• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

conceal carry gun rant

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Beats a sharp stick.
You won't even wake the neighors with a bow, and once drawn it is in whoever you are pointing it at's best interest to keep you healthy. :icon_twisted:

IN is NOT an open carry state. If it was I would not have applied for my CCP. Depending on where you are depends on the people around you react to someone 'having a gun'. A friend lives in Brownsburg and is constantly getting harassed bc he carries all the time. One time he said the officer completely dissembled his firearm and gave it back to him in pieces bc someone called in saying someone as a gun. Not being aware of your constitutional right is no reason to be ignorant. :annoyed:
I think Iowa is an open carry state, I can't see much good coming from carrying open because if somebody is going to start something the open carrier will be the first target.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i like open carry b/c it makes a statement
i like concealed carry b/c it keeps me hidden in the crowd

tony314

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Missouri is an OC state,BUT the state has allowed cities and towns to regulate it aka no pre-emption. We are working on several bills now to do away with the part allowing cities regulate open carry. The bills have a TON of support and attention unlike previous years. I open carry regularly, but if in question, I just conceal.

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
I think Iowa is an open carry state, I can't see much good coming from carrying open because if somebody is going to start something the open carrier will be the first target.
open carry doesnt really mean a a revolver with an 10 inch barrel on your hip. i would like open carry so i can carry my 1911, with a tshirt draped over it, and not have to worry about getting in trouble if someone sees it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My opinion is, the most important thing is being the first one to put the bullets on the other guy. I don't need knock-down power because I'm not a cop and I'm not in the army. If I can be the first one to shoot, the bad guy isn't going to be shooting back, even if I didn't blow his head off. I'll finish my magazine and if he's still a threat, I'll kick the shit out of him. I don't think 8 .22LR rounds from 7 feet (the average distance of a gun fight) are going to go unnoticed.

I like guns and I think everyone should own them and carry them. My own thoughts, though, are what I do in daily life and anything large enough to need a holster doesn't work. I want maximum speed and immediate presentation. My choice to carry (I have a lot of guns, incidentally) is the Beretta Bobcat. It fits fully in the hand (unlike a Browning Baby which I own) and is as great a small pistol as the military Beretta is a large one. I entered the marines when they issued the M1911 and the Beretta has a much more natural feel for the average user and is a more reliable and accurate weapon, out of the box. The little Bobcat has those same qualities, but is extremely cheap to shoot.

Which brings up a point doorgunner was making--practice. Using a pistol or revolver as a weapon isn't like a rifle. A pistol is an extension of your fist. They shouldn't even have sights on them because in combat shooting, you don't use them. You use muscle memory. In training you have that weapon in your hand for 10 hours a day and it becomes part of you. You can point it like pointing your finger. You've got so many rounds through it that trigger control is perfectly balanced between palm and finger and you don't pull the muzzle off to the right when you fire. You have thousands of rounds through a weapon that you could shoot blindfolded at a voice and know you hit the person talking. I know these things from professional experience, so when I decided to carry a pistol, I balanced them. I knew I needed to shoot it a lot--a whole lot. .22 ammo is cheap. When I held the Beretta Bobcat in my hand, I knew it was right. It was crap until I got 1,000 rounds through it, but now it is smooth and reliable--I've been carrying it since I bought it in 1999--before my association with TRS.

It's like a mini-maglite to me. I have a 12-gauge with #4 buck to protect my home. I don't need the halogen work light for walking around.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow will, well said! i would like to comment on a few things though...

first, you're first paragraph about how regardless of the size they are going to feel it... well on this, i would like to comment that my OPINION, and i'm basing that on nothing more than opinion, that i disagree... i don't think i would feel a small bullet, and if i do, certainly not the same as say, a 45 or such... i honestly think of it like a sharp knife vs a dull knife cutting you... (surface area) i was actually thinking about this today before i started drtinking, but i think a 22 wouldn't hurt MUCH... regardless, please don't shoot me with one, i have no desire to show girls my "war wounds" either way, 22's have proven deadly in the past, and of course they could kill someone, even 1 shot halfassedly placed in center mass...

last paragraph about size, comfortability, and practice, absolutely agree with what you said... and love the analogy about the maglight and flood light

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
open carry doesnt really mean a a revolver with an 10 inch barrel on your hip. i would like open carry so i can carry my 1911, with a tshirt draped over it, and not have to worry about getting in trouble if someone sees it.
Where is the fun in that? :icon_twisted:

I bet you could still get some excitement out of a crowd if someone saw it though...

I did see a tv show awhile ago (some game warden show) and there was a guy that was hunting raccoons with dogs and like most people that do that he had a .22 revolver on his hip. He was talking with the warden and happened to turn and his shirt covered up his pistol for a minute second... bammo got hit for concealed weapon without a permit.

Question of the day, does a holster count as as being concealed? When I am hunting I carry mine in a civil war style US calvery holster, 7.5" barrel there is no secrets what it is. But the entire pistol is concealed in the holster aside from the butt of the grip. If my coat moved just right it wouldn't take much to cover up the grip...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
A .380, 9mm., 38, 357, all expand. But a 45 won't get no smaller!!!!!!!
a Long time ago a friend of mine took time at his wedding to take me aside and ask "Al, is it true? Your brother told me you bought a 9mm! I can't believe you bought a 9mm!"

As I explained it it was a compact 9mm, a S&W 469 and I bought an ankle holster with it.

It was a backup in case my 10mm had an "issue" (or I managed to burn through all three mags (one "in" and two spares) of 10mm Norma ammo that I usually carried with it

Frankly I can't imagine what situation I could run into that I could not completely solve with 28rounds of full power "old school" 10mm 180gr hollow points... that an additional 25rounds of 9mm is gonna fix, and frankly I hope I never find out...

But I've always been a believer in the addage that the pistol is only supposed to let you fight your way to a rifle...

Muzzle flash is also dependent on the powder used, my 700ft/lb 10mm Auto loads using AA#9 have almost no perceivable muzzle flash and pack quite a bit more punch than a .45acp.
I specifically loaded ammo for my 223's with Alliant Reloader7 for "low flash"
at night...

But what I like about the 10mm is that it shoots a 180gr hollowpoint, same weight as a 45ACP defense load at speeds that 38super afficianados wish they could safely achieve... if weight is good and Velocity is good both must be really something...

Though years ago I used to do some bowling pin shooting with a 38super.
and I was damned good at it, when I got the 10mm which I believed was more accurate I was politely asked to not use it, bowling pins I shot with the 10mm usually came apart and thus weren't much use for targets anymore...

Frankly the damage to the bowling pins was nearly indestinguishable from shooting similar pins with 12ga BRI sabot slugs. I say nearly because the 10mm didn't leave lead smudges.

On Dirty Harry

the 44Magnum Smith&Wesson Model 29 that Clint Eastwood "used"
in the first Dirty HArry movie was not a S&W Mod29 that much is true.

However it was not a 45LC.

What was used where the revolver can be seen clearly is a BORROWED S&W Model 41 in 41Magnum. when it is seen "shooting" it is actually a S&W Model 27 in 357Mag that would chamber and shoot the standard 38caliber blanks used in Hollywood at the time.

John Milius the director, not of that film but of the later films in the series
and an uncredited screenwriter and effects consultant of the film was unable to obtain a Model 29 in time for the filming of the movie and thus used the substitutions of the Model 41 and model 27 which from a short distance are identical as all are "N-frame" S&W revolvers.

John has talked about it at length in multiple interviews.

AD

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
But what I like about the 10mm is that it shoots a 180gr hollowpoint, same weight as a 45ACP defense load at speeds that 38super afficianados wish they could safely achieve... if weight is good and Velocity is good both must be really something...
:icon_thumby:

I'm anxious to try a 135gr Nosler load but just haven't had the time or weather cooperate to do it. I'm thinking 135gr JHP moving at 1600-1700FPS is going to be quite devastating.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ted Nugent Killed a cape buffalo with a 10mmAuto....

Personally I'd prefer something larger and longer in a >40 caliber
for that job, say a 416Remington...

But I forgot to mention that I bought that 9mm to replace a 380

People who think a 45ACP in a 1911 is "powerful" amuse me... I've
shot up a couple of cars with a 45auto and found annoying things like
bullets imbedded in the sidewall of a tire that was still, inflated...
and bullets trapped between the layers of a laminate windshield....

On the other hand my favorite piece at the time, a national match grade
1911 in 38super completely penetrated the doors and window regulators
on both sides of a 1974 Oldsmobile 98...

My brother now has that 38Super, because he trusts it far more as a daily
carry gun than the 45 Combat commander he tried to replace it with...

And where he lives in Wyoming there are creatures that can be more unpleasant
than I'd want to confront with a 45.

Of course if he's looking for trouble he's got a 460smith:)

AD

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
This caliber is best! No THis caliber is best. NO, you're all WRong, THIS one is the best....

Really? Really? It's going to be like that??

IMHO, the BEST caliber to carry is the one YOU feel most comfortable with shooting ACCURATELY.

That said, the .25 auto has to be about the most worthless cartridge out there. Knock the .22 if you want, but at least that has penetration on it's side (ever see just what a .22 will punch through? It has far more penetrating power than even a .32 auto). If I carried, the two smallest calibers I'd consider would be a .22 or a .380. That said, since I'm comfortable shooting even .44 mags, I would probably settle on a .45.

Yes, any gun looks big when you're looking at the business end. But there are some people (especially those tanked on drugs) that such a thing does not cause them to wet their pants and run the other way. In that case, do you want to hit them with a tiny bullet, or the biggest chunk of lead you can throw at them?

And don't give me that crap that "I'll just shoot them in the head." Sure, it's easy enough at the range. But when the lighting sucks, you have 2 seconds to pull the trigger, and you have a quart of adrenaline running through your system - just how accurate do you think you're going to be??

Few years back I heard of a shop keeper who had been robbed and beaten a couple times. He had some guy come in and rob him and as the robber was leaving (after bouncing his head off the counter a couple times), the guy pulled out a .25 auto and emptied the mag into the guy's back at a range of less than 10 foot. The guy stopped, turned around, and beat the shop owner nearly to death before leaving. Police caught up with the robber at a local hospital having the bullets removed, which penetrated LESS THAN AN INCH into his body.

Now I'm sure it wasn't fun to be shot like that, but how would you like to be the shop keeper who got beat nearly to death AFTER shooting someone?

Me? In that sort of situation I'd like to hit the guy with a hollow point that has a hole big enough to mix a martini in. Or three or four of them. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting again - bullets are cheap, life is expensive.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The accuracy is actually a good point... For my job I had to do a qualification course, it's a 2 week course with several tests, and simunation, the test was a 50 round test, with 100% round accountability, our target is a silhouette of a person, with a line drawn 2" inside of the border, inside that line is a hit, outside the line is a miss, outside the silhouette is an instant fail, max 5 misses per attempt, 2 attempts max, my first try I scored 98% (1 miss) my second attempt, I scored 100%

In the test, the range goes from 2m, to 20m, and it is timed, time foul counts as a miss...

So anyways, I scored 98 and 100%, we go to the simunation training, which is real "live fire" situations, on one specific scenario, I had 18 rounds (6 shooter, 2x speed loaders) I got 17 rounds off into the enemy, before cease fire was called, I hit them twice, distance was approx 5-10m, there was me and my partner, initially 1 assailant, then a second one came out shortly after shooting started

Sent from somewhere naughty!

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Me? In that sort of situation I'd like to hit the guy with a hollow point that has a hole big enough to mix a martini in. Or three or four of them. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting again - bullets are cheap, life is expensive.
No matter what pistol I had in that situation I would be wishing for my shotgun... hard to conceal it without walking funny though...:annoyed:

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
No matter what pistol I had in that situation I would be wishing for my shotgun... hard to conceal it without walking funny though...:annoyed:
True 'nuff!

I remember hearing a story about a Texas Ranger that had an interview with some reporter. He walked into the interview with his .45 auto strapped on his hip and the female interviewer asked him if he was wearing the gun because he was expecting trouble....

His reply was: "No Ma'am, if I was expecting trouble I would have brought my rifle."

Pistols are to save your sorry butt when it counts. If you expect to be in a gunfight, you bring something more potent. Like a shotgun or rifle. Nothing like being able to blow something in half or reach out and touch someone.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals