• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Boss 302 Swap Advise

EBranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys I got a 1990 automatic 2wd and want to swap a 302 into it as well as a manual transmission (I’m a novice to this but have lots of experienced friends to help). Do you think it would be easier to purchase a running engine + transmission separately and look for the accompanying accessories or should I look for a 302 older mustang donor car? If I get a donor car, what are some good places to look to ensure I get a good vehicle? Would I need custom trans mounts and drive shaft adapters?

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, welcome.

First bit of advise is to read over all these pages threads about what troubles and expenses people have encountered. Asking a loaded question as what is easiest? There is no easy to this, depends on skill level and how deep you want to go into the rabbit hole, and how much money you have for a budget.

As for vehicle depends on what your expectations are for your build ... EFI or carb is the first question you need to answer.

If efi, go for a explorer V8 as you get all the wiring bits and bobs with it (hopefully)... any donor car will get you 1 of 2 things ... a good engine or someone's money pit.

Ask all the questions you need answered, but there are many very informative pages in here to read first.

cheers and good luck

EBranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
HI Angie,

Thank you for the response. I was thinking of going for EFI and pulling the comp and wiring from the donor. I was initially thinking explorer V8 but they are surprisingly hard to find in my area - the early to mid 90s mustang gts are really easy to find. I guess easy is the wrong term, I was just wondering if having a donor car simplified the process since you have the accessories already instead of searching for them somewhere else. I'll keep looking for some good pages here on mustang 5.0L swaps

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I always forget to mention the tech pages....

this is some great info to browse through.

cheers

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Boss 302's were only built in 69 and 70,are worth mega dollars now, and would be a poor choice for a street driven truck because their huge valves make them doggy at low revs. I'd use a 302 new enough to have a roller cam so you don't have to use a zinc additive and it opens up a lot more cam choices. A mustang engine with EFI will be a roller cam, as will an Explorer. 1986 Mustangs used unique pistons and heads, they ran fine but it makes modification more complicated. T Birds and Explorers also have shorter FEAD (front end accessory drive) systems to make fitting them in a Ranger easier. I found that out after hollowing out my core support and putting the radiator inside it to clear my Mustang pulleys and brackets.

EBranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Walt,

yep sorry bout that I meant the standard 5.0 302s. That’s good info about the shorter front end accessories - I wish I could use an explorer but the options are just so limited for me here unfortunately. And thanks Angie, i’ll check out those links

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
EB, I just noticed your location. Are you in California? if so .. this might change all your options.

EBranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Angie,

Yep i’m in California, what options do I have?

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
You are limited to what engine(s) specs and years you are allowed to use. I am not 100% sure the regulations for you state, however, from what other people have talked about in other builds, they have to follow guidelines for smog and stuff.

I am sure someone who knows more will chime in as I am not in the know.

cheers

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Angie,

Yep i’m in California, what options do I have?
That's a good point, do the research first before doing a lot of work and spending money. NH does OBD II emissions testing on 96 and newer vehicles, that's why I used a 93 for my 351 swap. I'm sure California has a lot more regulations. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals