• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clickin noise when clutch released,louder under load, all gears except forth,

phyd3ux

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1999 ranger 4.0 @200,000 manual 4wd

I recently checked and filled transmission, and front diff, and transfer case, then this clicking under load started, I rechecked the fluid levels, made sure nothing was overfilled, checked three sources as to type of fluid.. the little black rubber dust cover on the transmission, i crawled under and listened while it was running, and removed black rubber cover and it sounds like its coming from there, and all gears but forth.. Im no mechanic, I've owned ford rangers for 15 years.. I know the basic idea behind the parts, but nothing as to what this might be. Or if it's related to the fluid. at first I thought maybe the transfer case was stuck between gears, or 2 and 4wd..
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
i remember something about forth gear being the only gear thats running the same RPM as the engine, if so, is whatever compensates for the difference stuck, or burned up and clicking. aliens?
or I might be crazy. ex-wife thought so. but she was a.... besides her sisters cuter. More fun to hang out with. Drinks beer.
Thanks,
Ryan

robby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Same problem

I just had the same problem and the trans detonated on me even lost reverse had to pull out in 4th three times on the way home was the fm145 just got another one and it won't stay in first grinds and pops out

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just take it apart and find out what broke. There aren't too many parts in there...

Ok, seriously, don't let that pic scare you, there are 2 M5s there.

As for your problem, it could be the gear set($$$), or just a pocket bearing($), or a few other things if it only does it when the input and main shafts aren't locked. Dunno..., I gave up diagnosis from descriptions.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals