filter.)

As long as people follow all the recommendations that go along with mask wearing. Only touch the ear pieces, wash your hands before donning or doffing the mask, wash your hands after donning or doffing the mask, and proper decontamination procedures for the mask once it is worn. After years of Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical training and practice wearing the stuff, I know all the steps of cross contamination prevention off by heart. How many people without that training are going to bother learning it from the information that has been provided all over the place? I'm betting not many, so the mask wearing is not going to help with anything other than being a feel good measure.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heath care works can't observe the 6ft rule, so they need N95 masks, and face shields as well

The problem with wearing a mask is that the outside of the mask would protect you, possibly, but if you were exposed, then now the virus is on the outside of the mask
So when you touch it to remove it your hands are now possible carriers, or if you put same mask back on virus could have penetrated it so is now on the inside for you to inhale

IMO it just adds another level of possible infection unless used correctly

Wash your hands

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Heath care works can't observe the 6ft rule, so they need N95 masks, and face shields as well

The problem with wearing a mask is that the outside of the mask would protect you, possibly, but if you were exposed, then now the virus is on the outside of the mask
So when you touch it to remove it your hands are now possible carriers, or if you put same mask back on virus could have penetrated it so is now on the inside for you to inhale

IMO it just adds another level of possible infection unless used correctly

Wash your hands
Exactly what sandman was getting at.

Proper procedures are what makes the mask effective at all. Even a mask that may only be 50% effective to begin with is worthless if not handled correctly. Same with rubber gloves. I’ve seen so many people do a dirty task with gloves. Then carelessly grab the outside of the gloves when taking them off. At that point, the gloves were a total waste of time and money.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Yes, I agree
Hoarding is a part of that as well, when people feel "powerless" the act of buying more than needed supplies gives them the feeling they are doing "something"
Right or wrong, they are doing "something"
Funny about the TP hoarding...it seems that we're not really hoarding anymore. Saw a news blurb a few days ago, and it seems that there is no real shortage of TP.
There are 2 types, the industrial stuff, one ply garbage you find in restrooms across the nation, and the soft poofy 2 ply stuff we buy for our homes. What they said was that since everyone is staying home now, including your average 2, 3, 4 kids home from school, everyone is using way more tp than normal.
Something like 70-75% of us used to go poopie at work, school, or while we were out shopping a Lowes, WalMart, ect, using up their tp. Now everyone is using their own. Ever watch a 6 year old go pottie...they don't use kust 4-5 sheets...they use 1/4 roll at a time. I know for fact, my daughter in law dosen't hoard, but the 3 grandkids, 3, 6, 10, use A LOT of tp, so when she goes shopping, she buys A LOT.
And, the companies that make the 2 types of tp are not the same, and one cannot be converted to the other...single ply paper makers cannot convert their machines to make 2 ply.
So, there is now a huge glut of the industrial stuff in warehouses, and they have stopped producing it for now, while the good stuff is being made 24/7 to keep up with the demand.
Interesting way to look at it.
Grumpaw

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think it's funny how there is no toilet paper on the shelves but plenty of napkins. I have no problem finding napkins and paper towels but cant find much TP around here without a "1 limit" rule. I bet 5% of people know how to actually wear PPE properly. Like the guy said about the rubber gloves, if you don't remove them correctly then it didn't really help. I have to have first aid/CPR training every 2 years so I know the ins and outs of PPE.

I still like Ginger Billy's COVID-19 PPE. "NOTHING gets through a bounty paper towel, NOTHING!"

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Went to ACE today and had a funny conversation. The governor banned all new construction, I work with lots of contractors and one was in ACE asking the guys what the law was and if he's not allowed to start a new peoject. Technically your allowed to finish any current work so the guy goes "go out in the middle of the night and dig a small hole, then you can say the hole was dug last week so the project was already started and so its legal to continue the work".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals